Defensive Carry banner

I'm getting a Kahr PM9

2K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  '75scout 
#1 ·
The groomsmen and ushers in my wedding just told me they are getting me a Kahr PM9 as a gift. This might be the best gift I've ever been given. My brother-in-law said they might even have it in by this weekend and we are going shooting for my bachelor party (sober). I'm very excited and it feels good to know that I have such great friends.

I do have one question though. Can anyone tell me how to field strip it. I know you have to line up the two notches on the side, but what else and in what order. No one that sells Kahrs knows how to field strip them.

#6 ·
Congrats on the upcoming marriage and the new pistola.
It's probably good though if your groomsmen don't give you any ammo. When you wake up the next morning and realize what you've done common sense, rationale and possibly your will to live will be out the window for a few moments. :tongue:

Just kidding of course. I've been down the isle more than once and I'm still breathing. (barely)

#12 ·
The slide stop on the little kahrs can be a bear to get to come out , personaly i use the corner of the mag on the little slot milled in the underneith of it ( seems to be there for that reason lol ) to pop the slide stop out to where it will swivle , then pull it out as you would a 1911 ) it gets easyer the more you clean it lol

#13 ·
Congratulations.... on both things.

I carry a Kahr PM9 Covert (short PM9 frame, standard P9 barrel/slide) as my "always gun". It replaced my beloved S&W J-frame Airweights in that role after shooting it a while. I found that I shot it a LOT better than any snubby I've had (S&W of several varieties, and a couple of Colt Cobras), so it went in the pocket- after shooting it enough to trust it.

I had an MK9 (short frame, short barrel/slide) a few years ago, and it was so-so. I had the occasional failure of the slide to fully close. I understand Kahr was made aware of that happening some, and has corrected that potential problem, but I don't know for sure. Anyway, that's why I wanted one with the standard length slide/barrel.

Although I didn't trust it, I was happy enough with how that first one shot, handled, and carried to give them another try.
I'm glad I did.
It's worked just fine, and I really enjoy shooting it.

I hope you're just as happy as I am- again, on both counts!

#14 ·
Hi '75scout,

As a former owner of a PM9094A, I can tell you it is not real easy at first to field strip the gun. The gun is very stiff until you break it in (about 200 rounds), but basically you do the following:

1. Remove the magazine and visually check the chamber to make sure it is empty.
2. Hold the gun in your weak hand with your thumb through the trigger guard and the slide release facing you.
3. Using your index finger, push the slide back about 1/2 inch until the two marks on the slide and frame align. It's real important to keep the marks aligned, or the slide release pin will not move.
4. Holding the slide at that point, use a non-marring tool to push the pin of the slide release lever out of the pistol. I've also found that holding the gun and pressing the pin against a non-marring hard surface will also get the pin to start moving out of the pistol. You can then pry the pin out the rest of the way with your fingers, as the slide will stay put.
5. Once the pin is out, ease the slide forward until it stops.
6. Pull the trigger to release the striker and then let go of the trigger and push the slide forward off the frame.

Re-assembly also requires you to align the two marks and then work the pin back through the frame of the pistol. You have to have the slide and frame aligned so that you can see through the hole where the pin will be inserted. It gets easier with practice. The first couple of times, I broke into a heavy sweat and used up my lexicon of curse words.

Ben

#15 · (Edited)
Thanks Ben. I realized field stripping the Kahrs wasn't a piece of cake when nobody that sells them knows how too.

Do I need to clean it before my first range session? I didn't need to when I purchased my GLOCK but I'm not sure about the Kahr. If so what would the initial cleaning include? Frame rails, extractor, feedramp, ect? Pretty much everwhere I'd normally clean and oil it. Also do I oil it like a GLOCK, because they seem to be fairly similar in operation.

#16 ·
Son, you are already making mistakes:

1. NEVER GET MARRIED !!! It totally changes the dynamics of the relationship. Once they get a ring on thier finger, they turn into a different creature and the demands start comming forth and weapons of mass destruction start going bye-bye. You'll see, mark my words.

2. Although the price is right. I would sell the kahr and get a taurus pt-111. Almost the same size, holds twice as many rounds, and makes an excellent conceal weapon. (Just don't let your friends know about the swap)

Anyways, good luck with your decisions!! ;)

#17 · (Edited)
The Kahr PM9 is a fine CCW handgun and it is quite accurate for it's size. I feel it is well made and reliable after the initial break in period.

Yes, any new gun needs to be cleaned and lubed prior to it's first trip to the range. I use Tetra Products and have found them quite good.

Below see attachment with lube points.

#18 ·
RCS2 thanks that was exactly what I needed to see.

Kansas shooter I think I'll be fine. She is already aware of my addiction to guns. She is also fully aware that none of my guns are going anywhere unless I say so and more will be added (so long as funds are available). She'll have her spending money and I'll have mine.

That being said, she's been in control of me for about the past 5 1/2 years. At least this way I get bossed around and laid instead of just bossed around. Oh yeah she knows about that addiction also.

And I chose the Kahr PM9 for a pocket gun. If I thought the Taurus would work for pocket carry I'd just use my GLOCK 26 and get a GLOCK 17 for primary. But double stacks won't work for my purpose. And I'm not a huge fan of Taurus autos. Not that they are bad, it's just there are too many others I like more. Mostly GLOCK, SIG, Kahr, and Kimber.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.