Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to pick up another 1911 this spring. I want one for my "heavy" carry round. I've settled on a 1911 becasue I just love that format. After a lot of looking and way too little shooting, I've narrowed it down to two guns and would like some opinions on which one you'd pick over the other and why.

The first is Springfields Micro-Compact 3" barrel, Bi-Tone loaded. i like the looks and feel. It's light weight. I wish it had checkered front strap but I can do that later. On the down side I've heard a lot about reliability issues with a 3" barrel and I do wonder if it would be miserable to shoot due to light weight and short barrel. Still, it has a lifetime warranty.

The second weapon is Kimber's CDP II. They offer this one in a compact (officer's frame) with a 4" barrel. I like the idea of this size. The downside is I don't like the grey plastic mainspring housing or the extreme melt job on the gun. And I've heard some bad things about their extractors but don't know too much about that. It does have the front strap checkered and also comes with a lifetime warranty.

Both cost about $1,000.00. So, it's down to these two. I wish I could get a compact frame with a 4" barrel with Springfield but they don't make anything with the compact frame anymore, they go from their champion full size down to the micro/ultra. If they made their micro with a 4" barrel that would be great, but alas...

So which would you choose and why?

Thank folks for the help...

Gideon

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I have a Colt defender 3 inch and a Colt 1991A1 in 3and a half. No experience with the particular guns you are considering but I will say the recoil is not bad at all in either one of mine. As a matter of fact I really enjoy shooting either one. I have never had a ftf or a fte with either one but as has already been mentioned some have.

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
I second the skipping a 3" , too many documented problems. I went with the Champion because of the SA lifetime warranty, full size grip means cheap mags and better control. I got the LW , so it's great to carry. I did have a slide stop problem , but SA replaced it quickly for me. If you are set on a 3" look at the Colt defender. I have not heard of any problems with these guns.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Kimber is the better choice, hands down. Better parts, better craftsmanship, just plain better all around.:danceban:

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
If you don't like the features of the CDP then go with a Kimber Compact stainless, night sites, internal extractor for about $800.00.

The three inch Kimbers are a little picky some starting out but it is just in using quality mags, Wilson or Tripp etc, in either gun and properly cleaning, lubing, either gun with the ammo they like the best.

I have an UCDP and it is a sweet carry piece, I understand your frustration with the plastic MSH but that is an easy change.

I can't comment on the Springfields cause I don't have any but I wouldn't rule out a true CCO 1911 either. Officer frame, commander slide! 4.25" instead of the 4" bbl. You will never notice the difference.

I don't know your budget and I hate to spend others money for them but if you can hold out for a better quality 1911 a couple to look at is the Wilson Combat compact CQB 4.1" bbl officer frame or a Les Baer Stinger with the same specs. They are both excellent carry guns and the Baer is a steal at $1,500.00. Actually my dealer has them for $1,475.00.

CQB = $2,000.00

Stinger = $1,500.00

They are both of very high quality and you won't have to worry about looking back. By quality buy once!

Ti.

Couple pics!

1) Stinger
2) CQB
3) Compact Stainless

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Have no experience with either, but have ya ever thought of the CCO? Its a commander length barrel (4.25") and the officers model grip. I love that configuration. Easy to conceal, easy to shoot, just plain dead on for my off duty carry.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Of the two you mentioned, I'd go with the Kimber simply because I've heard too much negative feedback about the little-bitty ones. As someone else mentioned, if you don't like the CDP, you could get the Pro-carry. IIRC, the Tacoma, Wash. PD issues the Pro-carry as their standard sidearm so I would presume it's proved to be a good weapon.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
I have a Kimber CDP Compact, the original series, and I just love the gun. In somewhere around 2,000 rounds it's never given me a hicup.

The melt job is actually very comfortable to wear. It's easy on the clothes, a good thing.

It's very accurate. I've shot 2" groups with it at 25 yards off of sandbags.

Dependable. Accurate. Comfortable to wear. Hard hitting .45 ACP and only 28 ounces empty.

Now that's what I call a carry gun.

My .02 worth.

Oh, as for the plastic main spring housing? I told Kimber mine had broke and they sent me a metal one.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
We've had a 3 inch SA Micro that just keeps returning to us..............kinda like a bad penny. It's had FTF FTE issues in the past, been sent to Springfield/oor the gunsmith several times without resolve. The last person to buy it, never broght it nack, so it may have been fixed, or he just sold it elsewhere.
The Kimber..........I'd buy it no questions asked.. I have a Pro CDP 4 inch and a Ultra CDP in the 3 inch that function flaswlessly, as well as the 3 in Defender. of course I have several other 1911 platform guns too, BUT the Kimber's are a REALLY GOOD GUN..........in ALL lenght barres..

·
Registered
737 Posts
Faced with this choice, I would go with the Kimber (you should see the pained look on my face as I type this). Of course, right after I bought the Kimber, I would be compelled to replace the slide stop, hammer, sear, MSH, and every other plastic or MIM part on it, but that's because I have a mild case of OCD when it comes to that stuff, and that's also the reason I won't buy Kimber in the first place. But, as I said, faced with the choice above, I'd go with the Kimber for the longer barrel. 3" barrelled 1911s can work just fine, but they're not as forgiving of less than ideal circumstances. As we all know, defensive encounters rarely occur under ideal circumstances. FWIW, new Kimbers are now coming with internal extractors. If you order one through an FFL, just make sure to specify that you want the internal extractor and they should be able to find it. Don't forget that Colt is making the CCO again too (sorry I had to throw that out there). :embarassed: Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
22,006 Posts
Kurt,

Colt is making the CCO, or the Defender? The CCO had the Commander upper on an Officers receiver.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I would definitely go with the Kimber. I am about to purchase a Kimber Stainless II. It will be my first 1911, can't wait!

·
Registered
737 Posts
OD, they're making the CCO and the Defender. The CCO is a custom shop gun, so it's not exactly common, but it is available.

·
Super Moderator
22,006 Posts
Thanks Kurt, that's good to hear.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Roadrunner said:
The CCO is a custom shop gun, so it's not exactly common, but it is available.
You can also get the CCO from/at Gunsite for about $1100.00 (dont quote me on the price but the Gunsmitty like on their site shows it).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts