Defensive Carry banner

Which home defense shotgun would you buy?

• Benelli M2

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Benelli M4

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • Benelli Nova

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Beretta 1301

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Keltec KSG

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Mossberg 500

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • Mossberg 590

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • Mossberg 930

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • Remington 870

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • Other

Votes: 19 22.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
8,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I've pretty much settled on purchasing a Mossberg 930 SPX, but I am still researching shotguns and am open to further discussion. This morning, I spent some time reading up on the Beretta 1301 Tactical, which looks well made but seems to have more recoil due to its light weight.

My question is, knowing what you know today (based on your experience and knowledge) which shotgun would you buy for home defense (not hunting)? Money (price) is not my most important consideration (it does factor in), but rather quality, reliability, weight, recoil, etc. all come before price for me. Manufacturer support is also a big issue.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I think today I would buy a Mossberg but, I would buy one I could swap barrels on and use for hunting as well. Is that the 500/530?
I bought my Remington 870 wingmaster in 1980 as it used to be the gold standard in field grade shotguns and was in every police cruiser I worked around but, with slipping QC and less than stellar reviews today I think Mossberg would be my choice. I have always heard good things about Benelli but, I have never owned one.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,318 Posts
HD shotgun duties have been assigned to a Mossberg 590 Mariner for the past twelve years. The tube carries a full load of #4s with a six round side saddle split between low recoil 00 and slugs.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I opted for the Mossberg 590 because that's what I utilize. Modifications made replaced the OEM barrel sight bead with a night sight bead, OEM magazine stamped follower with a machined follower, OEM safety switch button with a more aggressive metal safety button, and mounted a (6)-Rd shell saddle to the receiver.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
My Mossberg 930 has a 24 “ barrel which is ideal for grouse and turkey. I have both the standard and pistolgrip stocks. I mean to get a slug barrel for it too, someday.
Form low base target trash to the heaviest of turkey loads, my 930 will cycle normally without fail or mag dump as fast as my AR and as fast as you can stuff more in it.
It’s just like Jerry in a Mossberg commercial, except he makes hits.

It’s funny, I ultimately chose it because of my M500 20 ga that I got when I was a kid and still use today. Haven’t been disappointed.

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
I’m not very experienced with shotguns so I went with a 500 just because it’s one of only a few shotguns I have experience with and they’ve worked well for me.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Knowing its just for HD would make the choices easier.
I want maximum capacity.
I want an action I am most familiar with.
I want a gun with a long history of reliability.

For me that would be an 870 Remington. I know Semi auto has come a long way in reliability. But I am not used to them. [ personal choice].
The 870 has the ability to use screw on mag extensions in what ever size matches your barrel length. Mossberg's forward barrel lug prevents using an add on mag.
and I prefer the safety on the trigger guard.[again personal choice].

Now if you opened my safe, You would find an 870 Rem,a Rem A5, a Sportsman48 [semi auto Rem],a Mossberg 500, two Maverick 88, [ pump guns], a couple SxS's, and a few single shot guns. Only the 870, and 500 have short barrels. but they can be swapped easily . And put back in hunting trim.

My defense load is #4 buck through a Mod choke at about 1200 fps.The reason I picked that is it makes a nice round pattern at 35 yards [ the distance my porch lights illuminate the yard.] And it works equally well from my 870 or SxS.
Good Luck in picking, It's all about making choices that work for you! DR

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Benelli M4.

If it’s good enough for the USMC it’s good enough for me! Pricey, but you would not be disappointed.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
I forgot to mention one of the slickest functioning pump shotguns ever made: the Winchester 1300 Defender.

Winchester-1300-Defender.jpg

·
Administrator
21,034 Posts
Knowing its just for HD would make the choices easier.
I want maximum capacity.
I want an action I am most familiar with.
I want a gun with a long history of reliability.

For me that would be an 870 Remington. I know Semi auto has come a long way in reliability. But I am not used to them. [ personal choice].
The 870 has the ability to use screw on mag extensions in what ever size matches your barrel length. Mossberg's forward barrel lug prevents using an add on mag.
and I prefer the safety on the trigger guard.[again personal choice].

Now if you opened my safe, You would find an 870 Rem,a Rem A5, a Sportsman48 [semi auto Rem],a Mossberg 500, two Maverick 88, [ pump guns], a couple SxS's, and a few single shot guns. Only the 870, and 500 have short barrels. but they can be swapped easily . And put back in hunting trim.

My defense load is #4 buck through a Mod choke at about 1200 fps.The reason I picked that is it makes a nice round pattern at 35 yards [ the distance my porch lights illuminate the yard.] And it works equally well from my 870 or SxS.
Good Luck in picking, It's all about making choices that work for you! DR
That's not entirety true of the 590, there's a NIB factory 18.5" with a +1 at the local shop that's about to come home with me.

Coupled with the better safety location and some of Remington's lackluster QC of late, I feel better going with the 590 as far as current production guns go.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
15,894 Posts
I grew up in the Rocky Mountains hunting deer with Winchester '94 .30-30. Nobody I knew was into bird hunting or shotguns. I often carried a 12 gauge riot gun in Viet Nam. To me a shotgun has always meant a 12 gauge short barrel for home-defense. My one and only shotgun is a Mossberg 500 with a 20" barrel loaded with #1 buckshot.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
I forgot to mention one of the slickest functioning pump shotguns ever made: the Winchester 1300 Defender.

View attachment 306794
I have a 1200 Defender, which is the shotgun I have set up for home defense. Never an issue with it, & it patterns well with the loads I use.

·
Registered
598 Posts
You can also swap barrels on the Mossberg 930.

I think today I would buy a Mossberg but, I would buy one I could swap barrels on and use for hunting as well. Is that the 500/530?
I bought my Remington 870 wingmaster in 1980 as it used to be the gold standard in field grade shotguns and was in every police cruiser I worked around but, with slipping QC and less than stellar reviews today I think Mossberg would be my choice. I have always heard good things about Benelli but, I have never owned one.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Well, 14" is really a long pull. We are talking about a shotgun that may be fired from less then ideal positions or conditions as in kneeling, crouching, or odd angles. I have come to realize that a shorter stock comes in very handy. Although with a peep and not a scope it probably will work. Play with it. Some have even recommended youth models. Also, the Mossberg you are looking at only comes with an open choke and can't use tubes unless you have it modified for tubes. They come in handy if you want to dial in a certain load or distance. I haven't patterned one in years, but I seem to remember targets anywhere from 3 ft across to smaller than paper bag size holding a pattern. Of coarse open choke has worked for years on anything up close. Too much choke and it is easy to miss.

I shot a Benneli auto years ago (late 80's) that someone had at a bowling pin match. I think it had a pistol grip stock and was a 12 ga. After 5 fast shots it had backed me up a step or two. Loved it though. I'm still just a little bit leary of auto's in shotguns. Probably from years ago when there were more problems with them feeding reliably. I've also had 870's with feeding issues. Older ones even.

I can't help in your choice. The ones I have now don't need replacing.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Voted other , while any of those will do many things to consider. price a basic home defense shot gun does not need to be expensive . A HD weapon should be just that a HOME weapon . If it is out hunting it is not at home. The Benelli M4 failed us in the field.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
The old Wingmasters were the good stuff. I’ve got two made in the 70’s. These days I’d go with a Mossy. They remind me of the way Remington used to be. What fools.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Voted other because I am going with a Mossberg Shockwave as my home defense weapon.

Joe
Practice practice practice. In my experience, most folks shoot the short ones low, and at close range low enough to miss completely. I like mine but I don’t trust me enough for a bump in the night response.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts