Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
43,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Be advised, it most likely does not exist. As one who has purchased many, built quite a few and as recently as yesterday modified yet another "custom kydex" holster, I have never, repeat never had one work perfectly out of the box. It simply doesn't happen. They invariably need tweaked.

Each individual has unique physical characteristics and ergonomic needs when it comes to fit, concealability and comfort. It's pretty much impossible for a holster maker to nail it perfectly for everyone, maybe even anyone. Edges will need to be smoothed, corners rounded, masking features heated and adjusted, attachment points modified for height, ride and drop angle, etc. Ride height variances by as little as one-eighth of an inch can spell the difference between comfort and sheer agony. Five degrees variance in drop angle can separate printing from concealed. The list goes on.

When you get a new holster, it's a safe bet that you will need to do some adjustments to make it perfectly fit your needs.

Just my opinion, based on my experience, but I have a fair amount of experience.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Multiple holsters, each one supposedly better than the last in some way.
One that I recently found was on impulse. My LGS decided to stop ordering and selling holsters. Too much hassle for too little return. They dumped all of what they had into a box and priced them for $8.00/ea. So, of course, I had to look and I found a CC T-shirt in my size. Padded, re-enforced pockets under each arm that has small Velcro patched for closing. Another one just has stretch elastic that allows the gun to slide in, muzzle down. Both shirts, I got 2 different makes, are part spandex, form fitting and, hold the gun close to the body. Not a quick draw holster by any means but, for deep concealment, you can’t beat them. Guns tried? Bodyguard .380, J-frame .357, 1911 Officer’s Model .45 acp and, S&W M19 .357 with 2 1/2” barrel. All were held securely with the weight evenly spread out and negligible. Shirts are a little too warm for Summer but, should be perfect for Fall and Winter.

Not something I would have normally ordered. I was very, very surprised with the functionality.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I've been lucky. I'm happy with one of the first IWB Holsters I tried. The DeSantis Slim-Ruk. I've got them for Glock 19, 1911 Gov't, J Frame and the one I carry the most the M&P 45 2.0. All have fit and functioned as I expected without tinkering. Probably not the best if one expected to get into a scuffle or some other high profile activities. But they've fit the firearms, are easy on/off and still are secure, they draw well and retain well. I've even used them in IDPA Competition.
I truly wilsh they'd make one for N Frame S&W Revolvers, my current N Frame EDC uses an out of production COmpt-Tac, it works well but the 2 clip retention is a bit of a hassle.

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
I finally ordered a Tenicor Velo4 for my P365 today. I am going to give AIWB one more serious try. If this one doesn't work, guess I'll give up and keep carrying at 4 o'clock. I'm not a big tinkerer -- if it doesn't work with the factory options for adjustment, back for a refund it goes.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Too true @Mike1956 Always finding something to change. Mostly remove material and smooth edges. I have an idea for adding a neoprene or thin leather for skin contact, just to try with a cheap holster.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I finally ordered a Tenicor Velo4 for my P365 today. I am going to give AIWB one more serious try. If this one doesn't work, guess I'll give up and keep carrying at 4 o'clock. I'm not a big tinkerer -- if it doesn't work with the factory options for adjustment, back for a refund it goes.
I too bit the bullet and got the Tenicor Velo4 for my G26. I am using the OEM 12 round mag. Been carrying it AIWB at 1 o’clock and this baby is comfy! The longest duration I have worn it for is 8 hours. That included a couple hours of sitting down driving, having dinner, walking around a big department store and coming home taking out the trash.

You will receive it without the hardware attached so that you can custom mount and set this up to your own liking. I have only installed 1of the included belt clips since It’s been holding up nicely.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
10,322 Posts
I just drove 3 1/2 hrs. to a 4 count draw class, ran drills for 5 1/2 hrs on the range, had dinner at a swanky biestro in NOVA, then drove 3 1/2 hrs home wearing a Velo 4 and G17. Long day, I like the design, but they could sand their edges better.

When I was bending AIWB rigs I hand finished them until they were like a 3 week only bar of soap, no one does that today; there isn’t enough money in it to make it worthwhile.

·
Premium Member
43,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just drove 3 1/2 hrs. to a 4 count draw class, ran drills for 5 1/2 hrs on the range, had dinner at a swanky biestro in NOVA, then drove 3 1/2 hrs home wearing a Velo 4 and G17. Long day, I like the design, but they could sand their edges better.

When I was bending AIWB rigs I hand finished them until they were like a 3 week only bar of soap, no one does that today; there isn’t enough money in it to make it worthwhile.
With the 4" Shield .45 and Shield Plus, one of which I almost always carry, I've had a tough time finding makers who make a holster. I've wound up going with this Dara model for both of them: IWB Holster. It works fine for my AIWB/centerline needs well enough after I remove some sharp edges, smooth out some overly-masked surfaces, move the attachment points, and add a foam wedge. I like the Dara design well enough. I also like JM Kydex holsters, but they don't make models for my guns.

You're right, of course about the edges we used to polish to mirror finish.

Did you have any significant takeaways from your four-count draw-stroke class? That is where I've been spending much of my training/practice efforts lately.

Reactions: matthew03

·
Premium Member
43,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do a research and listen to the pros , threw away all Kydex .. 😆
Got my best 3 leather holsters from WLW and Winthrop
The pros I listen to do use kydex. Even if they didn't, kydex is what works best for me.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
I carry AOWB or AIWB daily with a Kydex holster. I too have a tote full of holsters that don’t work for me. I quit buying cheap and got a decent one from Tony at JMCK. It’s personal, you just have to find where on your body you can place it and have it work for you. PHLSTER has some great videos on the subject and well worth someone’s time to watch. I did, and I learned something even after carrying for almost 20 years.

I do love leather holsters for non striker fired pistols. But I hardly carry them anymore.

Lefty

·
Registered
6,906 Posts
Besides body type and size another variable that comes into play with holsters is the climate you live in! I live in the saltwater coastal humid Gulf Coast environment. Leather holsters do not do well in this environment and tend to cause corrosion on parts of most any handgun! Kydex and polymer are the way to go here! Even nylon tends to absorb humid salty moisture here. Just my .02 worth!

*I do like quality leather holsters, but they just don't work well in my environment!

·
Premium Member
13,516 Posts
OP is true. The perfect holster does not exist.
I have over the years got rid of Kydex also, just leather.
After you get over the impulse to keep trying new holsters and stick to what you have and keep tweaking it until it is good.

·
Registered
10,322 Posts
With the 4" Shield .45 and Shield Plus, one of which I almost always carry, I've had a tough time finding makers who make a holster. I've wound up going with this Dara model for both of them: IWB Holster. It works fine for my AIWB/centerline needs well enough after I remove some sharp edges, smooth out some overly-masked surfaces, move the attachment points, and add a foam wedge. I like the Dara design well enough. I also like JM Kydex holsters, but they don't make models for my guns.

You're right, of course about the edges we used to polish to mirror finish.

Did you have any significant takeaways from your four-count draw-stroke class? That is where I've been spending much of my training/practice efforts lately.
I’ll write up an aar once I get some time.
One constant trait of a JDC course is to keep accuracy standards extremely tight, so even though it was about increasing speed of presentation by efficiency of movement, no one was getting 1 second draw to shot, due to the targets being 1” squares at 3 yds, 3” bulls at 7, and B8 8 ring blacks at 10 or further.

My gun was presented several times in under a second, but I can’t do that 100% of the time and get a shot off, never when I’m not shooting center mass, but held to tight standards. I’m more comfortable ~ 1.3-1.5 on the regular. I also draw from a fighting stance, not with my hands by the gun. So that’s easily .25 extra time.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
I just picked up a Remora IWB holster for my G27 and am pleased with it so far. I will probably encounter situations where the Remora doesn't work well but until then, I like it.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
My research has told me for the past 12 years of carrying NOT to follow what works for other people but to do what works for me. I have quite a few leather holsters and they are not the end-all-that-be-all in the holster world as far as I'm concerned. In my humble opinion, all of this "absolute" mindset and foolishness in the gun community needs to be deleted. We are not monolithic! We're different! :cool:

·
Registered
386 Posts
The only IWB holster that I've ever purchased and not modified are my Desantis Soft Tuk holsters for my S&W Shield 9mm M2.0 and my S&W 360 AirWeight. I picked up a Tagua convertible for my Tisas .45 and replaced the spring belt clips with C clips from Desantis (my favorite style of belt clip). I recently picked up a holster from Hanks Holster and loved the way that the pistol fit but the holster didn't quite hang right so... I removed the leather belt loops and put Desantis C clips on it and it is by far the most comfortable IWB I have.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts