Defensive Carry banner

81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
For a duty gun, money really is no object already. I carry exactly what I would anyway: Sig P320 9mm Full-size, backed by a Sig P320 9mm Subcompact and a S&W 442 .38.

Reactions: Haywood

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I would really like to find the S&W Model 581 that I let get away from me, in 1984 or 1985, when I foolishly decided to “upgrade” to bigger-bore N-Frames. (I did not yet understand that N-Frames were too big for me; I have long hands, but relatively short fingers.) The search could get expensive. An alternative would be to search for, and find, the best-preserved Model 581, assuming it was well-fitted and well-finished in the first place, as mine was. This search, too, could get expensive. I do not like buying firearms, especially revolvers, sight unseen, so this search could involve some traveling. Fuel, and wear and tear on the truck, are expensive.

No handgun works better, in my hands, than a Ruger GP100, with the original-pattern factory grip, or a Ruger Speed/Security/Service Six, or S&W K-/L-Frame, with good aftermarket or custom grips. I can usually manage to dress around guns of this size.

I am aware of such premium revolvers as Manurhin and Korth, but until I have handled such weapons, I cannot know if they fit me. For this exercise, I will stick with what I know.

·
Super Moderator
19,936 Posts
If you could afford ANYTHING bar none, what’s your ULTIMATE concealed carry handgun?

Must not require NFA tax stamp.
Probably something very conventional from Wilson, Nighthawk Custom, or Jason Burton.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
My wife probably thinks I spent like money was no object acquiring what I've got. ;)
In theory, ultimate would have to be able to carried everywhere, Glock 23 alternatively 19.
However ultimate merits carry effort, Glock 35 (or 35 with 357 Sig barrel).
Been carrying the 35 as much as the 23 lately, in the heat, in summer clothes, in a "good" area.
I'm going to update that.
I've had this Glock 32 for years; it has always been accurate.
Until a few months ago, it had a set of low profile Meprolights; those were getting hard for me too see and I replaced them with a set of Trijicon HDs. Disappointingly, those HDs POI was lower.
I decided to swap those with a set of HD's I had on a Glock 23 that had a POI a bit high.
The swap resulted in both pistols having POI matching my POA, success.
Target is my first 12 rounds fired offhand at about 7 yards or so after the swap.
I use to have NY triggers in most of my Glocks; the 32 is the only one that still has a NY trigger because I would carry it in a Smartcarry when jogging. I think I'll just leave that as is.

I like this pistol, I like the accuracy, inherent feed reliability of bottleneck round, and power:
Glock 32: Speer Gold Dot 125 gr. @ 1,344 fps / 501# KE
Glock 32: Federal HST 125 gr. @ 1,358 fps / 512# KE

Is that Glock 32 a ultimate money is no object concealed carry gun?
Concealable? Yes, definitely.
Suitable for wherever? (No "upping" needed for perceived greater threat);) Yup.
Money is no object? 357 Sig ammo aint cheap. 🤑 :LOL:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just don’t think there is a great, wonderful edc made that is out of range financially for almost anybody. I see broke kids working at McDonald’s running around with $1200.00 I phones. Probably a better “if cost wasn’t an issue “ what defensive semiauto shotgun or rifle would you get. Now there are some unobtanium (for me anyway) choices for those for sure!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I think that I would go with my current preferred carry pistol, my Browning 1911-380 Compact. Several years ago I was given $2,500 and told to go buy a gun. This is what I decided on. Are there things that I would like to see a little different, of course. That said, I am happy with its overall features, however, the grips are aftermarket.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Reactions: simonp67

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I can have anything I want in a CCW GUN. I carry J-Frames because they are my favorite.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think that I would go with my current preferred carry pistol, my Browning 1911-380 Compact. Several years ago I was given $2,500 and told to go buy a gun. This is what I decided on. Are there things that I would like to see a little different, of course. That said, I am happy with its overall features, however, the grips are aftermarket.

I want one not for carry but as a fun gun, like my Browning BDA.

but .380 acp needs to get down to about $10.00 a box for me to have fun.

As for ultimate carry gun, my M&P9SC is the current ultimate carry gun.

More or less money doesn’t factor into my choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
555 Posts
Big boys and their toys!
I would make a decision on what gun I might be without if
I lost it to someone in Law Enforcement until an investigation
was closed end my gun returned to me.
But since that is my opinion, I will own it fully.
As for the gun of dreams, I would like the S&W model 29. It would
stable beside the other S&W and Ruger SP and GP series is 38/357.
Bug would have to be a model prefaced with "J" or really small Ruger.
As you can see, My stable has no plastic and at least half no Hillary
hole or transfer bars.
At the present time, I can afford anything legal offered in my state.
Have a great weekend from damp and slightly cool Lebanon, Oregon
Tom TKH

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you could afford ANYTHING bar none, what’s your ULTIMATE concealed carry handgun?

Must not require NFA tax stamp.
S&W .408 Tactical revolver with the xenon projector.
(name the literary reference...)

Actually that just made me think of the .41mag, which I've never fired but heard things about (not good).

To the spirit of your question, ie. what would you carry that you might not due to cost, I'd have to say:

-HK P7 series (I have two PSPs, bought when affordable). The PSP and the P7M8 are phenomenal, practical, reliable, accurate, guns that carry very well. The PSP is utterly snagless to boot. The M13 and the .40SW M10 are bulkier and I've heard mixed reviews.
I had my preferred P7 nitrocarburized and put XS sights on it. New Wolff springs, then many many rounds through in training. That costs, too.
-HK45 or the compact version. Perfect blend of solid reliability and combat accuracy, so I would choose over any 1911 (which might otherwise me much nicer feeling or more accurate at the expense of reliability).

Not the most expensive, but let's just say I don't have 2 for every family member with 3+ extra mags each ;)
Real-world example, one of my close friends would own the P7 except for cost.

Maybe also a P30 manual safety, or one of the 357SIG variants of one of the older guns.

Also have a 3" performance center SW629 ported that is a joy to shoot. Can't remember carrying it much, but that or a Scandium PD version might be another expensive carry indulgence in the right circumstance.

Cheers,
DK

·
Premium Member
6,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
S&W .408 Tactical revolver with the xenon projector.
(name the literary reference...)

Actually that just made me think of the .41mag, which I've never fired but heard things about (not good).

To the spirit of your question, ie. what would you carry that you might not due to cost, I'd have to say:

-HK P7 series (I have two PSPs, bought when affordable). The PSP and the P7M8 are phenomenal, practical, reliable, accurate, guns that carry very well. The PSP is utterly snagless to boot. The M13 and the .40SW M10 are bulkier and I've heard mixed reviews.
I had my preferred P7 nitrocarburized and put XS sights on it. New Wolff springs, then many many rounds through in training. That costs, too.
-HK45 or the compact version. Perfect blend of solid reliability and combat accuracy, so I would choose over any 1911 (which might otherwise me much nicer feeling or more accurate at the expense of reliability).

Not the most expensive, but let's just say I don't have 2 for every family member with 3+ extra mags each ;)
Real-world example, one of my close friends would own the P7 except for cost.

Maybe also a P30 manual safety, or one of the 357SIG variants of one of the older guns.

Also have a 3" performance center SW629 ported that is a joy to shoot. Can't remember carrying it much, but that or a Scandium PD version might be another expensive carry indulgence in the right circumstance.

Cheers,
DK
I kind of prefer a phased plasma rifle in the forty watt range…

Never fired a 41? IIRC that was the child of Elmer Keith. He was quite fond of it and there were troopers out in the western states that often carried them in the late 1970’s and early 80’s. But if you can’t find one to fire today, just grab a 10mm of any flavor (revolver or semiautomatic) and crank some really hot loads from Buffalo Bore downrange. I did so with my Springfield Armory 10mm TRP 1911 when I first acquired it. Those loads were averaging around 750 foot pounds of muzzle energy. The recoil was “stout,” but not really objectionable for an experienced shooter. I’d call it close to a .45ACP+P.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Best advice is to pick a quality school and sign up. I’ve now been to the Sig Sauer Academy five times. All for advanced instructor level courses. I did so, even when I was a still working educator in Miami, FL so I can attest that for those with limited finances it’s the (forgive me) “best bang for the buck!”
Definitely an option. However, with the scarcity of reasonably priced ammo, this is something I have to tackle on my own for now. I can't afford both ammo and a class right now.

81 - 100 of 101 Posts