Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple months ago I was offered a trade for my Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 7mm-08. Someone wanted to trade me either:

a.) Remington 700 in 30-06
b.) Ruger No. 1 in 7mm Rem Mag
c.) Ruger M77 in .338 Win mag

I'm really not interested in the .338. It's a fantastic cartridge, but I don't forsee the need for that much powder & recoil for what I shoot. In fact, my 7mm-08 is currently a perfectly suitable round for whitetails. That said, both the 30-06 and the 7mm rem mag would be huge upgrades in terms of capability and quality of firearm. All the guns he offered have been pillar bedded & free floated, and they have had some trigger work done. I didn't ask, but he would probably include things like brass & cleaning rods etc. because he has done so in the past. I previously turned down the trade because I told him he was out of his mind to make such a one-sided offer, but he insisted that if I was interested the offer stood. Well, my interest is piqued.

What would you guys do if you were me? I'm a reloader and I have dies & components for each (I don't have magnum primers but that's nbd). The primary use would be whitetail hunting at the moment, but I've always wanted to hunt mule deer, elk, etc. I'm not asking whether the 30-06 or 7mm mag is better because to a deer they're the same. I am asking those with some experience what they would do in my shoes: 1.) Keep the 7mm-08, 2.) Switch to the iconic single shot rifle 3.) Switch to the versatile bolt action.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I have owned the Remington 700 30.06 my whole life. It is a great gun and if it were me, I would trade for that one. The 30.06 cartridge is good enough for any large game that you would hunt on this continent and you can buy bullets for it anywhere.

If it were me and his rifle was is equal or better condition than yours, that is what I would do. If not, I would keep your 7mm08.

Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
Agreed on the 06. Versatile, easy to source ammo, covers you for future hunts. The cartridge is very well proven. When my dad passed I ended up with all his gear. The 7mm-08 is the only thing I sold. I just didn't have a need for it. It's a solid cartridge but just didn't fit me.

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
Ruger number 1 for sure!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
That's a great rifle but the 7mm mag ....... It doesn't deliver enough for the cost of ammo and the recoil involved. I dunno, I like 30 cal I guess. 308, 30.06, 300 win mag. We all have our preferences.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I chose the .3006 also because the 700 is a great platform. IMO, the 7mm mag is also a great cartridge, but there is a lot to be said for the 700.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
If he reloads wich the OP does the cost of reloading is no big deal. You can load a 7mag a lot of different ways and it is a very good caliber. I love mine. Also the ruger number 1 locks like the best rifle available out of the lot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'd go with the Remington as well.

Reactions: OlympicViking

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Since you are a reloader, I would go for the 30-06. The possible combinations of bullet weight and power load make it extremely versatile. As long as the Remington is in good shape it's the one I would trade for.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is the Rem 700 an ADL, CDL or BDL? Iron sights or no iron sights?

If not a BDL, I'd take the Ruger #1.
BDL. Stainless barrel, no iron sights. I don't know which scope is on it, but I'm pretty sure it's a variable power Leupold of some sort (he puts Leupolds on every rifle he owns).

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Remington 700 in 30-06.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
i'll go against the grain. while I am huge fan of the 30-06 , you wouldn't catch me EVER trading a push feed (rem 700) for a controlled feed (M77, or Mauser claw style)

in fact, i'm so much a Mauser Claw snob that not a single one of the 5 bolts riflesi currently own is a push feed, and the only one of the maybe dozen or more I've owned over the years gotsold off within a few months.

I'd personally go for the No. 1 - but I sort of have a love affair with the Ruger No. 1's, and some warm history the 7mm mag. ...don't sell the 7mm mag short, my best shot, ever, in my whole life, was a single-shot kill on an antelope in open prairie at about 720 yards. it has an incredibly flat trajectory.

The .338 would intrigue me, but I would trade for that No.1 in a heartbeat.

t's my belly button on the issue. lol

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i'll go against the grain. while I am huge fan of the 30-06 , you wouldn't catch me EVER trading a push feed (rem 700) for a controlled feed (M77, or Mauser claw style)

in fact, i'm so much a Mauser Claw snob that not a single one of the 5 bolts riflesi currently own is a push feed, and the only one of the maybe dozen or more I've owned over the years gotsold off within a few months.

I'd personally go for the No. 1 - but I sort of have a love affair with the Ruger No. 1's, and some warm history the 7mm mag. ...don't sell the 7mm mag short, my best shot, ever, in my whole life, was a single-shot kill on an antelope in open prairie at about 720 yards. it has an incredibly flat trajectory.

The .338 would intrigue me, but I would trade for that No.1 in a heartbeat.

t's my belly button on the issue. lol
Is there a reason you're so vehemently against push feed? It's one thing to have a preference, but your post seems to suggest you've had a bad experience with push feed types before. To tell you the truth I just googled the difference between the two and I only have a cursory understanding.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
BDL. Stainless barrel, no iron sights. I don't know which scope is on it, but I'm pretty sure it's a variable power Leupold of some sort (he puts Leupolds on every rifle he owns).
Yep. New, that is a 900 to 1100 gun without a scope. if it is in good condition I would definitely do it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts