Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,808 Posts
I'm pretty sure I read a book by a former Navy SEAL who spoke of such training. I believe he said they need to be comfortable letting teammates shoot at them - and being shot at. Of course, people die in training like that. I sure wouldn't do that unless I were doing what the snake eaters do for a living - and thankfully, my days of that happening are long past.

EDIT - We had a paramedic, who was training as a tactical medic for the SWAT team, got shot because some dufus didn't let a buddy check his weapon before entering a shoot house. Mr. Murphy guided that round right into his lung. He survived, but was forced to retire. Then the idiot politicians decided he didn't deserve a disability or pension. After the lawyer got through. the taxpayers will be paying him for a long, long time. Thankfully this was in a neighboring city, but boy did our guys pay attention.

·
Registered
671 Posts
... Ummm ... It doesn't look like the guys standing as props are particularly scared of a 9mm G17... ...Just sayin'...

Reactions: AzQkr

·
Super Moderator
17,985 Posts
I think training would be just as effective had they used mannequins instead, having people in the line of fire like that to me is irresponsible.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
I'm with OldChap on this one. I too have read accounts of SEAL training like this and people did get shot, resulting in the loss of two team members; the person shot and the person who shot him. I can see where there might be situations where this type of training could be beneficial but those situations are extreme, dire, and hopefully, rare.

I'm not convinced the benefits would outweigh the risks, especially when one considers the investment in resources, time, and money that go into training a team up to this level.

Reactions: OldChap and AzQkr

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
yeah, just another day a the office for me........:hand5:

Reactions: Instymp and AzQkr

·
Registered
10,303 Posts
Looks stupid to me. People make mistakes no matter how well-trained they are. Putting yourself in front of a shooter is plain dumb.

For those who play video games, there's a scene like that in one of the Call of Duty games, where you go through a training course with pop-up terrorist targets. It ends with entering a room with four targets lined up, with an instructor standing in the middle of them. The first time I played it, not knowing he was there, I went right to left, target one down, target two down, then drilled the instructor right between the eyes. The screen went dark and said something like "you shot a teammate!" Being it was a video game, I jist laughed and restarted, and I guess it's a lesson about knowing your target; but doing that in real life? Count me out.

·
Premium Member
36,695 Posts
I managed to watch about forty-five seconds of it.

Reactions: AzQkr

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Spec ops training. No new nukes here. Trust is a big issue with teams. Look at it as team building exercises....:image035:

·
Registered
8,808 Posts
I think training would be just as effective had they used mannequins instead, having people in the line of fire like that to me is irresponsible.
I agree with that 100%. If I understood the book correctly, the purpose was not as much for the shooter, as it was for the person down range. Even then, I'm not sure what the lesson imparted is - with the possible exception of building complete trust among team members.

I shudder to ask if we have any former SEALS who read this forum who might clarify the subject. I see no reason for that kind of training in civilian circles though. Far too dangerous. And not needed. Certainly not SWAT, HRT, etc.

·
Registered
887 Posts
That's just wrong...yipes

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
One word that you never want to hear came to mind when I watched this.

"Oops!"

Reactions: ETXhiker

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Talk about trust building exercises!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts