Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The prices will come down.

A few weeks ago, my threshold was 40 cents/rd for 9mm. I've been able to find enough to last me a while, so I've lowered my buying threshold to less than 26 cents/rd. If people stop paying the premium prices, especially at gun shows and on armslist, I think ammo will become more plentiful and at more reasonable prices.

I think there are lots of people waiting in line every morning at gun shops that are turning the stuff around for a profit via gun shows/armslist.

Don't feed the inflated prices. Perhaps we can burst the bubble.

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
...and if you send a letter to President Obama telling him the facts about an assault rifle ban, he will see the light and drop the subject.....

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
If we all refuse to pay the high prices... The prices will come down.
Yes, it will.

The operative word being: if all refuse to pay the prices.

Translation: it'll never happen, in practice, at least nowhere near the current prices. Fact is, though, with any commodity, there is certainly an upper limit where folks simply won't buy. No telling where any given person's tipping point is, or let alone where it is that the last buyer would refuse.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I will say locally on the boards I am seeing a reduction of mass idiots selling all the Walmart ammo them or their buddy's have been camping out to snag before us working people can get up .....just like prohibition it drove things underground and the prices skyrocketed ! Only this time we did this to ourselves with GREED and panic . People here quit their jobs and went into the ammo business :( it won't last , nothing does.

Last week I needed to go to the range and went thru 200 rounds in about 45 minutes .

·
Registered
408 Posts
A sad Picture ...

I took this prior to Sandy Hook at my local Walmart where I would just stare and every now and then buy a Damn box of what ever I wanted ! :aargh4:

Ammodelivery_zpsc69bba42.jpg

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Reactions: Ksgunner

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
You are absolutely right. The people getting much of the ammo right now are the guys who mark it up and sell it at gun shows. If we don't buy the $100 bulk pack of .22lr, they will quit buying it from the stores, then WE can buy it.

Reactions: oppi27

·
Registered
959 Posts
I got 1 box of 9mm for at fair market value at walmart today. I can now try out my 9mm conversion barrel for my g23.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have only purchased 2 box's of ammo this year and only because I found 2 box's of 380 jhp on sale for $36.00 for a box of 100 rounds. However this has made me cut back on my trips to the Range for some fun.

:smile:

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Supply and Demand + Capitalism = Current ammo condition

It's a high percentage of people scarfing up the ammo that initially started the high demand, which in turn created the supply problem that lead to the price problem. People are going to pay whatever they think the item is worth and as long as a high percentage of the population believes that these high prices are reasonable, the situation will continue.

The one thing that I fear is that if ammo becomes today's gasoline, where people continue to pay ridiculous prices for so long, the cost becomes the new norm. If you would have told people 30 years ago that they were going to be paying close to $5/gal. for gasoline and diesel, you'd have been laughed at. I know there are differences but you get the point.

I will continue to browse the shelves, but until it becomes what I think it's worth, I'll just keep moseying on just like I do with any other purchase I make.

Reactions: malexander

·
Registered
319 Posts
Prices go up, prices go down. Just like the stock market, gold market........ too bad so many idjits keep buying when the price is high. Gives a false sense of worth. But, the market does adjust based on averages. Although my training round count is down, I'm still training and just because it doesn't go 'BOOM' doesn't make me less lethal when it counts.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
As you say,"Supply and Demand", things would be much better I believe if HLS wasn't buying so much ammo to stock pile and we didn't have the current President and the morons in the senate. I read an article on the internet that said that Federal Ammo was thinking about not resigning the government contract because of the reduced profits required and lack of product to sell to "John Q public" where they can make better margins. If something like that would happen from any of the major manufactures they could almost control the private sector. I would think that the civilian gun owners and shooters of the country would buy and shoot more than the government in a year.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
The last 4 months.... each month set a RECORD HIGH for CC applications in the AG's office. Now , I know where some of the ammo is going around here.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Just like anything else. It doesn't mater what it did cost before or what it costs now because of circumstance~occasion`s.

If someone has the monies, and they want it; they will buy it. Just ask any art or memorabilia seller`s. Everything in this world is priced at what`ever any products buyer`s are willing to pay for it.

Or too what`ever price you can barter it fore.

This sometimes has little too nothing to do; with need. Think about this. Just how much ammo did you routinely have on hand, use, and buy before the scare?

Now add the "fear of scarce`factor" into that equation and; more people will find the monies to buy just too make sure to have it. Just like over the past few months.

But the average person`s whom are buying too personally just to buy and/or stockpile, can only justify having so much or even just enough ammo too satisfy their personal urge to stockpile; before they too will stop buying.

Then there are those who started buying, and now they have become bitten by the hoarder`bug; and just lamentably can't justify too stop buying more & more & more ammo. Just like the hoarder's portrayed on TV shows.

Now the one`s whom are buying to resell it @ say as much as 7x the price of which they had bought it for, will continue to do so as long as people keep buy it from them at their asking price. Like collectors of art, memorabilia, and such will tell you. Stuff is only worth what people are willing to pay for what it is you're selling.

Heck given the profits some of these greaser`s are making. Even as prices are starting to decline somewhat and will in the coming days. These scalpers will always be able to get their investments back. Because, they will always be able to get more then what they paid, because even if they bought it say @ $.38 a-round. They will always be-able to find someone whom will be willing to pay $.40 a-round. So they will always at least get their out-lay back; if not a`little more. But then as in any business there's hidden nut-costs involved. Which are too long in`list to post here.

So as for me I have been-able to sanctify my personal ammo~psyche with what I've run across at the like`s of WW. Cuz I for one ain`t paying the ridiculous prices some of these seller`s are asking.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Grand idea...... One problem....... Hoarders have to dollar limit..........

1 - 20 of 40 Posts