Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am paraphrasing a brief conversation here I had with a friend who's not particularly for or against self defense. So while he doesn't think I am insane, he does ridicule me for my interests in awareness, true crime, combat shooting, survivalism, etc.

He's a blissninny. He has stated before he's never needed a gun before and if he got one, he'd be more susceptible to being victimized. Yep.

Anyway I asked him point blank if he ever thought it was plausible he could ever need to protect himself in any fashion. He said it wasn't very likely.

"I didn't say likely, I said plausible. Are there realistic circumstances under which you'd have to do something to save yourself by disabling an attacker with physical force? The probability of the event occurring is not relevant."

And he admitted, yes, if there were say a modern civil war, he'd have to fight. And then I asked him what he would do precisely and he told me "I'll just pick one [a rifle] up and start killing."

I asked him several questions:

What would you be picking up exactly?
Where would it come from?

He said he'd take a weapon off the dead, he suggested a fallen soldier or SWAT officer. I wanted to laugh at him at that point because in his civil war scenario these people would be more likely to survive because of their support and training. Rather than be smug and suggest he might be the dead himself, I ran with it.

Okay so what kind of gun are you getting from them in all likelihood? An M16. Okay a plausible answer, that's good. And I proceeded to ask: how does one fire the M16? And he answered : "You put the bullets in the clip and put the clip in and pull the trigger."

I allowed for the terminology errors, but still, WRONG ANSWER! You do that you'll get a click with no bang and nothing more.

"Well what makes you so great Mr. Gun Nut?" Nothing, I just have a freakin' clue how a service rifle works.

I then asked him if he knew what a lane of fire was, what does patrol ready refer to, can you fire .223 in a 5.56 chamber, can you fire 7.62 in a .308 chamber, how do you zero an A2 sight...

I won't bore you with the details because I don't want to be similarly schooled by somebody reading this who knows better, but I drove the point home to him he didn't even have a clue which end of that thing was the dangerous one. At least he admitted it.

Why would a person who could conceive being in a life and death situation not do something, anything, to aid themselves? He could at least get some OC spray.

It's okay, he's going to "get a gun some day when [he] gets married". Jeez.:hand5:

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Euclidean said:
It's okay, he's going to "get a gun some day when [he] gets married".
Until his wife tells him no. I don't picture the type of guy you described (1) marrying the type of woman who would see the need to own a gun (2) having the guts to stand up to her.

"Umm, honey. I think I may want to get a gun."

"Why?"

"Umm...I don't know. We may need one."

"You are not bringing a gun into my house."

"Yes, dear."

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
This guy will just be another victim in our victim rich society.

If SHTF ever happens, these people will be begging the 'sheepdogs' to protect them. Personally, I'll be too busy protecting me and mine.

I say, let him live and die in his ignorance.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Euclidean said:
Why would a person who could conceive being in a life and death situation not do something, anything, to aid themselves?
:sheep: :hand5:

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
sounds like he has a victims mentality. it can't happen to ME.

·
Registered
230 Posts
rocky said:
sounds like he has a victims mentality. it can't happen to ME.
It's called denial.

I also remember reading an article by a psychiatrist that discussed how a lot of people fear guns and this leads to the type of response your friend has (I will post a link if I can find it). He won’t admit his fear and so he rationalizes and gives other reasons why owning a gun is unnecessary.

Several years ago when I first thought about buying/carrying a gun one of my friends with many years of shooting experience said to me “there is a difference between having a fear of guns and having a respect for guns.” Many don’t realize the difference. I suspect your friend may be one of them. :confused:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
and if he got one, he'd be more susceptible to being victimized. Yep.
Hahaha - just like my old UK buddy when we discussed my CCW - ''You are just asking for trouble" - yeah, right!!! :rolleyes: :18:

Euc - folks like this one you mention are all but a dead waste of time and effort - and as acparmed said - the ones who'll come hollerin' if there is trouble! Most I might suggest is whether they might enjoy some cheese with their whine!!

''No-hopers'' is one label - sheep is another - and I nowadays am content to mostly just leave 'em be - enjoy their own lil' world. Just now and again we might break thru their veneer - and actually by taking them to shoot, inspire something more useful.

That guy's ''sometime'' will all but guaranteed be never!

·
Registered
563 Posts
It’s like he has been affected by Hollywood where everything always turns out in your favor no matter how bad things are stacked against you. Kinda like McGyver. Who needs a gun, when it always “works out” by the end of the show, or movie?

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
Euc, were you building a AR? If so hand it to your friend and tell him to load a mag/ show you how it works. then give him a pistol and do the same. (Unloaded of course). Most (untrained) folks I bet would be befuddled with the charge handle, bolt release on the AR.

·
Registered
15 Posts
When we were haveing the really bad drug troubles we went out and chased them off finally. One guy and his wife use to go out with us. One night she asked him or said to him we might look into getting a gun. I thought he was going to have a seizure. No way will I have a gun in the house.

Well I found it odd that he was always happy to see us show up with our weapons all the time.

·
Registered
521 Posts
along the same lines are people (2 of my shooting buddies actually) that will get there ccw permits "eventually".
they know i carry 16/7 & my response (and i'm sure they are tired of hearing it) is "are ya waiting for something bad to happen?"
there wives shoot ocassionally, will stop back and shoot a few clips and they're done, but at least they could, in theory, pick that gun up and use it in an emergency.
i don't consider any of them (wives included) blissninnies, just a lil too complacent for my understanding.
i try not to harp at them as they agree with me...maybe just don't agree enough (if that makes sense).

·
Super Moderator
4,964 Posts
Euclidean said:
I am paraphrasing a brief conversation here I had with a friend who's not particularly for or against self defense. So while he doesn't think I am insane, he does ridicule me for my interests in awareness, true crime, combat shooting, survivalism, etc.
What we have here is a communications breakdown. Fortunately, I am here to offer my translation services.

What he actually meant was "I'll just pick one [a rifle] up and manage to hurt myself with it."

:biggrin2:

Matt

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MattLarson said:
What we have here is a communications breakdown. Fortunately, I am here to offer my translation services.

What he actually meant was "I'll just pick one [a rifle] up and manage to hurt myself with it."

:biggrin2:

Matt
Ha! Actually if he can't even get a round in the chamber, I think he'll be okay.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Euclidean said:
Ha! Actually if he can't even get a round in the chamber, I think he'll be okay.
No, but he probably would let his shirt tail lay on top of the mag, Slap in real hard Hollywood style, and then trip over it when he can't figure out how to release the mag and his shirt.:embarassed:

Hey, it could happen.

And I'd pay good money to see it too.:image035:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts