Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you carry something different then what you carry now? I got to thinking about this today when I was having a conversation with a friend of mine. I am currently carrying a Taurus 709 because it is the only gun that offers all the options I want. Sub compact, adjustable rear sight, external thumb saftey, single stack and it's crazy light.

When my friend (a IPD swat officer) asked me what I carry and I told him he said "You have a good job, why carry a cheap gun?". Now granted, the cost of the gun was a nice bonus but didn't really factor into the purchase of the gun. Though it did make me think, if I got a "1 free gun of your choosing coupon" would I carry something different?

How about you? If you could carry anything you wanted without having to worry about cost would you carry something other then what you are carrying now?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
No, I'd probably just carry two of them if money were no option. I'm a huge fan of the .40 S&W, and in my experiences with concealed handguns I've found that for me the Glock 23 fits all of my needs.

Compactness, concealability, and high capacity. Not to mention it's reputation for reliability. I'm pretty happy I got the one bought for the ex last year back in my grubby mitts. :yup:

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
If money were no issue I'd carry a custom 1911, commander size. Why? Because I like the 1911 very much and find shots are faster and more accurate for me. The thing that keeps me from carrying a 1911 now is the fact that if I were in a situation where I had to fire it in defense, the authorities would take it for their investigation and I don't want to give up a 1911 that is both expensive (compared to say a Glock) and hard to get. I can go out and buy another Glock anywhere, not so with a nice custom or semi-custom 1911.

Not to mention scratches and scuffs from holster time.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Would I carry something differant no. Sig P220, maybe the more modern model or a SAO version. But No still Sig P220.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Rollo,
I carry a PT145 daily could I afford a higher priced firearm YES....it has the best feel and the most comfortable for me. The $ snobs always crack me up.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Would I carry something differant no. Sig P220, maybe the more modern model or a SAO version. But No still Sig P220.
SIG P220 for me as well, mine is the newer "Carry" model with DA/SA action. :wave:

Although, my new P239 SAS .40 cal might soon replace it.:danceban:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I like both pieces I carry. Or else I wouldn't have bought them.

BUUUT..
I new Kimber Pro-Raptor.. Thats a nice gun. OR an Ed Brown

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have bought the guns I want, so more money would not change anything. Sure, I'd buy even more guns, but I have a lot of nice guns in multiple platforms, so I'd just be adding depth.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
How about you? If you could carry anything you wanted without having to worry about cost would you carry something other then what you are carrying now?
Nope. I'm set.

·
Banned
160 Posts
I'd still have the same gun, for the same reasons as the OP's. It has what I want in a gun.

For the OP,
If the gun has the features you want and it's reliable then there is no 'better" gun at any price. It's not like a gun that costs twice as much shoots two bullets at a time, one that cost three times as much shoots three and so on. Don't worry about your friends opinion, it's worth what you paid him for it.

I'll bill you for my opinion...lol.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'd probably still be carrying what I currently have. Hard to beat my Glocks and the LCP is perfect when I absolutely need concealment. I would however add a Sig and 1911 to my collection, but they would probably stay at home for the range. Maybe I'll win the NRA sweepstakes that I sent in today and will have plenty to choose from.

·
Registered
545 Posts
For a safe queen - sure I'd get something ridiculous.

For carry - no, I have the optimum gun for my purposes now.

Bobo

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Nope, I wouldn't change. I'm pretty sure I have the best that money can buy.
Sure, there are more expensive and fancy options... but for a practical combat gun, money isn't an issue.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I already do, and my self-defense weapons never cut corners on cost, and they are thoroughly rung out before they get carried on or about my person. The gun you see as my avatar at left I have carried since 1995, along the way I added only the features I needed to make it smoother, easier for me to pick up the sights, and then hard-chromed so my grandkids will be shooting it one day, plus it looks pretty darn good dressed up in chrome; the gun has had around 30,000 flawless rounds through it and still locks up like a bank vault.....

So don't ever cut corners on costs; especially when your life may count on it. Get a quality weapon, paying 500-1000 dollars is small compared to what you will fork out for an attorney to defend you anyway - so why worry about spending a grand on a good pistol, I ask?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Nope. I'm set.
I guess this is my outlook too.

With handguns, it seems like you could spend endless amounts of money on "pretty" guns that might work really well, but when it comes down to it, a good ole' reliable workhorse comes relatively cheaply.

Now, if money were no option for rifles etc, I'd have to rethink that proposition.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Money isn't an issue. My wife and I choose to carry what we do because those weapons best meet our needs.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts