Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
A lot will depend on the circumstances of the initial contact. Supposedly the woman was assaulting him and he pepper-sprayed her. An appropriate response. But who initiated contact, the man or the woman? Could be a lot like the Florida handicapped space Nazi.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Here's how the media (not Breitbart) is looking at it -- "The Monday night episode — which erupted after a crowd tried to tear down a monument to Spanish conquistador Juan de Oñate — appeared to reflect a phenomenon that federal and state officials have long warned about: Protests over racial injustice, such as the ones currently roiling American cities, can draw a medley of fringe actors or groups with their own ideological agendas." ~~ Washington Post
I am not agreeing with the statement -- just pointing it out. This is how it is being viewed by many....

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
There are videos that provide more context. In short, it appears the guy was being a jackwagon and tossed a lady to the ground, and the crowd turned on him.

I'm not saying what the guy did was unlawful; but he was definitely signed up for the Three Stupids club.
Yep. This is the best video I've found of what started the event is this one:

A person was blocking the shooter and pushing him by backing into him. A pretty benign move. He apparently became upset and grabbed the person by the arm and threw them to the ground. Based on other videos, he was surrounded and struck at least once with a skateboard. He then proceeded to leave. He was pursued and attacked again by 3 people (and more were closing in) at least one of which had hit him with a skateboard again. I'm no lawyer, but If he had initiated a physical confrontation and had immediately shot someone, I think he would lose a good deal of any self defense claim. But, the fact that he had extricated himself from the situation and was pursued and attacked again will likely bode in his favor.

He has every right to be out there just like anyone else. But, he helped to create the incident that occurred. If you are going to carry, it is incumbent upon you to avoid confrontation. Whether you are "right" or "wrong" you can be charged and you need to ensure there is not one iota questionable conduct on your part.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
...He has every right to be out there just like anyone else. But, he helped to create the incident that occurred. If you are going to carry, it is incumbent upon you to avoid confrontation. Whether you are "right" or "wrong" you can be charged and you need to ensure there is not one iota questionable conduct on your part.
There it is in a nutshell imo.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
There is no defense that will work for him. He put himself in that situation when he threw that person to the ground. For what? She backed into him?
It escalates from there. To me he seems like the handicap parking shooter Florida-man. A person that needs confrontation.

I disagree with all those fools too. But you can’t fix stupid, so nothing you say to them will matter, they won’t get it.
So why be there in the first place? Like it or not, we take the rap for every shooting.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
There are videos that provide more context. In short, it appears the guy was being a jackwagon and tossed a lady to the ground, and the crowd turned on him.

I'm not saying what the guy did was unlawful; but he was definitely signed up for the Three Stupids club.
Being a "Jackwagon"?

He was trying to protect the statue and the lady was trying to remove him from his position. She got shoved down which is a proper response when someone lays hands on or pushes another.

The crowd then began attacking the man who retreated.

He was pursued and the crowd started beating him, one guy using a skateboard to hit him in the head multiple times.

I am not sure how many hits with a skateboard one's skull can withstand before brains begin to spill, but I am pretty sure being attacked in such a manner would allow for self-defense with a firearm.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
He should have stayed home. If he went to the protest looking for trouble, he found it. The protesters were certainly looking for trouble and they found it also, although not in the way they probably intended! The shooter had no connection with the armed group present. But look who has mud on their faces, the armed group! Anarchistic protesters have all the media's backing while law abidding citizens trying to protect property are pilloried! Now the police department is being scrutinized for not preventing the shooting of the protester! Where does it all end, in a gift basket for a personal injury attorney?
OK, I get that for this situation. Absolutely. A statue of a conquistador is not worth it. But what if they go after your church? What if they go after your neighborhood and create a CHAZ zone where you live? What if they are beating up innocent people in the street and the cops aren't stepping in? Those scenarios are not that far fetched. They are coming. My point is that there is a line, whatever that line is for you personally, that if it is crossed, you can't stay home. You can't not confront. And there will be trouble and that will just have to happen. And you may get in a situation you have to shoot in that confrontation. You don't want to, but they back you into a corner.

So really, this guy's line was not set right. But that doesn't mean you and I don't have justifiable lines and those lines are going to get crossed sooner or later. Will we stay home or "go to the protest looking for trouble?"

BTW, a black pastor in VA recently had to brandish a gun to dissuade five white right wing protesters who wanted to break into the church and do who knows what. Initially, the pastor was arrested, but the protesters were not. When the sheriff got involved, he reversed that. The pastor was set free, with an apology, and the protesters were found, arrested and charged with hate crimes. That pastor could have stood down instead of "looking for trouble," but he did not.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I watched the video. He fired his sidearm at two Black Bloc members. Before that I heard someone scream he was going to kill the guy.
After the shots were fired I heard an anti cop protester screaming for a license plate number. I presume it was so he could turn it over to the cops he hates and more than likely has protested against.
Never ceases to amaze me. The irony of those anti establishment types calling for police.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Yes, seems these folks are rather schizophrenic.

I believe the outcome of this incident will depend on the initial contact. Did the shooter confront the crowd before he was attacked by the woman, triggering him to deploy the pepper spray? If so, he may well face the same problem the Florida Handicapped Space Nazi did when he defended himself against an imminent and dangerous threat.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
This man was shoulder/ body pushing his way through the crowd. A woman was moving laterally to intentionally obstruct him. He moved sideways to get around her, but kept pushing with his body. She finally pushed back and he shoved her to the ground with his hand and arm.

That's when the crowd turned on him. He was hit with a skateboard and was retreating. Several people piled on him. He drew his gun and continued to retreat. That is where the Twitter video picks up.

Retreating under assault, then drawing but not firing, continuing to retreat with breaks in the assault, then new assault contacts initiated by the mob. That is a tough legal argument for the prosecutor.

I predict a political prosecution, not a legal/law based one.

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
Laws vary, but the woman who was blocking him was not hurting him in any way. He then violently threw her to the ground. This was the proximate cause of the whole altercation.

Basically, he was the first to initiate violence. That would invalidate any claim of self defense in many jurisdictions.

You go to a bar. Someone insults your momma. You punch them. They chase you, you retreat outside. They pursue and pull a knife. You pull a gun and shoot. Self defense? Not hardly. You started the violence.

This guy is in a bad way. Not to mention...throwing a woman onto the ground? Really? What a tool.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
In this video, you can clearly see the man attempt to leave after the initial incident. After he has walked off, a couple guys chase him down and start to attack him again and that is when he shoots the one who was hitting him with a skateboard.

Based on this, even if he initiated the first incident, he clearly disengaged and tried to leave the situation ending that incident. He did not use his gun until after he was chased down and attacked with weapons creating a second incident.

·
Registered
6,254 Posts
Hope has never been the same since I've learned about Yellowstone. It's only a matter of time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Laws vary, but the woman who was blocking him was not hurting him in any way. He then violently threw her to the ground. This was the proximate cause of the whole altercation.

Basically, he was the first to initiate violence. That would invalidate any claim of self defense in many jurisdictions.

You go to a bar. Someone insults your momma. You punch them. They chase you, you retreat outside. They pursue and pull a knife. You pull a gun and shoot. Self defense? Not hardly. You started the violence.

This guy is in a bad way. Not to mention...throwing a woman onto the ground? Really? What a tool.
You have no idea what your talking about. Everything you said is wrong. See post 37.

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
You have no idea what your talking about. Everything you said is wrong. See post 37.
Laws vary, but if he started the violence, both sides could be in the wrong, legally. Mutual combat. He was wrong to throw the woman down, and they were wrong to assault him once he was no longer a threat to her.

I guess we will see what the legal system finds, won’t we.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts