Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Banned
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a long battle, and there's surely more to come, but today is a victory by any definition and it is time to celebrate. Congrats to all who call Illinois home from a former resident who spent 9 of the best years of my life there.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
It will be interesting what kind of law they squeeze out at the 11th hour. I hope afterwords the good people of Illinois can finally claim victory but I fear the process of actually getting a permit will be akin to legally purchasing a handgun in DC.

·
Registered
588 Posts
It will be interesting what kind of law they squeeze out at the 11th hour. I hope afterwords the good people of Illinois can finally claim victory but I fear the process of actually getting a permit will be akin to legally purchasing a handgun in DC.
Or like New Jersey or even Hawaii. Basically, no one gets carry permits in those states. Yeah, sure...they have a system to APPLY, but you're more likely to win the Powerball...twice... than be granted a LTC/CCW.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I sincerely hope for the good people of Illinois that CC becomes an obtainable reality, and not polluted by legalism and political manuevering. I tip my hat to all those who were in engaged in this fight for carry rights.

Reactions: Aceoky

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
Has the governors rewrite of the bill been over ridden?

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Or like New Jersey or even Hawaii. Basically, no one gets carry permits in those states. Yeah, sure...they have a system to APPLY, but you're more likely to win the Powerball...twice... than be granted a LTC/CCW.
I almost hope Illinois goes this route. Then, it'll almost certainly come under intense fire and scrutiny for refusing and failing to follow the spirit and intent of the ordered carry statutes. To "carry" means just that. And if essentially nobody gets to, that ain't "carrying," not by a long shot. Hopefully they'll foul it up so badly, in this way, that the whole concept of might-never-issue gets shot to Hades, in SCOTUS. That'd be nice.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I almost hope Illinois goes this route. Then, it'll almost certainly come under intense fire and scrutiny for refusing and failing to follow the spirit and intent of the ordered carry statutes. To "carry" means just that. And if essentially nobody gets to, that ain't "carrying," not by a long shot. Hopefully they'll foul it up so badly, in this way, that the whole concept of might-never-issue gets shot to Hades, in SCOTUS. That'd be nice.
The only problem with this is that you're assuming SCOTUS would make the correct decision. I wouldn't count on the odds of that happening.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
The only problem with this is that you're assuming SCOTUS would make the correct decision. I wouldn't count on the odds of that happening.
No assumptions, here. Certainly it's a risk. But then, any of these cases that SAF/GOA/NRA take on is a risk.

But at some point, we're going to have to decide as a People whether we're going to tolerate unconstitutional rulings, or getting back to basics. And just as the "incrementalism" approach has worked well for the liberty-haters, it can work well for those who uphold constitutionality and liberty. Just needs to be done the right way, with proofs that cannot be ignored even by the most leftist, activist hounds on the court.

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
It's a darned good start.

·
Registered
938 Posts
And reciprocity with other states?

·
Registered
892 Posts
And reciprocity with other states?
If the bill originally passed by both houses is the final bill there is no reciprocity. Out of staters will have to purchase an IL license for $300/5 years. I know, bogus.

·
Banned
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's a darned good start.
Yes, it is. For we non-residents, it'll be expensive if we want to carry in Illinois but at least we will have the option. In the bill that will become law today, a non-resident permit will cost $300 and is good for 5 years. Illinois will not honor the permit of any other state and they will require 16 hours of training to get their permit. What they have listed as acceptable "training" is very strict; what is available today in most states will not qualify. The bill will not allow any sort of "home rule", so a valid permit will be as good on Michigan Ave. in downtown Chicago as it will be in Quincy.

All of this will be codified as of today but, realistically, it will be the summer of 2014 before the first permit is issued. The Illinois State Police and others have already stated that it will be a minimum of 6-8 months before the procedures are in place. Many counties in downstate Illinois have already declared carry legal, as of today, and will not arrest anyone who is carrying per the terms of the bill that was passed, even though they don't yet have a permit.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
If the bill originally passed by both houses is the final bill there is no reciprocity. Out of staters will have to purchase an IL license for $300/5 years. I know, bogus.
Nicely, though, a number of states fully recognize all other issued CHL's. So, Illinois citizens who travel elsewhere won't be completely screwed.

·
Registered
938 Posts
We need to start a pool in regards to WHEN the first law abiding IL citizen actually has a CC permit in hand, and can legally carry their gun on the streets in Illinois.

My guess is early 2014

Reactions: BRachum

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
We need to start a pool in regards to WHEN the first law abiding IL citizen actually has a CC permit in hand, and can legally carry their gun on the streets in Illinois.

My guess is early 2014
I'd say late 2014 if not 2015.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Yes, it is. For we non-residents, it'll be expensive if we want to carry in Illinois but at least we will have the option. In the bill that will become law today, a non-resident permit will cost $300 and is good for 5 years. Illinois will not honor the permit of any other state and they will require 16 hours of training to get their permit. What they have listed as acceptable "training" is very strict; what is available today in most states will not qualify. The bill will not allow any sort of "home rule", so a valid permit will be as good on Michigan Ave. in downtown Chicago as it will be in Quincy.

All of this will be codified as of today but, realistically, it will be the summer of 2014 before the first permit is issued. The Illinois State Police and others have already stated that it will be a minimum of 6-8 months before the procedures are in place. Many counties in downstate Illinois have already declared carry legal, as of today, and will not arrest anyone who is carrying per the terms of the bill that was passed, even though they don't yet have a permit.
If I remember correctly CC was not going to be allowed on any public transportation. I don't know what car ownership is like in Chicago but I bet this little restriction will eliminate alot of legal concealed carry in Chicago. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Banned
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If I remember correctly CC was not going to be allowed on any public transportation. I don't know what car ownership is like in Chicago but I bet this little restriction will eliminate alot of legal concealed carry in Chicago. Correct me if I'm wrong.
You're correct. When I lived in Chicago, I took a train from Naperville to downtown and then a L from my office to our Op Center. Under the new bill, I would not be able to do any of that while carrying. There's a lot not to like but it is a huge step forward.

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
I read just a little while ago that the Illinois state legislature just over rode and rejected the governor's amendment veto and now it is up to the Illinois Senate. They are expected to override him as well. It is still going to be awhile before the first permit gets issued, but at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel, even if it's just a little speck at this time. A lot brighter than it was a year ago! Gee, in 4 or 5 years I may be able to go visit one of my daughters and a couple of grandkids who live in the peoples republic of "ill"inois. :smile:

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
This is a great start for you free people in the land of Lincoln!

1 - 20 of 87 Posts