Defensive Carry banner

61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
The thing people miss out on is the fact they see dollar signs and don’t compare them to the worth of them and there family. One of those Meteorite 1911s is worth far less then my loved ones.
I agree, but does a $10k 1911 offer you anything that will protect you better than a $500 Glock? Probably not. The question was about EDC. Why risk $10k when you can risk $500?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree, but does a $10k 1911 offer you anything that will protect you better than a $500 Glock? Probably not. The question was about EDC. Why risk $10k when you can risk $500?
Not sure about a $10k 1911, but I can certainly say my $1300 Dan Wesson Vigil CCO shoots way better than my Glock, like they're worlds apart. I actually look like I can shoot with the 1911. YMMV

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 · (Edited)
Wilson combat edcx9

Edit to say: I love and edc my hellcat. It fits like a glove but the Wilson is next on my list. Will probably not get carried much at all. I work in Memphis, TN and work in several places you aren’t allowed to carry and you get searched therefore leaves me locking it up in my console. Not ideal for a 3k gun!!

I’m not saying my family or loved ones are not worth $3000, I have plenty of other cheaper options that I carry currently. Just answering the question of if money was not an object right now, what gun would I purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Wilson I have now in for warranty repairs will be my last from them. There’s other Tier 1 manufacturers of 1911’s like Ed Brown. The 💩 I’ve gone through after spending $4200 has been a real eye opener. Even if it comes back to me and fires 1000% perfect, I doubt that I’ll ever trust it to defend myself and my wife. I’ll stay with the HK45 and TRP 10mm for that. At least until I can scrounge up something like an Ed Brown SF 1911 like my buddies shown here:

·
Premium Member
6,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Not sure about a $10k 1911, but I can certainly say my $1300 Dan Wesson Vigil CCO shoots way better than my Glock, like they're worlds apart. I actually look like I can shoot with the 1911. YMMV

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
I’m with you. I can shoot a Glock just fine (I’ve owned five but sold all of them) but to be honest they feel like mush in my hands. But my TRP, Sig P227 (45 acp), and my Sig RCS 1911 (45 acp) are more crisp, clean and “knowable” than any Glock, for me, ymmv.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
That’s a strategic question. While some may say “I want one of those 1911s made out of meteorites that cost $10k”, what happens when you have to use it, the cops take it, and some evidence room attendant kicks it across the floor.
That said, I’d like a Wilson Combat EDCX9. Although $3k is a big risk for a carry gun, I’ve salivated over these for long enough, if money were no object.
With Money not an object, Just buy another!
After thinking about this for awhile, Not only would I want full coverage engraving, But I would want a gun made as light as possible! Scantium, Titanium, etc... Lightest weight J frame possible! And a lightest weight possible 1911! DR

·
Registered
20,539 Posts
I’m with you. I can shoot a Glock just fine (I’ve owned five but sold all of them) but to be honest they feel like mush in my hands. But my TRP, Sig P227 (45 acp), and my Sig RCS 1911 (45 acp) are more crisp, clean and “knowable” than any Glock, for me, ymmv.
A 1911 shoots way better than a Glock , or anything else for me if I am target shooting and trying to make nice little groups on paper.

But not when doing drills or practicing self defense style shooting.

·
Registered
552 Posts
My current EDC gun, a Shadow Systems MR918 is as good as it gets - as far as I am concerned, at this moment in time. I also have a spare one in the safe. Today my wife and I hit the range and afterwards stopped by one of our LGS.

They had some Shadow Systems MR920s in stock - several with LEO prices, got me thinking of picking up another one again. Who knows, maybe I'll head back over in a day or two...

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Well, since it's unlimited cash, then I would buy an eyesight upgrade... Mine are 60 years old and working less every day. I would also buy a steady hand upgrade as well... The two I have now seem to be loosing their steadiness....

I guess I might look into the spinal refurbishment as well as mine has lost some of it's elasticity...
Amen!😄

Reactions: Mike in Texas

·
Premium Member
6,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
My current EDC gun, a Shadow Systems MR918 is as good as it gets - as far as I am concerned, at this moment in time. I also have a spare one in the safe. Today my wife and I hit the range and afterwards stopped by one of our LGS.

They had some Shadow Systems MR920s in stock - several with LEO prices, got me thinking of picking up another one again. Who knows, maybe I'll head back over in a day or two...
Never heard of this gun. Can you post a pic of yours?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Money is no object, eh? CC only, eh?

Sig Sauer P229 Nightmare Compact (SKU: E29R-9-NMR-CW-500)

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
An M-60A1 and a trench coat!

Seriously, however, I have what I need for carry, for the most part. I'd probably just fill out the niches I don't have a weapon for, like a revolver in 454 or 44 mag. A little 380, like a ppk (add a really nice suit and a shoulder holster, and when I get dementia I can claim I'm James Bond!) A pocket carry piece of one sort or another, for britches that have pockets too small for my 45. All wants, no where near needs. Only need I have is some good training on grip and stance, since competitors around here are trying to teach me to stand different from what I naturally fall into, which is the isosceles stance, and I'm confused as to why I would want to stand squared off against a BG. I'm not going to a gun fight in the old west as in one of Eastwood's spaghetti flicks.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Likely not in terms of capability for that matter the Glock will likely have more rounds on board and as such some would argue it’s more capable. I’ve carried one for years and still do for work. Though personal preference and peace of mind/comfort come in to play for us all. It’s not any different in my opinion then a watch, hard to argue a Rolex keeps time better then a G-Shock, yet thousands of people wear them everyday because of preference. I personally don’t carry anything with sentimental value as that’s a value that’s not replaceable in my opinion. As for a 10k 1911 I doubt it’ll do anything a $1500 model doesn’t as such it wouldn’t be my preference more ammo and training would be.

With all the above said in the grand scheme of things the gun will be the least expensive part of the whole equation in a shooting where your likely to loose the gun. I bet 10k is a drop in the bucket of the potential thousands of hours of legal fees incurred in a defensive shooting case.

·
Premium Member
6,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
An M-60A1 and a trench coat!

Seriously, however, I have what I need for carry, for the most part. I'd probably just fill out the niches I don't have a weapon for, like a revolver in 454 or 44 mag. A little 380, like a ppk (add a really nice suit and a shoulder holster, and when I get dementia I can claim I'm James Bond!) A pocket carry piece of one sort or another, for britches that have pockets too small for my 45. All wants, no where near needs. Only need I have is some good training on grip and stance, since competitors around here are trying to teach me to stand different from what I naturally fall into, which is the isosceles stance, and I'm confused as to why I would want to stand squared off against a BG. I'm not going to a gun fight in the old west as in one of Eastwood's spaghetti flicks.
Best advice is to pick a quality school and sign up. I’ve now been to the Sig Sauer Academy five times. All for advanced instructor level courses. I did so, even when I was a still working educator in Miami, FL so I can attest that for those with limited finances it’s the (forgive me) “best bang for the buck!”

·
Registered
202 Posts
The same P365 I already carry. The gun would not change, but the number of rounds I dump at the range would increase.
Same here. As it is, I've taken a .22 to the range and generally fire around 4:1 .22 to 9, and that's mostly a financial decision.

·
Super Moderator
18,883 Posts
Works for me!

Reactions: demanic

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Its not that Id buy any particularly expensive gun, but I would buy MORE guns. If I were able to get a free pistol right now for carry, Id go with either a G43 or a Sig P365.

61 - 80 of 101 Posts