Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
18,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a pretty good podcast from June 2019 with Chris Baker of Lucky Gunner and
A “ been there/done that “ guy Darryl Bolke.

Fast forward to the 37 minute marK to where the conversation actually begins.
Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Wow. Thanks for sharing the link, G-man. I'm about halfway through the podcast, and am really enjoying listening to Darryl Bolke. His rational about snubbies, and revolvers in general, makes a lot of sense. I especially like how he defined guns you use for going to a fight, and guns you use for getting out of a fight, at the beginning. Having paid attention to so many threads about them here on the forum, I'm familiar with what their advantages are.

I do have a DW Model 15, .357, with a 4 inch barrel, but it's too big for me to conceal. I sure enjoy shooting it at the range, though.

·
Premium Member
7,673 Posts
Pretty interesting. I've watched up to 1:31, through big bore snubs. Interesting take on the "old school" 125 .357 mags with the ball of fire.

So far lots of down to earth advice from real world experience.

Good stuff, thanks for the find.

·
Registered
18,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is not just about J-Frames. Plenty of love for the ~3” medium-frames, too, especially the late, great Uncle Pat’s Speed Six.

I have played this one, multiple times, usually through my Tundra’s sound system, while rolling along the Interstate.
I agree! But I was also thinking that regardless of what you carry, there is a ton of wisdom here.

·
Administrator
21,095 Posts
They put on an annual revolver shoot, the Recolver Round Up, I plan on trying to make it to 2021's.

Bolke and Dobbs (HITS) are good dudes, I had the pleasure of taking their 1st Responder Handgun last summer in Dallas. Highly recommend them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
181 Posts
Wow. Thanks for sharing the link, G-man. I'm about halfway through the podcast, and am really enjoying listening to Darryl Bolke. His rational about snubbies, and revolvers in general, makes a lot of sense. I especially like how he defined guns you use for going to a fight, and guns you use for getting out of a fight, at the beginning. Having paid attention to so many threads about them here on the forum, I'm familiar with what their advantages are.

I do have a DW Model 15, .357, with a 4 inch barrel, but it's too big for me to conceal. I sure enjoy shooting it at the range, though.
Love my DW 15-2 with the 2½" barrel and it does carry well for a full size revolver. My current EDC is S&W 360 AirWeight and both pistols are loaded with 125 gr .357 rounds. Golden Saber (1220 fps) in the AirWeight and Gold Dot (1450 fps) or Hornady XTP in the DW.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Finished watching the podcast late last night. It was time well spent, and I'll be watching it again.

Lots and lots of useful insight.

Reactions: rlggray

·
Registered
18,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They put on an annual revolver shoot, the Recolver Round Up, I plan on trying to make it to 2021's.

Bolke and Dobbs (HITS) are good dudes, I had the pleasure of taking their 1st Responder Handgun last summer in Dallas. Highly recommend them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
When will they be taking registration for the 2021 classes?
I’m ready to pay up now!!

·
Super Moderator
18,413 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of J-Frames. They're just a little too stunted in several areas for me to enjoy them. Of course the stunted-ness has a purpose and they do hide well.

Thanks JD for the recommendation. I'd not heard of this. It'd be easy enough for me to go. It'd have to be 2021 for me.

·
Registered
18,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When Darryl was talking about the draw and hit to the head in less than a second, this particularly hit home for me, among other points he made.

I struggle to keep my shots in the small circle of the head target doing the Wizard Drill from 3 yards, but when talking the entire head/face size as the target, he is spot on!

The normal looking aspect of standing with your hand in your pocket in public is another thing we have discussed here several times.

The “ get you out of trouble” gun aspect is another good point, that imo kind of provides the needed balance to the idea of personal self protection.

Another thing that struck me as very sensible is the j frame as a travel gun when using the airlines.
At less than $400, it’s cheap reliable protection that wouldn’t hurt nearly as bad if lost or stolen in transit as one of my higher value guns, and you don’t have to worry about magazine capacity restrictions.

Ammo restrictions? Just use a wad cutter or semi wad cutter and you are legal in all states.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
The "get out of trouble gun" concept of snub revolvers fits my thinking perfectly. Good common sense for the vast majority of us. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: rlggray and Tstone

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
16,335 Posts
Interesting podcast. I am not a big fan of snub-nose revolvers. I am much more accurate with longer barrel handguns. My only snub-nose revolver is an alloy 2" Colt Cobra .38 special manufactured in 1952. The only time I would consider carrying it would be in a jacket pocket to the mailbox 100 feet from the house.

My concealed carry revolvers are a 4" Colt Python .357 magnum, a 4.2" Ruger GP100 Match Champion 10mm, and a 4" S&W 29-2 .44 magnum. I prefer to shoot and open carry 6" to 8" revolvers.

My "get out of trouble" pocket gun is a (6+1) Sig P938 9mm carried cocked and locked with a spare magazine.

·
Registered
18,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting podcast. I am not a big fan of snub-nose revolvers. I am much more accurate with longer barrel handguns. My only snub-nose revolver is an alloy 2" Colt Cobra .38 special manufactured in 1952. The only time I would consider carrying it would be in a jacket pocket to the mailbox 100 feet from the house.

My concealed carry revolvers are a 4" Colt Python .357 magnum, a 4.2" Ruger GP100 Match Champion 10mm, and a 4" S&W 29-2 .44 magnum. I prefer to shoot and open carry 6" to 8" revolvers.

My "get out of trouble" pocket gun is a (6+1) Sig P938 9mm carried cocked and locked with a spare magazine.
My EDC is a 460 S&W XFrame backed up by a S&W M69 44 magnum in my pocket.

But ya know.......rolleyes

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
When Darryl was talking about the draw and hit to the head in less than a second, this particularly hit home for me, among other points he made.

I struggle to keep my shots in the small circle of the head target doing the Wizard Drill from 3 yards, but when talking the entire head/face size as the target, he is spot on!

The normal looking aspect of standing with your hand in your pocket in public is another thing we have discussed here several times.

The “ get you out of trouble” gun aspect is another good point, that imo kind of provides the needed balance to the idea of personal self protection.

Another thing that struck me as very sensible is the j frame as a travel gun when using the airlines.
At less than $400, it’s cheap reliable protection that wouldn’t hurt nearly as bad if lost or stolen in transit as one of my higher value guns, and you don’t have to worry about magazine capacity restrictions.

Ammo restrictions? Just use a wad cutter or semi wad cutter and you are legal in all states.
I found a lot to like in there too.
Living in CA I understand the travel gun. Accidentally getting diverted into San Francisco with a High Cap mag or hollow point ammo, may get you arrested or at min may get your stuff confiscated!
I like his concept of "Get Me Out Of Trouble" guns. And I like his reasoning for only carrying a revolver in a pocket. My revolvers are shaped well to come out of any pocket.
I kind of laughed at the reasoning for why .357 was so effective! A Flash-Bang with a 38 cal bullet behind it is kind of a fight deterrent! Maybe I need to rethink that one!

He made me want a 2.5" or 3" k frame to go with my J's and maybe another 45 colt shorty! DR

·
Registered
18,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I kind of laughed at the reasoning for why .357 was so effective! A Flash-Bang with a 38 cal bullet behind it is kind of a fight deterrent
I think he got kind of side tracked when he was talking about this, but I wish he would have also brought up the fact that most 357 Mag revolvers carried by the police were charged with 38spls up until the Newhall incident, which is when some some agencies insisted practicing with and carrying 357 magnum cartridges, which brought about the GP 100 and 586 revolvers to be able to withstand a steady diet of those. And, even then we find agencies still using 38 spl +p in 357 mag revolvers Until the Miami shootout when autoloaders started taking over.

Reactions: dangerranger
1 - 20 of 33 Posts