Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An amendment prohibiting any transfer of "any firearm, firearm ammunition, stun gun, or taser to any person within this State unless the transferee with whom he deals displays a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card" was attached to HB1189 May 31. The parent bill amends the sex offender registration act.

Proposed Illinois Gun Law HB1189 - American Gun Owners Alliance

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
That's shameful. The Bill looks pretty lame to begin with (e.g., What if those sex offenders don't want to pay the annual fee? This has no teeth.) But, people hate sex offenders much more than they are afraid of firearms so many clueless people will likely support it because of the title of the bill. I'm surprised they didn't attach a pay increase for themselves as well. How pathetic.

·
Premium Member
8,385 Posts
I'm not sure I understand this add-on. Is the $35 fee taken from a gun registration fee or purchase fee? Is it something the sex offender has to pay? (good luck with that, as cn262 points out). Who pays the fee and what does it have to do with gun laws?

Slightly OT: I started reading the scrolling gun bills at the top left of the page and started to nod off because there are SO many of them.
I don't know how they can think up that many new regulations. Hopefully they all die out before they come up for a vote.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm not sure I understand this add-on. Is the $35 fee taken from a gun registration fee or purchase fee? Is it something the sex offender has to pay? (good luck with that, as cn262 points out). Who pays the fee and what does it have to do with gun laws?

Slightly OT: I started reading the scrolling gun bills at the top left of the page and started to nod off because there are SO many of them.
I don't know how they can think up that many new regulations. Hopefully they all die out before they come up for a vote.
It is all legislation being done by these liberal think tanks so they have legislation ready to go when the next mass killing occurs or some other event that shapes the people fancy with regard to civil liberties. We have to hit back as heard as they are with Pro-2A legislation ready to go and then Vote on them, because we don't need to respond to "feel good" legislation, we prefer to uphold "constitutional" legislation that advances those freedoms, not restricts them.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I think part of this is planning for the next election and low info voters. Any legislator who votes against this will be portrayed as soft on pedophiles.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Not only must the seller have a buyer display his FOID card, the seller or must also verify the buyer's status.

Provides that the Act may be referred to as the Gun Safety and Responsibility Act. Replaces everything after the enacting clause. Amends the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Provides that a private party who sells or transfers a firearm must use the State Police's dial-up system to verify that the buyer or transferee is the holder of a valid Firearm Owners Identification ("FOID") card before making the transfer.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you can't get a bill to pass on its own merits then you attach to a bill that will pass to the consternation and detriment of the people. Legislators at all levels need to stop doing this, so I recommend that people start a petition to add an amendment to their state constitutions that forces legislators on the local level to make a bill being only about one subject. Once those are passed then get the state legislators to pass a federal Constitutional Amendment that does the same thing for the Congress of the United States.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts