Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
8,092 Posts
My personal view, which only applies to me, is that weapons and ammo are far from my first priority in such a situation. I would probably already have my EDC gun, pepper spray and knife with me and that would be fine. If I had time, I might gun up, but not until I got more important things. My wife and I have survival backpacks in respective cars. We would grab those, our medicines, some water, some portable food and maybe a change of clothes. We would also get the dogs ready to go.

I don't hold with this idea that survival automatically equals weapons. Weapons are tools. Ammo is supplies. They belong on those priority lists and they are nowhere near the top.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't have a large amount of ammo (money issue) and only have a handful of firearms. My ammo is stashed tightly in 2 ammo cans, and all my firearms (except EDC) are together in my safe. Maybe 30 seconds to grab them and on to something more dire.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
As far as guns and ammo, and evacuating, I have levels of what to grab depending on how much time is available.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
EDC are probably the only guns that would be taken, maybe an AR. Photos are more important, unless they backed up electronically. Mementos that can’t be replaced. And cash!

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
It would take me about a minute to retrieve my guns, two Taurus G2C pistols and the the ammo to go with it. As for all the practical survival gear I have it set up and packed all the time.

Reactions: Old Man

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
For me to get what I believe would be needed would probably only take a few minutes. My wife on the other hand the disaster would be over and everything would be back to normal 😉

·
Registered
727 Posts
Aside from what I'm carrying on me and stashing in my car, guns would be my last priority.

Thinking about it, only fire or an earthquake would get me to evacuate. Weapons in a fireproof safe should be fine either way to come back to. If not, that's what I write Allstate a check for every month.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
10 minutes. Ammo is mostly set up in metal cans that are sealed and labeled. Long guns are in cases. Pistols are able to be placed in pelican cases with locks. Good to go.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Take me about 5 minutes, gotta practice to do it in 2. Our gov, jay Inslee is working on revoking concealed and open carry during emergencies and if successful, confiscation will be next I'm sure.

·
Banned
5,322 Posts
I'm not sure what would compel me to evacuate - any evacuation where I am would be an absolute mess with non-moving freeways and the whole schmeel. My general take because of that and physical location is that shelter in place is generally going to be my best option. Should I actually have to evacuate . . . guess I have a little thinking to do. Aside from edc, it will be difficult.

·
Registered
8,434 Posts
Weapons, maybe 10-15 minutes if my wife and I worked together. And I would limit it to what's most practical. I would only take ammo for my handguns and probably our ARs. Shotgun ammo, hunting ammo, etc. could be obtained elsewhere.

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
The most likely "natural" disaster in my area would be a hurricane. We might seen heavy rain and winds... flooding in outlying areas. Maybe a tornado. Most likely just my EDC.

·
Premium Member
3,973 Posts
The most likely "natural" disaster in my area would be a hurricane. We might seen heavy rain and winds... flooding in outlying areas. Maybe a tornado. Most likely just my EDC.
Yep Scotty, that pretty well sums us up. And with donkeys and whatnot hanging around here, I’m better off just letting an avalanche come down on the place and wipe us out than to load em up and make a run with a horse and donkeys and Lord, who knows what.

In keeping close to the question posed it does make me think that a carbine and handgun in a shared caliber would be of use in the scenario. Two firearms and a 50 cal ammo can....out the door. A rifle in 357 or 40 will never be a match for AR’s or AK’s but nothing was said of insurgency, this is a flight from tsunami scenario (though a tsunami in either Johnston or Granville County would be quite odd) . I’ve got the 357 combo out in the barn and the carbine in 40 here in the house. But the sub 2k takes Glock 40 cal mags and I keep not buying a Glock. I did buy one once. But then I un-bought it. One of these days I need to get me the hang of a Glock, but I digress. (I keep thinking G27 maybe)

1 - 20 of 110 Posts