Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
9,690 Posts
I used to put a bit of NuFinish in but I quit to see if that was causing the problem. It still happens???

I use walnut lizard bedding.

It would be really odd if I'm the only one this has happened to. I can't help but wonder how many have this problem and don't know it.

It is possible that many are like I was, I had no idea I had media residue in my cases until I started cleaning the inside with a rotating brush.
I’m not sure if it was nu finish or something else that I put in my media and had problems with the media clumping up inside. I’ll have to look when I’m home. But with just plain ole media, Something like this, I’ve had no issues. The inside of the brass doesn’t get clean like it does from wet tumbling, but that doesn’t bother me. The only issue dry tumbling media gives me is if for some reason I tumble deprimed brass, it gets stuck in the flash hole.

·
Registered
42,330 Posts
I’m not sure if it was nu finish or something else that I put in my media and had problems with the media clumping up inside. I’ll have to look when I’m home. But with just plain ole media, Something like this, I’ve had no issues. The inside of the brass doesn’t get clean like it does from wet tumbling, but that doesn’t bother me. The only issue dry tumbling media gives me is if for some reason I tumble deprimed brass, it gets stuck in the flash hole.
What are you using? The lizard bedding I got from Petsmart is too fine to clog the flash holes. Corn cob media is a whole nuther story. I stopped using it for that reason. As far as the Nufinish, anything more than 2-3 drops is too much in my little Thumblers Tumbler-size container.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Only cleaning I do is for 9mm and that's only for heavy carboned cases.I throw them into a milk jug and when there's enough I douse them with vinegar swish it around for a minute flood the jug with water dump it out and spread the clean cases out in the sun and let them dry.I see tumbling brass a waste of my time. The ammo works just fine.

·
Registered
9,690 Posts
What are you using? The lizard bedding I got from Petsmart is too fine to clog the flash holes. Corn cob media is a whole nuther story. I stopped using it for that reason. As far as the Nufinish, anything more than 2-3 drops is too much in my little Thumblers Tumbler-size container.
As far as I can tell what’s in the link is the same as what I have. It’s not really enough of an issue for me to worry about though. I just knock it out and keep going. May have to look into the lizard bedding just to try something new.

·
Registered
42,330 Posts
As far as I can tell what’s in the link is the same as what I have. It’s not really enough of an issue for me to worry about though. I just knock it out and keep going. May have to look into the lizard bedding just to try something new.
It may be a courser grind than the pet store mix.

Reactions: Havok

·
Registered
525 Posts
I just use corncob media for 24 hours. No work involved. I only have to invest a minute throwing them in, and a minute spinning the media out after. They come out with a mirror finish and I'm done.

·
Super Moderator
13,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I just use corncob media for 24 hours. No work involved. I only have to invest a minute throwing them in, and a minute spinning the media out after. They come out with a mirror finish and I'm done.
How do you know all the media is out of the cases?

Apparently that doesn't work so well with small rifle cases.

·
Registered
42,330 Posts

I'll have to do a more thorough brushing next time to see if I am missing the obvious. I don't think so, but . . .

If I am, I owe you.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
What? Nobody's saying it? I can't believe nobody's saying it, because, you know, it's definitely at the back of everyone's mind, even die-hard reloaders. Even if they'll never do it, you know they're thinking it, because we're all human and it's basic human nature, if not animal nature, to minimize excess expenditure of energy. One might even say it's part of our survival, and if one said that, they'd be right, as it is.

Well, someone has to be brave...

Why not buy new/recycled brass?

I know brass isn't cheap, but are there no organizations out there that will melt and re-cast brass casings? How much money would that save?

Or is that where most new brass comes from, anyway?

Back to ultrasonics: Good post. Copy all.

Reactions: Workaholic

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
What? Nobody's saying it? I can't believe nobody's saying it, because, you know, it's definitely at the back of everyone's mind, even die-hard reloaders. Even if they'll never do it, you know they're thinking it, because we're all human and it's basic human nature, if not animal nature, to minimize excess expenditure of energy. One might even say it's part of our survival, and if one said that, they'd be right, as it is.

I know brass isn't cheap, but are there no organizations out there that will melt and re-cast brass casings? How much money would that save?

How about a different approach? I don't tumble my cases at all. It's all once fired brass in my case. I find that running it through a carbide resizing die tends to clean the outside just fine. Of course I'm reloading mainly straight or taper walled pistol cases. I've reloaded once fired 300BLk brass without cleaning it and have had no problems. But maybe I'm lucky because what ever powder that has been used in the factory stuff has been fairly clean burning.

·
Super Moderator
13,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I never had any trouble with NuFinish with my brass.
Can't say I have either. I stopped using it because it was worth trying, but not using it didn't help.

I don't know why this is happening. I keep thinking moisture is to blame, but if it is moisture, I can't figure out where it's coming from.

Hmmm, my tumbler is water tight, so moisture can't get in it, well, except when I load the cases. OTOH, the tumbler is not sealed and moisture from the air could be getting in the media. Maybe I should try equal cases in each with new media and see if there's a difference in the amount of media that sticks in the cases.

·
Super Moderator
13,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
How about a different approach? I don't tumble my cases at all. It's all once fired brass in my case. I find that running it through a carbide resizing die tends to clean the outside just fine. Of course I'm reloading mainly straight or taper walled pistol cases. I've reloaded once fired 300BLk brass without cleaning it and have had no problems. But maybe I'm lucky because what ever powder that has been used in the factory stuff has been fairly clean burning.
I think the two main reasons given for cleaning cases is to prevent wear on the dies and it makes the cases shine. But it seems to me, one would have to do an awful lot of reloading before dies start to show signs of wear.

But, not cleaning could cause damage to the cases. When grit, etc. are sandwiched between steel and brass, something has to give.

However, I think a good reason to clean with either pins or US is not for the outside of the case, but for the inside. Seems like there would be residue accumulation each time the case is fired. Accumulating residue would decrease the internal volume of the case and hence increase the pressure for a given charge. Although, I have NEVER seen anything, i.e. studies or tests, to confirm or deny this.

Right now, I'm on my tenth firing of my Hornady 223 cases, and they appear to be good to go for a while longer. I have no idea if cleaning prolonged their life or changed their internal volume.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I think the two main reasons given for cleaning cases is to prevent wear on the dies and it makes the cases shine. But it seems to me, one would have to do an awful lot of reloading before dies start to show signs of wear.

But, not cleaning could cause damage to the cases. When grit, etc. are sandwiched between steel and brass, something has to give.

However, I think a good reason to clean with either pins or US is not for the outside of the case, but for the inside. Seems like there would be residue accumulation each time the case is fired. Accumulating residue would decrease the internal volume of the case and hence increase the pressure for a given charge. Although, I have NEVER seen anything, i.e. studies or tests, to confirm or deny this.

Right now, I'm on my tenth firing of my Hornady 223 cases, and they appear to be good to go for a while longer. I have not idea if cleaning them prolonged their life or changed their internal volume.
That's why I specified that I generally only reload once fired brass. And of course I make sure that they aren't caked in grit, I only reload what I shoot and pick up that session.
If I were to get more extensive into it, I would certainly pickup some sort of case cleaner, and thanks to your posts, it will probably be an ultrasound.

·
Registered
525 Posts

Works fine for all calibers. If corncob is sticking in the cases then I used too much polish.

I reload all cases, once fired, 5X fired, random range pickups, I don't care. Only on my extreme precision 6.5 creedmoor loads do I pay attention to matching head stamps.
My life is stressful enough, reloading is an escape. Everything is streamlined to make it a fast and relaxing experience rather than adding stress and time by trying to run a full background check on every piece of brass.

Most of my reloads are match ammo (9mm, .45, 5.56) and relics of the past. Lot more fun to spend the morning shooting 7.7 Jap reloads for 30 cents whenever I feel like it over than $3 rounds when I can find them in stock once every 3 years.

·
Registered
525 Posts
But it seems to me, one would have to do an awful lot of reloading before dies start to show signs of wear.
My brass comes home along with quite a lot of sand from where I shoot. I think I could destroy my dies in no time without proper cleaning.
I have no plans to ever test that assumption.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
I just like nice clean brass, probably for the same reason I like a nice clean truck! I doubt it makes it shoot better, But I would not shot a dirty rifle, why would I shoot dirty ammo? DR

·
Registered
940 Posts

Virtually all of my brass at the moment is once fired, and I know for one of the pistol calibers, it's mixed head stamp. There's a guy here that has a deal with all the local ranges. He gets all the brass left on the floor at the ranges. Then he processes it all. Uses a cement mixer for a tumbler. Not sure of all the places he sells it, but thanks to his work, and the local hobby shop which sells it, I have brass for most of my handgun rounds. Not so much for the rifle rounds yet, however.

Been on the fence about a cleaner, knowing I eventually need one, but not knowing which way to go. Thanks to this thread, I'll be looking at US for it, when the time comes. Since all my brass processing is done in the house, and I don't care about shiny brass, this looks to be the best option for me. That way I don't have to deal with the potential dust.

·
Super Moderator
13,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
My brass comes home along with quite a lot of sand from where I shoot. I think I could destroy my dies in no time without proper cleaning.
I have no plans to ever test that assumption.
I was under the impression those that don't clean per se, do wipe the dirt/grit off the brass before sizing. That's 10 minutes of media-less "cleaning" instead of 4-5 hours of a cleaning with a tumbler or US and all the cleanup hassle.

As I searched the "cleaning before sizing" topic, I discovered there are quite a few reloaders that wipe and size. I have never heard of anyone wearing out a sizing die. Of course that doesn't mean it hasn't happened, I just haven't heard of it.

·
Super Moderator
13,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Works fine for all calibers. If corncob is sticking in the cases then I used too much polish.
There must be other reasons why dry media sticks to the insides of cases. I see lots of media come out of the cases with the nylon brush whether I use polish or not.

...adding stress and time by trying to run a full background check on every piece of brass.
I understand, but this is specifically about media sticking in cases, not headstamps, etc.

So what I'm trying to figure out is why am I the only one seeing this, OR is it actually happening to others and they just don't know it - like I didn't know I was having the problem for a long time.

And, this is about 223 cases only - that's all I reload and that's what I'm seeing the problem with.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts