Defensive Carry banner

Which home defense shotgun would you buy?

• Benelli M2

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Benelli M4

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • Benelli Nova

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Beretta 1301

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Keltec KSG

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Mossberg 500

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • Mossberg 590

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • Mossberg 930

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • Remington 870

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • Other

Votes: 19 22.4%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
8,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #41

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I went with this one. I did not mind the extra couple of inches, and wanted to extra rounds. If it were for more than home defense, I would probably recommend the 500 with interchangeable 28 and 18 in barrels.

https://www.mossberg.com/product/590-9-shot-heat-shield-50645/

Got it at Big 5 many moons ago. Things feels like it is built like a tank, swings well and patterns nicely. I love it.

Reactions: OldChap

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
My vote is for the Remington 870 but I qualify that to the older models.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
8,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
My vote is for the Remington 870 but I qualify that to the older models.
If I did not have rotator cuff issues I would consider a pump. But, I need a semi-auto to help soak up some of the recoil.

Reactions: OlCop

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Fostech origin 12 with 30 round drum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
been a few more bullpups coming out in recent years, both pump and semi auto. they'll continue to get better. i have a KSG that runs minishells pretty well (20+) round capacity :) I got a salvo 12 for it but havent tried it on for size yet. hopefully not too clunky. If i were to rely on a SG, i'd want to reach for earprotection first! its gotta be devastating to the hearing indoors!

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
My fighting shotgun is a Mossberg 590A1 20". It is a great gun. If I could go back, Id probably go back and buy a 500 or 590 and get it with an 18" barrel. The 20" 590A1 is a beast with its relatively high capacity, extra thick barrel, etc. All that being said... It is HEAVY! I took a shotgun course and the weight of the gun really ate my lunch. It was about 400 rounds in 2 days and thought my right shoulder would be aching afterwards. It was my left shoulder doing the hurting from having to hold that long heavy shotgun out there.

I would feel comfortable having a couple less rounds with a lighter, shorter shotgun for a home defense gun.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
The Mossberg 500/590 would be my #1 choice in a pump. (18" 500 Best choice overall.)
The Beretta 1301 would be my first choice in a compact semi-auto. (Best choice for semi-auto if maneuvering in close quarters.)
The Remington VersaMax Tactical would be my first choice in a full-length (high capacity) semi-auto. (Best choice for hunkered down/barricaded position, like behind a bed. Let them come to you.). This VersaMax is the softest-shooting, most reliable, most-versatile semi-auto shotgun I've ever used.

I have all of these and they're awesome shotguns!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mossberg 500 20 gauge with 18.5" barrel and Hogue Tamer recoil reducing pistol grip. The only drawback to the 20, not as many ammo options as a 12. It is however easier on aging bones, or for the recoil shy to operate; while still being capable of delivering a threat stopping report. The 12 is not truly a necessity for home defense, although they are fun for some, not so much with a pistol grip; though I don't have an issue with it. The 20 gauge with the Hogue Tamer Grip, seems almost as tame as a 410 with the hard plastic pistol grip.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Stoeger double 12 g. Got one for Valentine’s Day but haven’t shot it yet, will take care of that this winter since weather is cooler now. Fits well, like the shorter barrel.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I have a Winchester '97 with a 20'' barrel in my bedroom closet (12 ga.) and a 20 ga. Double barrel with mule earned hammers in a front closet. Both are loaded with double 00 buck and both have an ammo sleeve on the stock. It works for me and I hunt with both guns, too.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My "HD" shotgun for the past 30 years or so has been a Winchester 101 with modified/improved modified WinChokes installed, and also did primary duty as my duck/bird/small game hunting gun. Still have it. About three years ago I got a Remington 870 Tactical pump, since it was what I was trained with and often carried on the job. Recently I added the Magpull SGA stock and MLOC forend, and found that made it even mo' better. Still have the original bead sight on it, but the next upgrade will be the sights.

·
Registered
525 Posts
If I were looking for a shotgun for home defense now I would look at the keltec KSG or KS7. these I think are really good options. however if you were to look into my gun cabinets, you would see four doubles, 1 in 10 gauge, 2 in 12 gauge, and 1 in 410 bore. you would also see a 20 gauge in bolt action as well as a Remington wingmaster from the early 70s. The 870 is kept loaded cruiser style. With the outstanding price on the keltec KS series, one may be joking them soon.

As for the 20, I know people are wondering. It's from Sears & Roebuck, from the early 70's, and its use? It was my first shotgun, and is excellent for me for trap, squirrel, rabbit, and dove. I have, however moved on from a shotgun for rabbit and squirrel.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
What is this forum's opinions on shotguns made in the AK/AR form factors? Are they reliable? Is the traditional design the best?

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
I carried and qualified with Remington 870's and later 11-87's during my career. That being said, I preferred my older Winchester model 1200 which has a much slicker/faster action than most of the the others. An older Ithaca Model 37 is also pretty slick for a working defensive scatter gun!

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
What is this forum's opinions on shotguns made in the AK/AR form factors? Are they reliable? Is the traditional design the best?
I’ve owned both and sold them both; they were guns that would only work with hot buckshot loads or heavier bird shot/turkey loads. Anything for target practice or Wally World birdshot wouldn’t run at all.

Subsequent phone calls to the distributors were answered with excuses. A couple of calls to gunsmiths both yielded the same answer - to make them 75%-90% reliable count on spending around $1000.00; none of them will be 100% reliable no matter how much money you throw at them.

So I gave up on them and stick with proven designs like a pump or something along the lines of a Versa-Max or Benelli.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Thanks for that. I wondered why they aren't more popular and that is probably why!

41 - 60 of 61 Posts