Defensive Carry banner

121 - 140 of 140 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,555 Posts
Hi McGyver125;

I love rifles! Way more than I do handguns! Some neato rifles live here. Scoped sporters, useful lever-actions, a center fire pump and a vintage automatic, as well as the M1, M1Carbine, M1A, and AR 15 among other earlier U. S. bolt-action military rifles.

If push came to shove, I believe I'd choose the M1. It would be easier to make the argument for the M1A. The AR 15? I have a hard time taking it seriously, even though it is so immensely popular at present. I don't admire the .223, feeling it's a bit puny. Sure it is deadly from here to yon, but it's also not even the most powerful .22 varmint cartridge available. There's something to be said for the 7.62X39, but I don't have wide experience using it. It's just that I've got more experience with the M1, have shot it more than any other center fire rifle, and I admire the .30-06 cartridge as just a little bit more than the .308. I like full powered .30 caliber rifles.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
No more ammo or spare parts? Get an AR15. Parts and ammo are everywhere.
Ah yes, but for argument sake...there's nothing left to buy. I have what I have on me, and can't get anything else ever, because if it doesn't perform the way i need it to in that second, I'll be dead. So what performs the best?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Hi McGyver125;

I love rifles! Way more than I do handguns! Some neato rifles live here. Scoped sporters, useful lever-actions, a center fire pump and a vintage automatic, as well as the M1, M1Carbine, M1A, and AR 15 among other earlier U. S. bolt-action military rifles.

If push came to shove, I believe I'd choose the M1. It would be easier to make the argument for the M1A. The AR 15? I have a hard time taking it seriously, even though it is so immensely popular at present. I don't admire the .223, feeling it's a bit puny. Sure it is deadly from here to yon, but it's also not even the most powerful .22 varmint cartridge available. There's something to be said for the 7.62X39, but I don't have wide experience using it. It's just that I've got more experience with the M1, have shot it more than any other center fire rifle, and I admire the .30-06 cartridge as just a little bit more than the .308. I like full powered .30 caliber rifles.
Hi!

I also have some concerns about the AR15. It just seems like something that would fail right when i need it. All of the other guns I've looked at have reputations for reliability...Tavor, Galil, Scar, M1A, Mini 14...but all of my friends tell me their AR15s jam all the time. I have gotten a lot of suggestions to get one because of ample parts availability, but that kinda makes me even more wary about it. If this rifle ever gets used, it will be too late to buy spare parts. I want something that I know will work when i need it to.

The M1A is on my consideration list. Reliable round. I initially had it lower on my list because of the length, but maybe that won't be a big deal. It would definitely give me greater range.

Which 7.62x39 rifles have you used? Which would you recommend?

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Ah yes, but for argument sake...there's nothing left to buy. I have what I have on me, and can't get anything else ever, because if it doesn't perform the way i need it to in that second, I'll be dead. So what performs the best?
Well then an AK47 from what I hear is reliable but I have no personal knowledge. But if you’re in a fire fight and run out of ammo you’re dead anyway cause all your buddies have ARs and their ammo won’t work in your gun. Same with an AR10 or M1A, how many will have .308?

Think back to your days in the service. How would it work out in battle if your squad was carrying 3 different platforms in 3 different calibers? Not going to work too well will it?

Reactions: Hoganbeg

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Well then an AK47 from what I hear is reliable but I have no personal knowledge. But if you’re in a fire fight and run out of ammo you’re dead anyway cause all your buddies have ARs and their ammo won’t work in your gun. Same with an AR10 or M1A, how many will have .308?

Think back to your days in the service. How would it work out in battle if your squad was carrying 3 different platforms in 3 different calibers? Not going to work too well will it?
I can, and am, taking all that into consideration. But this post is to ask one question...all other factors aside, which rifle performs better?

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
I can, and am, taking all that into consideration. But this post is to ask one question...all other factors aside, which rifle performs better?
They all perform, they all break. Pick one, treat it right and it will treat you right.

·
Super Moderator
23,987 Posts
There’s a reason AK’s over populate the world, civilized or not.

A 30 caliber;
Reliable;
Simple;
Accurate to MOM;
Manual of Arms is simple; and
Available

Downside?

7.62 x 39 is less common than 223 or 5.56

I would be pleased with either a M4 or AK, but a M1 is a sweet choice, in carbine or tanker.

·
Registered
9,735 Posts
I am considering an M1A along with several different .223/.556 rifles, but whichever rifle I get will only ever see use if I'm in a militia, so I doubt I'll be carrying 2 rifles at the same time.

You're the first to talk about the Galil. I believe they run about $1800, and they're Israeli made, so I assume they're good. You mentioned reliability already. I What else does it do better than some of these other rifles? How do they compare to a Tavor?

So there is a number of USA made Galils now way cheeper .. The Golian was a parts kit Galil centuray made some had issues .. Look for a F stamp on the receiver that means recall work was done on the firing pin etc .. ATI makes one also not sure on reliability.

The org are built like tanks .. Think AK in terms of simplicity and ease of use ... Cause that is what the Israel did took AK they captured mash them with other guns and bam Galil ... To me the big points are

1. Mags yes you can get AR mag wells for them .. But factory mags are 35 rounds built like tanks and work very well and are cheep ..Also the 50 rounders for them work well . IDF made a combo mag pouch that holds a 50 and a 35 rounder for them
2. Ease of use ..It as easy or easier then a AK to take apart and clean nice big chunky parts ...
3. Steel ammo loves em ... Due to how rough they can be on brass steel ammo works amazing in them .. Which as much as ammo is now ..
4. A good model is like a AK they are hard to kill they run very dirty ... Simply crude action

Now comparted to a Tavor they are different ... The Tavor replaced them in service with the IDF ... Apples and Orgngs imop.. One is a modern raileld STANG bullpup with all the bells and whistly the others is a earlier era gun basic rough hard working no bells no fancy ... I like them both .. End of the world it would be hard to say which I would grab

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Registered
9,735 Posts
Hi!

I also have some concerns about the AR15. It just seems like something that would fail right when i need it. All of the other guns I've looked at have reputations for reliability...Tavor, Galil, Scar, M1A, Mini 14...but all of my friends tell me their AR15s jam all the time. I have gotten a lot of suggestions to get one because of ample parts availability, but that kinda makes me even more wary about it. If this rifle ever gets used, it will be too late to buy spare parts. I want something that I know will work when i need it to.

The M1A is on my consideration list. Reliable round. I initially had it lower on my list because of the length, but maybe that won't be a big deal. It would definitely give me greater range.

Which 7.62x39 rifles have you used? Which would you recommend?

PM if you have questions ..They make AK in 556 you know as well ..Some even take AR mags ... They also make them in 30-06 and 6.5 and a lot of others .

AR are a bit more sentive but as long as you understand how it works and keep it semi clean you are fine ..Big plus is for the most part BCG etc are drop in unlike a AK ..

That said for AK right now in this market .. Get this Arsenal SAM7SF-84E 7.62x39mm Semi-Automatic Rifle with Enhanced Fire Control Group get a bunch of circle 10s 30 and 40 rounders a Romy or China made 75 round drum and some spam cans of either wolf or worst case Tula some 8m3 if you can fine it and you will be good .

If this was different market I would go into all the different model etc but evething is painic priced now so if you are going to spend close to a 1k on a WSAR just get the best while you can .. Milled guns are heavy and over built but they work like the dickens ...

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Registered
9,735 Posts
Oh and PS please for the love of gosh skip a Mini 30 or AR in x39 ..Trust me on that .. Mini 30 is fine but a lot dont run steel case and mags suck for pricying ... As to AR in x39 again mags and dirty ammo in gun system not really geared for that ..

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
With an AR15, you don't have to worry about buying anything, there will be plenty of parts. Use what your enemy uses or the most common rifle being used, caused when someone is down, you take their stuff. I have a $500 AR and will go into battle any day with it.

·
Registered
816 Posts
They're both on my list for consideration. I just don't know how good those are compared to the others. What is better and worse about the Minis compared to the other options? AR, ACR, Tavor, M14, etc?

I don't plan to use this for hunting. The role this rifle will fill is, it's the end of the world, my house is on fire, and I'm joining a militia to save my country from an invasion. No more internet, no more buying ammo or spare parts, nothing. I have what I have until I'm dead or the war is over.

How well does a Mini 30 compare to rifles like the Tavor 7, Scar 16, and AR10?
How the MIni compares against the Tavor and Scar, I couldn't tell you. But against an AR, you're looking at a direct gas impingement system (AR- I know there are some piston-operated AR's but they're the exception) to a piston driven system. The Mini operation is the same as the M1 and M1A - it's a piston operated system, which means its cleaner, which means, all things being equal, it's less likely to jam due to fouling than an AR.

Will that make a difference in a real-world scenario? maybe, maybe not. But with the AR, I'd make sure I have a spare BCG with me at all times.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
I really appreciate everyone's advice. Really. It's been a big help, especially since my girlfriend is going to be getting one too, and has no experience with rifles. I can tell her what I like, but I have no idea what she'd like. All o can do is offer the best suggestions I can accumulate and see if she likes them.

·
Registered
38,097 Posts
I really appreciate everyone's advice. Really. It's been a big help, especially since my girlfriend is going to be getting one too, and has no experience with rifles. I can tell her what I like, but I have no idea what she'd like. All o can do is offer the best suggestions I can accumulate and see if she likes them.
She'd love a .458 Win magnum.

·
Registered
816 Posts
If it helps any, my wife likes my Mini-14 better than my M&P 15, but she likes my son's Ruger AR556 MPR best of all.

121 - 140 of 140 Posts