Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just posting this for all you people out there so you are aware and dont run in to the same situation as one of us have. To read about the experience. Here it is: Negative LEO/IKEA Encounter - Michigan - Stories From The States - OpenCarry.org - Discussion Forum

Pretty much in short they don't allow pistols in their store and if they figure out you have one on you they wont tell you to leave they will immediately call the police on you and if handled similar to the person above ban you and any of your guests from their store pertinently. I've never been in these fuufuu stores but I'm glad I haven't. They will never get a penny of my money. They can take their furnature and shove it where the sun dont shine.

Mike

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Me either. I've seen some of the stuff they sell on TV and on line, and no thanks. Just one more reason not to waste my money there:frown:

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
Well...the problem with their tactic (in VA) is: they have to ask you to leave (signs to not hold legal weight)...otherwise, the police can't do a thing (again, in VA)

That's why when I get dragged to to places like IKEA--concealed is concealed

·
Registered
737 Posts
Isn't IKEA a company with Scandinavian roots? I'm not surprised one bit that they are not friendly to 2A.

I detest that cheap ass crap that they peddle and don't support them for that reason. This is just another to make sure my $$$ never goes their way.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Well...the problem with their tactic (in VA) is: they have to ask you to leave (signs to not hold legal weight)...otherwise, the police can't do a thing (again, in VA)

That's why when I get dragged to to places like IKEA--concealed is concealed
Agreed. I was in both the Tampa and Orlando Ikea in the last two weeks. No signs (and even if there were ....). Concealed is Concealed!

However, this does kind of answer the question I was having as I saw Europa dripping in the store. I just figured as a Sweden based company their corporate view would be verrrrry narrow. It appears I was correct and the story above by the OP is why you don't ask them. Knowing now how they are I will be more reluctant to give them my money. Primer on Swedish gun laws by google foo.

Quote below from the Primer. Funny, our guns are safer by implication. I'm sure the Swedes can be just as safe as any given the chance...
Handguns are considered more dangerous here,...

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
They don't have one in my area... So, don't think there will be a chance of me shopping in one.

·
Registered
69 Posts
IKEA always gave me the creeps. Now here's a good reason not to spend my hard earned money there. My wife set up a conservative business meetup group here in Austin TX because we're sick of spending our money at liberal owned businesses.
if she creates a list PM me with it please

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hrm.

The entire thing sits kind of unwell with me. While I understand that the person did not have to show the LEO their ID, if they had simply done so and had an exchange on how OC is legal, I imagine the entire thing would have gone significantly different.

From the employee's perspective, it did certainly seem that the two patrons were being difficult. And for a lot of people, being stubborn with LEO (even while being well within your rights) is enough to send off a flag. I can see them easily banning them from the store for that kind of reaction, had it been for something not firearms related.

Lastly, I think it is a bit hasty to ban the store just because the employee available decided to ban them. I wonder what position the employee had, and what standing it has. I'd also like to see what Ikea corporate has to say about it.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Ikea furniture is for college dorm rooms. That's about it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
A manager at a particular IKEA store didn't want someone openly carrying a gun in this store. I don't think that is an unreasonable business perspective.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hrm.

The entire thing sits kind of unwell with me. While I understand that the person did not have to show the LEO their ID, if they had simply done so and had an exchange on how OC is legal, I imagine the entire thing would have gone significantly different.

From the employee's perspective, it did certainly seem that the two patrons were being difficult. And for a lot of people, being stubborn with LEO (even while being well within your rights) is enough to send off a flag. I can see them easily banning them from the store for that kind of reaction, had it been for something not firearms related.

Lastly, I think it is a bit hasty to ban the store just because the employee available decided to ban them. I wonder what position the employee had, and what standing it has. I'd also like to see what Ikea corporate has to say about it.
I was the person who was OCing that day. Sure I could have just gave the officer my info, but by just reading my original story it fails to give the reader the attitude the officer had right out of the gate. I also had a previous experience with several LEO's several months ago where I decided to be very cooperative, only to have it almost come back and bite me in the a$$. So with my previous negative encounter, and a new encounter were a officer starts off with an attitude, I hope you could understand why I might have been hesitant to give out my ID, or even my name.

I also have heard things about the Canton Police prior to my experience they didn't portray them in the best light.

Like you pointed out, I don't HAVE to provide my name or ID since I was not commiting any crime. We will never know how the situation might have played out had I "cooperated" with these LEO's. At NO time was I being difficult. I kept my answers short and simple (just like IKEA's response to my concern in their email they sent me - which is now on the link posted at the top). My fiance at no time was being difficult either, and I find it ridiculous that IKEA would prohibit her from their property (that day) just becaause she was shopping with a law abiding citizen.

Just thought I would inform you a little more on the situation, and how it should have been percieved, but it is your decision on how you want to interperate what I posted (which is understandable, because reading something that is written sometimes makes it hard to understand what it would have felt like to acctually be in that situation).

·
Registered
10 Posts
A manager at a particular IKEA store didn't want someone openly carrying a gun in this store. I don't think that is an unreasonable business perspective.
That is there right to make that decision, just like it is my right to open carry in the State of Michigan.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Agreed, I understand that some businesses might not want open carry in their stores.

The issue is the employee could have simply walked up to the OCer, and politely asked them to leave because they were making his customers uncomfortable. Or he could have asked him to please put the firearm in his vehicle and then he could come back into the store.

If the employee was too uncomfortable or nervous, he of course could unnecessarily call the cops and have them handle it. Once the cops arrived, the situation should have been over in a few sentences:

LEO 1: Sir, may I talk with you a minute please. I am asking on behalf of IKEA for you to please leave the store and property. They ask that you please do not return to their store.

OCer: Yes officer, I will leave immediately.

The fact that IKEA doesn't want him there is frustrating to me and others on this forum, but understandable. The problem with the situation is that IKEA unnecessarily called the cops, and the cops tried to give the guy a hard time for doing something completely legal.

I will be on an extended road trip and if I want to carry in OR and NV, I will have to Open Carry because they don't have reciprocity with Texas. This situation is one of many that I would not appreciate happening, especially because I will be away from my Home State where I know my laws backwards and forwards.

Kudos to the guy OCing for remaining calm, knowing his laws, and not allowing his rights to be stepped on. I think it is a good lesson if you are going to OC, you should always have a recorder when you step out the door.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
The last time I went to the IKEA stores in Round Rock and Houston, Texas, neither prohibited concealed carry. So it must not be a corporate policy, at least where concealed carry is concerned. No open carry allowed at all in Texas, yet.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Well, I happen to like IKEA; my kitchen I'm building is mostly IKEA, and it's far from college dorm stuff. They never know I have a pistol in my pocket and that's how I like it. How is this different from any OC experience around the sheeple? Just another reason I'll never OC, even though it's legal in PA.

·
Registered
350 Posts
That is there right to make that decision, just like it is my right to open carry in the State of Michigan.
Fair enough. And I agree the cops could have been more professional about it. But I wouldn't say IKEA Corp is anti RKBA because of this specific incident.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
They can take their scandinavian crap back to scandinavia and their business with them.....

1 - 20 of 60 Posts