Defensive Carry banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to train for IDPA to become better at SD, but not compete. I don't have the time or money to get involved in that. Is there any place I can do the training only? I live in CT.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I am not sure I understand the question. If you won't actually be doing IDPA competition, what do you mean by IDPA "training only"?

If you mean you want a local IDPA club but that you won't be doing major matches, that's easy; lots of people do that. Go to International Defensive Pistol Association's web site and look up a club near you. If you are close enough, the Smith & Wesson Academy in Springfield, Mass, has an IDPA club and it is probably a good place to hook up with people who can steer you towards more defensive techniques. Janq shoots there, so maybe he can chime in.

In reality, though, you probably want to take at least one professionally taught class in self defense with firearms. For defensive purposes, that will be a better use of your money than shooting in local matches.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not sure I understand the question. If you won't actually be doing IDPA competition, what do you mean by IDPA "training only"?

If you mean you want a local IDPA club but that you won't be doing major matches, that's easy; lots of people do that. Go to International Defensive Pistol Association's web site and look up a club near you. If you are close enough, the Smith & Wesson Academy in Springfield, Mass, has an IDPA club and it is probably a good place to hook up with people who can steer you towards more defensive techniques. Janq shoots there, so maybe he can chime in.

In reality, though, you probably want to take at least one professionally taught class in self defense with firearms. For defensive purposes, that will be a better use of your money than shooting in local matches.
Shooting steel plates, getting off the X, dealing with multiple attackers are all skills that IDPA training would improve. I'd like to find a place that has a set up and practice when I could. I don't have time to train on the time: I already do martial arts and I have a busy schedule. I guess I'm looking for a place that could accommodate me.

·
Registered
779 Posts
For IDPA/competition (only) you could talk to Scott Warren. He does "competition tune up" classes that fare pretty well. For Defensive purposes, keep an eye open for Rob Pincus' classes too. I.C.E. Training | Home is his website.

·
Registered
239 Posts
What you need to do is take a handgun oriented defense class(es) to get an idea of for what you need to practice for your situation. Then you need to find a range or club that will allow you to do "action" type shooting. You will possibly need to obtain your own targets, target stands, cover, etc. but there are plenty of sources for this type of stuff (and cheap) if you even minimally handy.
Here is a link to CT ranges. Look for "PRAC" in the descriptions.
The Gun Guy® - Connecticut Range Listings
I do think IDPA has some crossover value for self defense, but the "tactics" that are appropriate for the IDPA game are not always appropriate for defense. I think if you just did IDPA without good training first, you could pick up some seriously dangerous habits.
After getting some defensive training you can do some IDPA which does have some usefulness as you do have to shoot "on the clock." You will also see some seriously good shooters and pick up on their techniques. You can also use stages that you have shot in IDPA as a guide to setting up defensive scenarios and then practice them as you would tactically.
Given your original post, I would recommend practicing for defense and just shooting the occasional IDPA match for "something different."
Be careful though, action sport shooting is addictive!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts