Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
143,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Some seller is selling this barrel on Ebay.
His description sez he LIGHTLY HONED this (above) barrel in order to make a Snake Shot barrel.

But...his picture shows the barrel Lands & Grooves completely removed.

I thought that it was ATF illegal to alter a pistol barrel & remove the rifling.
So as soon as somebody buys that barrel & installs it in a pistol...they are in violation of Federal Law.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Well i aint shure about illegal, but personaly i wouldnt buy it for my ipsc build lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
Somebody enlighten me here. What is the purpose of removing the rifling?

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Somebody enlighten me here. What is the purpose of removing the rifling?
Its so it will throw a more consistant pattern with " snakeshot " rounds , the issue is that said rounds wont reliably cycle an auto anyway unless you set it up to exclusivly shoot them , and then it wont handle anything else .

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Maybe he was making a muzzle loading barrel for his 1911
if so i really dont wanna know where this tool puts the cap lol

·
Administrator
143,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I remember reading that it was a big no-no to install a smooth bore barrel on a handgun or to alter a handgun barrel to remove rifling.

I'm not positive on that though.

I'm guessing because a BG could use that barrel to fire a regular cartridge to do a dirty deed & there would be no way to forensically tie or link the bullet back to any specific handgun.

That seller or buyer are going to get into heap plenty big trouble if any ATF agent spots that auction and/or somebody reports it.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
QK iirc your half right , it is problematic to build a shotgun under 18 barrell or 26 overall , ( it must meet both critiria ) and the smallest accepted unrifled production shotgun is .41 to .45 cal ( 410 ) howeaver ( there allways is with guns ya know ) since this barrell was not manufactured to be a shotgun , only modified ( ineptly ) to shoot shotshells thro a pistol , it wont convert a pistol into an illegal shotgun . just my recollection tho and consult an attorney before bidding .

·
Super Moderator
23,958 Posts
IIRC, I think the lack of rifling puts it in the realm of a "smoothbore", the barrel of which cannot be under 18". The barrels on the derringers (e.g. Bond Arms) which accept 410 GA shotgun shells (e.g. Bond Arms)(and 45ACP also) have rifling.

Edited to add: Just read yours, RR - believe you got it.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
I think the lack of rifling puts it in the realm of a "smoothbore", the barrel of which cannot be under 18". The barrels on the derringers (e.g. Bond Arms) which accept 410 GA shotgun shells (e.g. Bond Arms)(and 45ACP also) have rifling.
And your absolutly right , howeaver the examples you cite are manufactured , which if smothbore would require a spendy ticket .. this is not manufactored that way it was made as a .45 barrell with rifleing , that has been worn off so its an innacurate .45 barrell , as i said talk to an attorney before bidding lol

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Kansas , frankly the wall thickness of the barrell wouldnt concern me as much as the lack of rifleing , a .45 dont gen a lot of pressure

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Remember, you saw this on Ebay....
Therefore, it must be a large bore "airsoft" bbl.... LOL

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Just looks shot out to me; there is just a hint of rifling in the barrel.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts