Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read several threads and comments regarding conduct and things that you do or don't say after an incident. But I haven't seen anything that would address what family members should or shouldn't say. If ever it happened that in defending my family I shoot someone, I would think that the police will want to interview each of my family as witnesses. I'm not worried about my wife saying anything but what about kids that are 12 or under? Should a person prepare young kids for the possibility of being interviewed alone with an officer? If the answer is yes, then how would you address the subject?

·
Banned
160 Posts
Lawyer up, don't say a word, neither should the kids.
Teach them that . Name ,Rank, and Serial Number, that's IT.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Tell them to tell the truth about what they actually saw and NOT to add what they "thought". It's hard to teach that to adults, good luck with kids! :hand5:

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
I sure don't know all the "rules", but I would tell the police they were not to speak with the kids without a lawyer present -- for any reason at all.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Personally, I think your concerns are unfounded. Best not to predispose your position, and best not to predict your conviction. Preparation or schooling will come out at trial no matter what. Best to leave things as is and the truth is not always your enemy. Change the outcome before it happens, and you're asking for trouble in my book.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Daddy saved our life, that man was going to kill us. That will do it.

·
Registered
862 Posts

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
FWIW, I do not believe they can speak to your minor children alone. There should be a lawyer or parent present for any interrogation with a minor, IIRC.

·
Banned
1,725 Posts
Little kids in general also tend not to add useless or ornate details, like many adults do (at least in my experience with kids). You may have to worry more about the older members of your family.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
My wife and I have already discussed the LEO approach after an 'incident'...:ziplip::ziplip::ziplip::ziplip::ziplip::ziplip::ziplip:...no one is going to talk to the grandchildren...period.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My wife and I's canned response would be something to the effect of:

"I am sorry, I am very shaken up right now, please talk to my lawyer until I can calm down, all I know is I thought he/she was going to kill us"

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
Daddy saved our life, that man was going to kill us. That will do it.

Classic! Classic! Classic!!!

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

·
Banned
160 Posts
If a LEO can get grown people to act and speak against their own best interests just imagine what they can get a kid to say. Nothing against LEO's ,but they have a job to do, they are not your friend. Your lawyer, on the other hand ,IS on your side. Don't let anyone talk to your kids, especially alone. Kids are easily led, and they just might say what they think the LEO wants to hear. Once they say something, there's no taking it back. Being quiet never hurt anyone.

·
Registered
305 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts