Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,441 Posts
Over the last several years GA has come a long way in educating LEO's about the scope of the GWCL - Georgia Weapons Carry License. And carry covers both open and closed.

Yep, it's good to live in a state in which you are not assumed to be a criminal up to no good if you are OC or CC-ing.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Wait .... what? Georgia is open carry?

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
ah .... according to statute as long as you have a Georgia permit.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Yeah, not sure how that works as far as reciprocity goes. I know you can carry here, and that you have to obey GA law when you do, but I have no idea how it works if you have a concealed carry permit from FL (or anywhere else for that matter).

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
Yeah, not sure how that works as far as reciprocity goes. I know you can carry here, and that you have to obey GA law when you do, but I have no idea how it works if you have a concealed carry permit from FL (or anywhere else for that matter).
Come on up to VA. OC does not require a permit here.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Looks to me like my permit is fine in Georgia, but open carry is out for me. That's fine, I actually prefer concealed, but there are times when I'm working the property that I would like to not have to worry about exposure.

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
Looks to me like my permit is fine in Georgia, but open carry is out for me. That's fine, I actually prefer concealed, but there are times when I'm working the property that I would like to not have to worry about exposure.
If you own the property you are on, you don't need a permit.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if you have a fl license you can carry here and follow our laws
i go to fl to see my sons i have to carry concieled in fl there laws there state

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Georgia statute specifically states that OC is for Georgia permit holders only.

Unless of course I'm on my own property, then I can carry at will. So when I'm here:

House Log cabin Cottage Property Building

I can open carry all I want.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Can you please cite the statue, and paste the relevant portion?
Sorry, just saw this .... give me a few minutes.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
well, actually .....

I've seen comments on opencarry.org that state that Georgia only allows open carry for Georgia permits. I've also seen language that suggests that if you have a concealed permit from a state with reciprocity, then you can carry concealed but that it must be concealed. and I've seen comments that note that open carry is a different permit that is issued specifically by a magistrate.

So ... finding statute in Georgia is no different than finding it for any other state, sort of like finding a needle in a haystack. But given that open carry does require the magistrate issued/approved pistol license, and given that license is different than a concealed permit, I'd stick to concealed carry as long as I'm a Florida permit holder in Georgia.

Reactions: ginzo
1 - 20 of 51 Posts