Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I did a quick search using "dry media sticking in cases" and came up with 7 references on 7 different boards describing this problem, so it's not just me. I didn't read all of them, but the ones I did read described the same thing I'm seeing.

·
Super Moderator
13,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
...Been on the fence about a cleaner, knowing I eventually need one, but not knowing which way to go. Thanks to this thread, I'll be looking at US for it, when the time comes. Since all my brass processing is done in the house, and I don't care about shiny brass, this looks to be the best option for me. That way I don't have to deal with the potential dust.
The nice thing about US is it eliminates ALL individual case handling and media-case separation. OTOH, for small calibers, i.e. 223, 22-250, etc. dry media or pins, require each individual case to be emptied of media. Pistol cases and larger calibers may be different.

Another nice thing about US is it is clean - no dust in the air, no media on the floor, no media has to be stored, refreshed, etc.

But to really minimize cleaning time with US, if that's important, and often it isn't, you really need some kind of case drier. Otherwise you just let the cases dry for a long time.

·
Super Moderator
13,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
...Why not buy new/recycled brass?
You lost me??? Where do you think we get our brass?

I buy new brass. I bought 300 new Hornady cases and they have now been cleaned and reloaded 10 times! And they're good for more reloads. I also bought 300 Lapua cases, they've been cleaned and reloaded 3 times now, but they're only for bolt guns.

My other source is recycling factory ammo cases. For example, I've shot 50 rounds of Hornady 223 55 gr SP and they come in Hornady cases, so I saved them and am currently using them as once fired for testing a rifle/load.

I have thousands of IMI brass from original ammo by IMI. Hence it's all once fired and has to be cleaned before sizing for reloading - if one believes in cleaning brass before sizing.

·
Super Moderator
13,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
Not trying to sell anyone on US cleaning, but I posted this thread hoping to identify what I might be doing, or not doing, that would cause dry media to stick stubbornly in small caliber rifle cases.

Then, after a second set of testing with the Odin Works barrel and getting unexpected pressure signs, I decided I'd better see if the pressure was due to the cases I was using. To test that I would use 15 cases from the Hornady's I've been using for testing, but I don't have any clean!

So I put 18 cases in my US cleaner at 7:00 this morning and by 7:30 AM they'll be done. I'll rinse them and then tumble them in my homemade tumbler and they'll be ready for drying. The rinse and tumble process takes about 5 minutes. The nice thing is, it doesn't matter if it's 18 or 150 cases; because the cases don't have to be individually handled the required time changes very little.

Drying will take about 40 minutes so in about 75 minutes I'll have clean, dry cases and can be absolutely certain no media, be it pins or dry media will be in any case.

After cleaning and rinsing,

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Not trying to sell anyone on US cleaning, but I posted this thread hoping to identify what I might be doing, or not doing, that would cause dry media to stick stubbornly in small caliber rifle cases.

Then, after a second set of testing with the Odin Works barrel and getting unexpected pressure signs, I decided I'd better see if the pressure was due to the cases I was using. To test that I would use 15 cases from the Hornady's I've been using for testing, but I don't have any clean!

So I put 18 cases in my US cleaner at 7:00 this morning and by 7:30 AM they'll be done. I'll rinse them and then tumble them in my homemade tumbler and they'll be ready for drying. The rinse and tumble process takes about 5 minutes. The nice thing is, it doesn't matter if it's 18 or 150 cases; because the cases don't have to be individually handled the required time changes very little.

Drying will take about 40 minutes so in about 75 minutes I'll have clean, dry cases and can be absolutely certain no media, be it pins or dry media will be in any case.

After cleaning and rinsing,

Maybe it's because I've never been a "neat freak" but these certainly look clean enough to me.

·
Super Moderator
13,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Maybe it's because I've never been a "neat freak" but these certainly look clean enough to me.
That's plenty clean for me too! And, I think because the US bombards the cases with sound waves the insides of the cases get cleaner as well, but I really can't prove that. I think wet pin tumbling would clean the inside too, but messing with pins is a LOT of trouble. Inside cleaning isn't important to everyone, but it is to me because I want the inside volume to remain as constant as feasible.

And, in full disclosure, these are a bit cleaner than a larger number would be. The more cases there are, the less sonic power each case gets. I guess one solution is to do about 50 cases at a time, although I have done as many as 150+.

·
Registered
9,690 Posts
Here is what my brass looks like after dry tumbling. All I do is pull the plug out of the tumbler to let the media dump out, then run my hand through the tumbler to tip the cases over and dump the media out. Do this for a minute or so, and they will all be upright with no media in them and I can grab it by the handful and dump into a container for storage.
Curious what you use to dry your brass after cleaning in the US though.

·
Super Moderator
13,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
Here is what my brass looks like after dry tumbling. All I do is pull the plug out of the tumbler to let the media dump out, then run my hand through the tumbler to tip the cases over and dump the media out. Do this for a minute or so, and they will all be upright with no media in them and I can grab it by the handful and dump into a container for storage.
I'm sure that works for straight wall pistol cases, but I don't think it would work for long bottle neck rifle cases. I actually hold each case upside down against the vibrating tumbler to try to vibrate any media out. That gets the bulk of it, but...

...Curious what you use to dry your brass after cleaning in the US though.

·
Registered
9,690 Posts
I'm sure that works for straight wall pistol cases, but I don't think it would work for long bottle neck rifle cases. I actually hold each case upside down against the vibrating tumbler to try to vibrate any media out. That gets the bulk of it, but...

With rifle cases it doesn’t fall out as easily I guess. But it still works itself out pretty easy. Same process is used, except I may grab the brass and tip it over before placing it in a container. All I’m saying is that it SHOULDN’T take any effort to get the media out of it. I may try using the US for the brass again just to try something different.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I'd be interested in whether there is any measurable difference in 223 ballistics where a few granules of walnut remained in the case vs ones which are devoid of granules. I have my doubts when the number is small. The main thing is to ensure no granules are wedged it the flash hole IMHO.

·
Super Moderator
13,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I'd be interested in whether there is any measurable difference in 223 ballistics where a few granules of walnut remained in the case vs ones which are devoid of granules. I have my doubts when the number is small. The main thing is to ensure no granules are wedged it the flash hole IMHO.
What I'm concerned about is far more than a few granules. Sometimes it takes 10-12 strokes on the brush before it stops coming out. I rotate the case 180° while using the brush and even more comes out. It's not a case full or anywhere near it, but it's enough to affect case volume.

·
Super Moderator
13,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
With rifle cases it doesn’t fall out as easily I guess. But it still works itself out pretty easy.
It pours out easily, most of it anyway, but there can be a significant amount that won't even vibrate out.

...Same process is used, except I may grab the brass and tip it over before placing it in a container. All I’m saying is that it SHOULDN’T take any effort to get the media out of it.
That's how I see it too, but if turning every case upside down and holding it against the running vibrator wall won't get it all out, something is going on we're not seeing???

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
It pours out easily, most of it anyway, but there can be a significant amount that won't even vibrate out.

That's how I see it too, but if turning every case upside down and holding it against the running vibrator wall won't get it all out, something is going on we're not seeing???
Strange, I use the same technique, touching the inverted case to the vibratory tumbler and it gets virtually all the granules out.

·
Registered
9,690 Posts

Yeah. There has to be something funky going on in there. I don’t have to hold it against the tumbler or anything like that. I just turn it upside down to dump whatever might be in it, out.

·
Super Moderator
13,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Strange, I use the same technique, touching the inverted case to the vibratory tumbler and it gets virtually all the granules out.
I know, it is strange. It is interesting that there are numerous posts about this on gun boards, but so far I haven't seen an answer to the problem.

Maybe the media is picking up moisture which combines with the media to act like a weak glue. My vibrator is in an unheated garage but moisture hasn't been an issue and the humidity should have been pretty low during the winter months.

·
Super Moderator
13,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Hmmm, how do you know it gets all the granules out? I thought that technique was getting all my media out too, until I started using a brush on the inside. I can't see the media in the case, but that brush sure finds it.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Hmmm, how do you know it gets all the granules out? I thought that technique was getting all my media out too, until I started using a brush on the inside. I can't see the media in the case, but that brush sure finds it.
Maybe I don't get them all but visual inspection with a light seems to indicate that I do. Do the granules stick around the shoulder where visual wouldn't catch them or just randomly distributed in the case?

·
Super Moderator
13,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Maybe I don't get them all but visual inspection with a light seems to indicate that I do. Do the granules stick around the shoulder where visual wouldn't catch them or just randomly distributed in the case?
II can't see into a 223 case well enough to know where the media is collecting. I was sticking the tube/nozzle of canned air deep in the case and blowing it out. But, when I used the brush afterwards, it can pull a bunch of media out.

I would saw a case in half longitudinally but I never know which cases will have no media and which will have a lot. Hmmm, my borescope!

·
Registered
42,330 Posts
I don't know, Tangle. I grabbed a baggie of prepped cases and there was no loose media in the baggie. I ran a brush down the neck of a handful, swirled the brush around, and nothing came out. I've never noticed more than a granule or two in my loading block after post-tumbling handling. There must be something wrong with the media you're using, or mix if you're adding something.

Here's a picture of the brand I used. It's kept opened in my FL garage and is as dry and clump free as the day I bought it several years ago. The only clumping I ever experienced was some Nufinish that didn't mix in and break down--once. I have no other ideas why you're experiencing the residue.🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Tangle
41 - 60 of 80 Posts