Defensive Carry banner

I'm a Dummy

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Arborigine 
#1 ·
I went to the outdoor range today. No one was there, so I set up multiple targets at 7 - 15 yards and ran some drills with my G17. Great day. I was cleaning up and I had noticed one of my carry rounds was looking a little beat up from being the top round in the mag. So I set up a pie plate at 50 yards and let her rip. Good news is that I hit the plate. Bad news is that I left my hearing protection resting on my hat! That sucked.

It rang my ears a little, but I felt this strange pressure in my head and was a bit dizzy. It was only a 9mm GD +p and I was outside. I've let 30-06 rounds go during hunting season with no hearing protection and barely remember hearing the round. Must have been from the excitement of the hunt.

I had recently had a few dizzy spells and the ENT Dr thinks I may have had an ear infection. I can't think of why else I would react that way to a single 9mm shot outside.

I have been shooting for 18 years and this is the first time I made that mistake. AND THE LAST

#3 ·
It actually makes sense. You may have a threshold shift and some hyperacousis, which, if you already have sensitive ears, can mess you up.

I was a bit "off" after a .357 discharge without hearing protection. (I've learned way too much about the human ear in the last several months).

Be glad your ears stopped ringing! (If they are still ringing, see your doc immediately, a round of prednisone has been shown to slightly reduce tinnitus if taken quickly after the acoustic trauma).

#4 ·
Didn't know about the prednisone. Cool. The ringing didn't last long, but I had the pressure for about two hours or so. When my dog makes a high pitch bark, I still have some very minor sensitivity. As far as tinnitus, I think I may have had it for years. I only notice it when there is complete silence and I'm not really ready for sleeping yet. It's a slight high pitched hum. Otherwise, I don't really notice it.

#5 ·
Yep, the high freq, high intensity sounds after my shoot were painful. It got a lot better after about a month, and the fullness in my ears abated as well. But I still need some ear plugs for really loud movies when I go to the theater.

Unfortunately there's not a lot a doc can do for acoustic trauma....

EDIT: By the way , the prednisone won't help permanent T, it's just been shown to help reduce or prevent T that might be permanent if taken immediately after the trauma.

#8 ·
I have used Howard Leight earplugs on the job for the last 20 years, and use them at the range. My shooting buddy tells me the Electronic Earmuffs are worth the expense. I don't want to spend a fortune on these, but saw a pair for under $50.00 at Costco. Any advise on hearing protection.

#15 ·
I can certainly understand not breaking the bank...OK, in this case I cant understand it, lol. Your guns cost a fair amount of money. The ammo costs fair amounts of money, you name it, it costs.

Hearing: PRICELESS. Get a good set of Peltors. You dont need the ultra expensive com tac ones, just ones with amplication. Link below.

Btw, seriously consider doing this; Wearing ear plugs, under the Peltor Ear Muffs. You can turn the volume up to hear range commands, but its double protection from shots.

Peltor Hearing Protection Free SHIPPING - Peltor Earplugs, Peltor Headsets, Peltor Earmuffs & More!

#10 ·
This is all good advise. Like I said, I think it had more to do with the inner ear infection as to why the reaction was so severe. I've been exposed to larger calibers in the past while hunting and dispatching injured or sick animals at work(LEO), with no issues. I'll be keeping my Howard Leights next to my gun vault and in my duty bag at work. I know I won't always have time to don them at work, it would be more for dispatching animals which is the more frequent occurrence.

#11 ·
You weren't a dummy, you just made an honest mistake. A dummy is someone that doesn't care about their hearing and refuse to use protection because they think they're tough shooting a gun w/out protection.

I think I have tinnitus as well. I've noticed the same ringing when everything is dead silent and I'm about to fall asleep.

Occasionally I think about people that have had to use their gun in SD and their lack of hearing protection thereof. In that moment, you know you aren't going to have time to dig into your pocket and insert ear plugs before you get a round off. I wonder if anyone has ever suffered severe hearing loss from using their gun (w/out hearing protection) in a SD situation? Sure, you'd be grateful you survived and alive but it would still wreak if you suffered hearing loss for your effort. Can you imagine if the perp survived and sued you b/c he experienced hearing loss after you shot him? It wouldn't surprise me if it has happened before, etc.

#14 ·
Occasionally I think about people that have had to use their gun in SD and their lack of hearing protection thereof. In that moment, you know you aren't going to have time to dig into your pocket and insert ear plugs before you get a round off. I wonder if anyone has ever suffered severe hearing loss from using their gun (w/out hearing protection) in a SD situation?
Probably all depends on the gun, the environment (confined space vs outside), and whatever other factors. I can't even count the thousands of 5.56 and 7.62 rounds being fired that I've been around, next to, and behind the gun of without ear protection on. Like you said, there just isn't time in some cases. On a range there just isn't any excuse....but it isn't a life or death mistake. OP made an honest mistake and I'm sure (or at least hope) there wasn't any long term damage done. I've made the same mistake on a range after knowing better and I'm sure just about everyone else has too.

#13 ·
Shooting 3-4 boxes of shells during an all day dove shoot without earpro. 500+

Hunting pigs with a .223 and .308 without earpro. 150-250 rounds total.

Duck hunting high brass steel without earpro. 100-150 rounds.

Shooting a .270or.300 weatherby mag without earpro. 10-20 rounds.

I have nonstop tinnitus.
I now use electronic muffs.
I'm only in my 20s and I will never hear properly again. Earpro is your friend.

#16 ·
While you may consider it a mistake, maybe take a lesson from it. In a SD/HD scenario, hearing protection may well be a luxury. I mean, really, are you gong to tell the BG to hold up while you drop some muffs on? No, not happening. Knowing how you react NOW to an unprotected shot may just save your life if you are ever confronted by a BG and one of you are forced to fire.

I am not saying purposefully practice without muffs. I am just saying take the lemons of the mistake and make lemonade. Knowing just exactly how loud your weapon is may well be important info to have in a near panic situation.

#17 ·
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. I would love to hear nothing when i go to bed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.