Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I am not here to discuss the philosophies of drinking while carrying (there are plenty of threads on the topic)...this thread is an account of my evening at the Reston Town Center last night.

So the wife and I head over to my old restaurant Mon Ami Gabi, have some great appetizers and a drink each, OC with no issue.

Head on over to the new wine bar in the Town Center called Boxwood. I hate the wines they have, had a small sample of a white and called it a day. Within the first 3 minutes we were in there, one of the ladies who worked there asked me to cover up my gun. I respectfully tell her that VA State Law does not allow me to. That I have to OC in a place that serves alcohol for on site consumption. Discussed property owners rights and their right to ask me to leave. She asked if I was LEO, I told her I was not. She asked why I carry, I told her that about once a month some one (usually a server/bartender) gets mugged in the parking lots and I do not want to be one of those victims. (For those of you who are not familiar with the Reston Town Center, it is a 4 block by 4 block, giant collection of higher end retail and about 16 restaurants, in other words a VERY target rich area. The security there is a joke btw.) Back on topic, the lady at the wine place got a very concerned look on her face and told me that my wife and I were welcome to stay and told us to enjoy our evening.

Briefly head over to McCormick & Schmick's, we do not like the vibe and bounce out quickly. OC'd once again with no issue.

Last place of the evening. We head over to Uno's, some servers that I used to work with at my old restaurant were heading over there and they invited us. I get my wife a beer and the bartender refuses to serve me. He tells me that is very pregnant manager is refusing me alcohol "as VA state law does not allow me to drink with my gun." I laugh at him, say thanks and go find this pregnant manager. Once again, very respectfully I ask her why she is refusing me alcohol. She makes some claim that I can not drink while carrying. I correct her and go through pretty much the same conversation I had 30 minutes before hand at the wine bar. She then speculates if corporate policy dictated whether or not guns are allowed in the restaurant. She asks for me to sit tight while she calls a high up supervisor. 5 minutes later she comes and asks me what kind of a beer I would like, apologizes for the inconvenience and tells me that my beer is on the house.

Over all great evening of hanging out with the wife, friends and educating uninformed.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Good job....I love education....

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I hate to say it, I would not have served you. I support carry in all modes, but not when one is drinking, it only takes one drink here and another there and all the sudden we have a drunk man with a gun call.

EDIT: I see others thing this was done well, I will put my flame suit on now since I do not agree.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well done...??? Good job....??? Really....???

While I support the right to OC, I sure as heck wont give you an ata-boy for OC'ing while bar hopping....

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
I hate to say it, I would not have served you. I support carry in all modes, but not when one is drinking, it only takes one drink here and another there and all the sudden we have a drunk man with a gun call.

EDIT: I see others thing this was done well, I will put my flame suit on now since I do not agree.
Yeah...in psychology they call that projection...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Um, okay, all references to alcohol aside here for the moment -- it sounds to me like you were polite and handled each situation in a way that reflected well for those who carry. I didn't hear about anyone getting loud, nasty, arrogant, etc, either on your side or those of the uneducated. In fact, it sounds as though you educated them in a very pleasant, non-threatening manner and they clearly saw it as such, so on that I say absolutely "well done."

I'm not going to comment about carrying while drinking. Our state does not allow it.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I respect everyones right to carry, and everyones right to consume any beverage they please. I just refuse to combine the two activities... Much the same way I refuse to drink and drive.

·
Registered
643 Posts

+1 :hand10:

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Sounds like you educated a few tonight. I have mixed feelings about the drinking and gun combo, so I won't comment on that. Funny thing though, the one's that applied a little heat "aka- flaming" didn't question how you got from bar to bar, if you were driving, I would tend to think the gun was the lesser of the 2 evils here, but it must have slipped by a few folks. :wink:

Best to ya. Z

·
Registered
192 Posts
Funny thing though, the one's that applied a little heat "aka- flaming" didn't question how you got from bar to bar, if you were driving, I would tend to think the gun was the lesser of the 2 evils here, but it must have slipped by a few folks. :wink:

Best to ya. Z
At Reston Town Center, he'd've been walking. Everything is clumped together in walking distance. And the weather has been quite temperate of late (though it rained a bit today), so a cool evening walk would have been nice.

And though I prefer not to drink at all when I'm out-and-about, whether OC or not (the liquour is cheaper at home, and I don't have to worry about driving :hand10: ), I think you did well in educating those who needed the information.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Good job. Polite interaction goes a long ways and you handled it well with a good outcome.
As for the drinking, I think you mentioned one drink, a wine sample and a beer over a considerable amount of time. :rolleyes: I had 2 LaBatts tonight at the B-day dinner. Love a nice Porterhouse!

·
Registered
249 Posts
My concern is that if an incident were to occur, even the hint of alcohol on your breath could cause big problems even if you were 100% correct.
Agreed. If the SHTF and you had to use your firearm to defend yourself/loved ones and there's alcohol on your breath or witnesses stated to the police and media that they saw you drinking, guess how it's going to be portrayed in the media? Then the OP has done more harm to the cause than good.

Legal to carry and consume alcohol? Yes. Is it wise to do so? IMHO, I don't think so.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Agreed. If the SHTF and you had to use your firearm to defend yourself/loved ones and there's alcohol on your breath or witnesses stated to the police and media that they saw you drinking, guess how it's going to be portrayed in the media? Then the OP has done more harm to the cause than good.

Legal to carry and consume alcohol? Yes. Is it wise to do so? IMHO, I don't think so.
Honestly, if the SHTF, the last thing I would be concerned about is my appearance for the cause. I'd worry more about belonging to some supposed right-wing gun forums. I doubt most media will protray you in a favorable light to begin with. At best, neutral, maybe.

I apologize to the OP, I went off topic. No more from me.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
To OP, you did everything well.

To the side topic. In MI, a minor amount of drinking and carrying can produce many legal problems. That is assuming that just being served and carrying does not somehow violate the permit.

However, IMHO, I don't think having a few drinks and carrying is the same as drunk driving. I don't do either, but I'm guessing, it is only the legal issues that hold me back from drinking a beer while carrying. The same is not true concerning drinking and driving. I would not drink and drive regardless of the law.

·
Super Moderator
19,374 Posts
My personal view is that one should be judged by their actions, not by what someone else thinks their actions might lead to.

For example - if you choose to drive your vehicle and not use a seat belt, that only becomes a problem if YOU become a burden on society because you suffered a preventable traumatic brain injury when you were ejected from your vehicle as it was rolling over.

There's a lot of scrambling for moral high ground here with absolutes expressed with the "I wouldn't drink if... " and "I wouldn't serve you if...", and I respect those opinions. However, I see those as awfully close to the opinions of those who would restrict our freedom to carry arms (concealed or not) based on the feeling that "someone might get hurt" simply because someone is armed.

Sleep deprivation and the use of over-the-counter medications can create far riskier decision-making processes than the use of alcohol in moderation, and both are far more common (and responsible for personal injuries) than is widely appreciated. That's not an invitation for people to go armed while drinking, it's just a recognition that there are numerous acceptable behaviors which adversely affect decision-making, and in the end it's not the behavior but the outcome which needs to be judged.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I am amazed by the number of people who do not think they can be trusted with a gun after drinking a beer, then feel the need to project this on others. Lots of feel-good sheep tonight.

The situations were well handled. Thanks for portraying a positive image of OC'rs by keeping your cool and keeping on the "nice guy" face in the restaurants. Sounds like an interesting night that will lead to smoother nights in the future,.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Honestly, if the SHTF, the last thing I would be concerned about is my appearance for the cause. I'd worry more about belonging to some supposed right-wing gun forums. I doubt most media will protray you in a favorable light to begin with. At best, neutral, maybe.

I apologize to the OP, I went off topic. No more from me.
Then by all means, enjoy your alcoholic beverages when you carry. It's illegal in my state but it's legal in yours.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts