Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had to choose between 32acp and 380acp for a bug/deep concealment rig, what would you do?

I would think that the obvious answer would be to go with 380, based on the slightly larger diameter, and slightly higher velocities that the 380 seems to travel at.

Would there be ANY reason to go with 32. I have no real world experiende with either, and would like to know what pitfalls if any that either one would have.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
no real world either but i would go 380 if you had to would prefer nothing below 9mm but soemtimes ya cant carry what ya want

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Well, .380 is a 9mm - just 9x17 - so I would certainly favor that over .32. The P3AT for example is not hugely bigger than P32 and so no contest if I was deciding on that score.

Mind you, .the lil .380 is, like it's bigger cousin 9mm Luger, still a high pressure round and so I think the bigger the platform (within reason) you can launch from the better.

I know darned well, that the P3AT would NOT be welcome for my wife or step daughter, whereas the Bersa Thunder is definitely better, tho of course larger and heavier.

Not many cases where I would willingly downsize in cal but - even the humble .32 if well placed is still capable of causing some grief!

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
.380....thanks to the P3AT, Kel Tec put that caliber in the deep carry realm of the .32.

·
Registered
737 Posts
.380. Bigger is better, as long as you can handle the recoil. Recoil isn't really a factor with either of those calibers for any healthy adult.

·
Registered
835 Posts
.380 for sure.

I carry a P3AT 16/7, as a BUG or only, as the occasion warrants.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
.380 of course...

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Slightly larger diameter and slightly higher velocities.........AND.........heavier bullet = quite a bit more power.

This,in a small,light,AND THIN,package that (as per my digetel Lyman trigger pull gauge) weight's >>14.6oz.<< with a mag and 6+1 inserted. Try this with the other bug's out there and let me know what you come up with. Oh yeah,that's my Kel Tec P-3AT. ------

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses.
You guys have confirmed what I was already thinking.

I am looking at a NAA Guardian in 380 as my next firearm purchase and just wanted to do my homework. Now, however I will have to take another look at the Kel Tec p3at. The do seem to be a bit less expensive.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I've never liked the 380 for rapid followup shots.

I'll stick with shot placement in a .32 if I'm doomed to pick between the two calibers, probably from my PP.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Those lil' keltec's kinda scare me due to being plastic. I am personally not privy shooting tupper ware. I have seen some nice Bersa's for the money though.
I personally use a Colt Mustang. My two reasons are (1) its metal and (2) it has a hammer. Just my .02's worth.

·
Administrator
143,595 Posts
The .380 cartridge in the all Stainless Walther PPK/S is a nice BUG package since the Walther has some weight to it.
It's very accurate & reliable also.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Alot of folks seem to lean towards the 380. And Ill put my plug in to for the 380. More power than 32 and the guns arent much bigger than 32s either. The bersa thunder 380 would be my first pick. Id still be carrying that gun if it hadnt been for a money issue. Have a good one everybody and stay safe

Sixgun

·
Registered
419 Posts
GoodSamaritan - (IMHO) It's a very subjective question; as P95Carry has stated in not so many words, "Bigger is likely better..!" The only things to consider are which is more comfortable for you, and which one (Chosen firearm) has the better performance using which caliber; i.e.: K-T debate: Does the P32 function more reliably than the P3AT - Some say yes, some say no. (I generally carry one or the other; caliber wise not brand.., but most often as of late either my Rohrbaugh R9s (9mm), or one of either a .32 or a .380 by various makers.
I say read alot, shoot several different ones in both calibers, and make a choice. If it ends up not meeting your expectations, get another & add to the collection. (I just add anyway.., these were the ones easy to get to/ not in the safe.)

Good Luck, :image035:

·
Administrator
143,595 Posts
Thinking about it ~ The Little .32 Seecamp was an awesome little tiny all Stainless BUG.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Well if its acp to acp i have to say .380 for me , might just have to re think that if you throw .32naa or .32 h&r mag into the mix lol

·
Registered
810 Posts
I'd choose 380 -- but I purchased 32. When I got my Kel-Tec, the 32 had a more "proven" record and the 380 was relatively new. If I bought again, I might go with the 380, but then again, I'd like to try Kel-Tec's new 9mm.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I the only small gun I have is a Keltec P3AT .380 I cant imagine a better gun in it's intended role as backup, pocket carry, hideout gun. Mine has been 100% reliable, accurate, hits precisely where I aim it. is very light weight. I was concerned about recoil but at least for me the snappy kick is in no way way painful and allows me fast multi shot hits at all practicle ranges. I dont need or want anything less powerful.

·
Registered
988 Posts
If you were looking for the utmost concealable and smallest BUG you could find, something in the .32 would probably be your better bet. If you can move up to something a tad bigger, than the .380 would probably be the better choice.

What's more important for your needs? The caliber or the size of the BUG?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts