Defensive Carry banner

If I had a choice between 147gr 9mm XTP or Critical Defense?

20869 Views 47 Replies 37 Participants Last post by  NelsonHolsters
Long story short when I purchased my firearm a year or so ago this was literally the only two types of 9mm JHP ammo I could find in local stores, considering there was an ammo shortage at the time and I didn't know much about different brands of ammo (except that FMJ is a dumb idea for SD) I went ahead and bought like 13 boxes of it, mix of the two. I have an s&w SD9VE, 4" barrel. I've heard of the Critical Defense sometimes failing to feed because of the polymer tip, which is obviously a scary thing in a defensive situation. I've personally shot the XTP 147 grains on the range, they feed flawlessly and are very very accurate, some people have mentioned though that they tend to over penetrate as a self defense round, but considering I'm using a full sized gun with a 4" barrel do you think this would be a big issue? Really don't have money to blow on a bunch of new ammo considering I already have a ton. I haven't personally tested the CD's on range to know if they will be a problem or not, there's limited ranges where I recently moved to and they're pretty expensive around here for some reason.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
3,972 Posts
Shoot what works best in your weapon. The most critical factor in a carry weapon is reliability. If it doesn't work every time, don't carry it.

Reactions: tns0038

· Registered
1,765 Posts
what ever works, and I like both those and would not hesitate to use either. I always run at least a box or 2 of what ever SD ammo I plan to use through my gun just to be sure its reliable with that. Ive run XTP,Golden Sabres,Gold dot,Critical defense and duty and Ranger through mine and they all work fine/feed fine.

· Registered
8,043 Posts
I agree with Glockman and would add that the Federal HST & Speer Gold Dots are also excellent choices. The HST seems to be in stock in most places around here. Good luck!

· Registered
78,969 Posts
Critical crap anything would be my last choice compared to about anything.

A good conventional HP is my choice, and the XTP is one of the best.
I've got enough 9mm Hydra-shoks on hand to kill everyone. They will have to do for a while.

· Registered
7,643 Posts
Me too. It's been my duty round for years. And I like those as well.
Same here. I've moved to HSTs in 9mm and .45 ACP, but I've still got some Hydro-Shoks in inventory I'm gradually expending. I have had no problem finding defensive ammo at decent prices from the various on line retailers. I prefer the Federal Law Enforcement rounds as the 50 round box of LE sells for not much more than the 20 round self defense packaged ammo.

But when all is said and done, most any JHP round will likely do the job.

Reactions: 5lima30ret

· Banned
1,888 Posts
The XTP bullet was originally made as a hunting round with minimal expansion for deeper penetration. With the heavier 147 grain I have been seeing 17"+ through gel.

9mm Hornady Critical Defense, 115 grain is a similar small expanding round, but will only penetrate 12" to 14" due to its lower bullet weight.

The 124 grain Federal HST is a good compromise between expansion and penetration.

· Registered
8,546 Posts
I've got enough 9mm Hydra-shoks on hand to kill everyone. They will have to do for a while.
We don't own a 9mm but I have several in .45 ACP and don't doubt they'll ruin a bad guys day and likely his future

Reactions: MisterMills357

· Registered
9,408 Posts
OP, If you have plenty of ammo that is working fine in your gun, Id keep using that! One day at the range test the CD rounds. Either will get the job done. If you are asking for My personal opinion Id stick with the heaviest bullet in that caliber. I don't worry about over penetration. DR

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The XTP bullet was originally made as a hunting round with minimal expansion for deeper penetration. With the heavier 147 grain I have been seeing 17"+ through gel.

9mm Hornady Critical Defense, 115 grain is a similar small expanding round, but will only penetrate 12" to 14" due to its lower bullet weight.

The 124 grain Federal HST is a good compromise between expansion and penetration.
I've seen several ballistics gel tests on the CD and they all come in perfect no matter the size of the gun, I'm mostly worried about them not feeding but I've read several people use them in the gun I own and those who did have issues had issues with other rounds too after some more research.

I've chambered and unchambered several of the CD's without issue if that of any indication.

I have no doubt the XTP will stop a criminal with good shot placement but I'm worried about hitting an innocent bystander.

· Premium Member
7,859 Posts
I've seen several ballistics gel tests on the CD and they all come in perfect no matter the size of the gun, I'm mostly worried about them not feeding but I've read several people use them in the gun I own and those who did have issues had issues with other rounds too after some more research.

I've chambered and unchambered several of the CD's without issue if that of any indication.

I have no doubt the XTP will stop a criminal with good shot placement but I'm worried about hitting an innocent bystander.
The only way to know for sure if a particular round will function is to live-cycle it through the gun. That means, shoot it.

· Registered
6,607 Posts
It depends on the barrel length. If you watch the tests on shottingthebull410's channel, you will see the Hornady select (XTP) fail miserably in gel tests whereas the Critical Duty does quite well. his tests are out of a 3" gun though. From a 4" or longer barrel, just about anything brand name works pretty well.

I used to lament over handgun ballistics. Then I bought a rifle. When I saw the EXTREME violence with which a rifle round impacts a steel target vs my 9mm I quit worrying about it. It is true what they say, Handguns suck, it's just that simple. And no, that doesn't mean I want to get shot with one, nor do I think they aren't effective tools for defense. They are what we can have with us all the time. But stats say 85% of people shot by handguns live.

What matters in handguns is what feeds well and what you can shoot well.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It depends on the barrel length. If you watch the tests on shottingthebull410's channel, you will see the Hornady select (XTP) fail miserably in gel tests whereas the Critical Duty does quite well. his tests are out of a 3" gun though. From a 4" or longer barrel, just about anything brand name works pretty well.

I used to lament over handgun ballistics. Then I bought a rifle. When I saw the EXTREME violence with which a rifle round impacts a steel target vs my 9mm I quit worrying about it. It is true what they say, Handguns suck, it's just that simple. And no, that doesn't mean I want to get shot with one, nor do I think they aren't effective tools for defense. They are what we can have with us all the time. But stats say 85% of people shot by handguns live.

What matters in handguns is what feeds well and what you can shoot well.
Yeah I saw him say out of a 4" barrel they'd probably hit the right amount of penetration, though I never found any tests to say this. I'll carry the XTP until i practice with the CD's then, I know the XTP cycles fine and is very accurate as I've practiced with it before. I won't miss. First time I picked up a gun I was hitting 5" groups, I'm genetically good at shooting things lol.

· Registered
96 Posts
Long story short when I purchased my firearm a year or so ago this was literally the only two types of 9mm JHP ammo I could find in local stores, considering there was an ammo shortage at the time and I didn't know much about different brands of ammo (except that FMJ is a dumb idea for SD) I went ahead and bought like 13 boxes of it, mix of the two. I have an s&w SD9VE, 4" barrel. I've heard of the Critical Defense sometimes failing to feed because of the polymer tip, which is obviously a scary thing in a defensive situation. I've personally shot the XTP 147 grains on the range, they feed flawlessly and are very very accurate, some people have mentioned though that they tend to over penetrate as a self defense round, but considering I'm using a full sized gun with a 4" barrel do you think this would be a big issue? Really don't have money to blow on a bunch of new ammo considering I already have a ton. I haven't personally tested the CD's on range to know if they will be a problem or not, there's limited ranges where I recently moved to and they're pretty expensive around here for some reason.
Shooting out of a 4" barrel, you should be fine as far as the over penetration. The people I know who shoot it have good things to say about it, and if you've had no issues, your weapon must like it, so stick with what works.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts