Defensive Carry banner

If you open carry, what type of holster do you use?

• I use a holster with some form of retention, i.e., thumb break, etc.

Votes: 22 71.0%
  • I use a holster with no special type of retention, other than what keeps the weapon in the holster.

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • What's retention?

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I personally don't open carry in the city and only occasionally when I hike or hunt (normally am wearing a pack with a Wilderness Safe Packer holster that conceals the pistol). However, I admit I am curious about open carry. I have read that if you do open carry in populated areas, you should wear a retention holster (i.e., something with a thumb break or similar device). So, my question is, if you open carry, does your holster have a thumb break? I'll put that in the form of a poll. Pardon my ignorance if I have not provided enough choices in the poll, but I think this will at least get the discussion going.

I'm also interested in what type (brand and model) of holster you use for open carry.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I open carry quite often as I am in the woods a lot (sometimes in town as well). I carry either a GP100 in a Bianchi cyclone or an SP101 in a Triple K. Both have thumb breaks as that is what we used in the Sheriff's Dept. and I am used to that system. Both holsters also work crossdraw which is handy when carrying a rifle, fishing pole or driving. I think it is helpful to also have some retention training as far as a gun grab.

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had several training courses on weapons retention, but only with an open top holster.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
90% of the time, yes. I've got a couple thumb break holsters from Desantis that are my primary OC holsters. From time to time I'll OC with the Wrangler from Nelson holsters with no thumb break, but not very often.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I only OC appendix cross draw to maybe right before the 2 o'clock. I will however sloppy CC all the way to my 3 o'clock. No retention other than the retention screws in my holsters. I already have to do three things to make my gun go bang besides draw, I don't want or feel I need, an added extra step when I OC.

·
Registered
18,554 Posts
Absolutely. Especially on the very rare occasion I do in public, and then I back it up with a pocket gun in the offside pocket.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
I oc about daily , home, town, whereever I happen to go unless I expect a no gun sign, church service, or funeral.
Locally or out of town in my state.
Most of the time I use a Serpa but I also use a regular pancake holster alot to cuz it hides better under a t shirt if I run into the rare no gun sign.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
Most of the time I use a Serpa but I also use a regular pancake holster alot to cuz it hides better under a t shirt if I run into the rare no gun sign.
What he said. Owned a Serpa holster for almost a month now, and love it. I also prefer pancake holster because they're more comfortable than other holster, conceal well, and hold the weapon close and snug to the body.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
I OWB carry 100% of the time-I very rarely do not have the pistol covered with a shirt of some kind.I use a Mitch Rosen Premiere that does not have any type of retention besides bone fit.The other holster I also use very frequently is a Allessi CQCS which also has no type of other retention.
The rake of the pistol in the holster makes it quite hard to remove from behind-wrong angle.I have had my wife try to pull the pistol out from the rear-You almost need to rip holster and all off the belt.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a SIG 229 that is my normal carry. My normal holster is a Bianchi 82, with ARS. Yes the gun is big, and Yes the holster is not the best in concealment. I carry at 4:00 to 5:00 o'clock. and I feel comfortable, when driving or walking around.
I am an older person, with this as my favorite holster. What I love is that, in training, all I have to do is solidly sink it into the holster and hear the "Click".
Unlike my 239, where I have to fiddle with the thumb break on my Don Hume.
So yea, I use retention holsters.

·
Registered
71 Posts
At this current time I have only open carried once, unless you consider buying a firearm at a gun show and carrying it around. Anyway I used a holster with level II retention in the form of a hammer strap. I would never OC in a city or gathering of people without at least a level II holster.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
If I OC, it's either with a single-actoon with a hammer thong or a D/A revolver with hammer thong or safety strap

With a semi-auto, I use a thumb break for OC unless it's just my exposed IWB,.

All of these are D&D GUNLEATHER... I just happen to know the owner <tsk> GUN ON HIP - ad.jpg S&W Mod 57 Leather.jpg New Image.JPG

·
Super Moderator
16,786 Posts
On the rare occasion I open carry it is in a Tague holster with a thumb break. When I first bought the holster I did not notice it was made for paperweight mode of carry but with a little water and a Popsicle stick that was corrected.

Reactions: G-man* and G26Raven

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I OC a G30 every day in the STL metro area. My holster of choice is a Gould & Goodrich thumb break model.

By the way, I have yet to receive any comments...even mothers with small kids don't notice!

Reactions: G26Raven
1 - 16 of 16 Posts