Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Al in all, a good problem to have, but a problem nonetheless.

I've weighed 215-225 or so ever since I began carrying regularly. At 5'10", most of my excess was carried around my stomach, above my waist. Even with a waist of 34", I was able to make 32/30-sized pants and trousers with flexible waistbands work for IWB. Over the past year and a half or so, my weight has dropped down to a current 187 lbs, while my waist is at a solid 30". With the gradual weight loss has come new problems with carry, two of which have made my traditional IWB 3:00 carry no longer tenable: my "cushion" against which my carry gun rode in that perfect niche is gone, as is the niche. I get rubbed raw in two places now when I try to carry at 3:00. Problem #2 is the constant print I experience at 3:00 due to the simple loss of real estate over there against which my rig would blend in under my carry garment.

Awhile ago, I ordered a left-handed IWB holster for my stock 45 Shields with the idea of carrying a second gun weak side as a back up. While the second gun plan never worked out due to the problems described above, I found that I could very comfortably and effectively carry AIWB at 11:30 with the proper rig. With that in mind, I recently ordered a right-handed Dara AIWB holster made around a .45 Performance Center Shield with a 4" barrel. With some fairly extensive tweaking and re-designing, I've gotten it to where it fits and works perfectly, still at the 11:30 carry position. For whatever reason, I can't find that perfect carry spot on the right side.

Now that I have the basic design down, I'll be building holsters for all my carry guns in the near future. Like I said, a good problem to have.

I have found the foam wedge to be critical for effective, comfortable AIWB carry.

·
Super Moderator
23,201 Posts
It's nice to see you posting, Mike!

I am struggling with some similar matters and am now carrying an LCR at 1:00 with some (limited) success.

The struggle continues. :lolp:

It is real. :rofl:

First world problems.

USA problems.

You realize, Mike, as we age, and lose height, we need to lose more weight? I personally find that offensive. My Doctor added 8 more pounds to my goal. :mad:

·
Premium Member
4,237 Posts
Glad to see you back.

I've never been able to carry IWB. OWB at 3-4. I too need to drop 15-20 pounds, which shouldn't create any problems with carrying.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've found from going from 250 lbs down to 185 lbs carrying IWB in an AlienGear at 4:00 to 5:00 and and Uncle Mike's belt made all the difference in the world when carrying anything whether it be my Dan Wesson 15-2 or my Ruger Lc9s or my S&W 360. Seems pretty comfortable all the time

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
33,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's nice to see you posting, Mike!

I am struggling with some similar matters and am now carrying an LCR at 1:00 with some (limited) success.

The struggle continues. :lolp:

It is real. :rofl:

First world problems.

USA problems.

You realize, Mike, as we age, and lose height, we need to lose more weight? I personally find that offensive. My Doctor added 8 more pounds to my goal. :mad:
Thanks to one and all for the welcome back. A mental health break from time to time can be a good thing.

The whole weight thing became glaringly apparent to me when I was photographed in Israel two summers ago. I have been on a gradual weight loss course ever since.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Congrats on the weight lose. I still carry larger guns just in front of my hip bone with a 15 degree cant and the barrel pointing just outboard. Yes, its carried against the hip bone but, I find in comfortable none the less. For true AIWB I have self stick Velcro on all my holsters and just experiment with my box of homemade wedges until I get one that works for that holster and gun combo.
What you lost in 3:00 carry should make AIWB very doable. Good luck.
I find the wide band pants and the wide band under shorts work best for my 2:30 carry because you eliminate potential hotspots on your hip.

·
Registered
10,851 Posts
Welcome back Mike!

I admit to being a bit confused though...is AIWB not IWB? You just moved from the hip to the front, but still IWB, yes?

Personally, if you have to start sticking wedges and pads on the holster to make it tolerable...then I’m not sure that’s the best way to go.

Hope you find what works for you.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Welcome back Mike!

Personally, if you have to start sticking wedges and pads on the holster to make it tolerable...then I’m not sure that’s the best way to go.

This is something that I have started doing.

Its amazing how our bodies can change, ( good or bad) in just a few years time.

I have found that placing some hard foam at the end of a kydex holster works great for additional comfort, and to allow for the grip to tuck in tighter to the body.

This makes much more sense to me than trying to buy more holsters, or spend time and money for another gun.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Welcome back Mike. Good to "see" ya again.

I've quit trying to make AIWB comfortable. Got the holsters, the claws, etc. It's just not comfortable to me. I'm just not gonna start messing with foam pads. 3:30 -- 4:00 is fine with both subcompact and full size. I'm happy for everyone that can make AIWB work.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Same situation, I've been on a diet and exercise plan since last year. As I've lost weight and purchased a new more fit wardrobe, my gun has shifted further and further back on my hip to remain concealed. I borrowed my wife's AIWB rig and quite like it. I still haven't made the shift, but I feel more like I'm delaying the inevitable.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Yes welcome back Mike! The only inside the waist band holster I have is a Milt Sparks Summer Special that's employed with a 1911 series pistol. I'm just slightly under 10Lbs over my discharge weight from active duty USMC. It wasn't always that way, but I walk a lot as in miles and watch what I consume. My EDC is a S&W Shield 9x19mm in a outside the waist band holster. I'm retired so my dress is casual and besides that being an old man no one pays much attention to me and or my appearance anymore.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
WB Mike!
Sounds like you've found a workable solution to your problem.

With my chronic pain/back issues, I haven't been able to carry IWB since I changed from a 38 snub to the G19. The G19 settles well in an OWB at 3:30-4:00 or for short times an AIWB at 11:30.
I also use a wedge for AIWB to tuck the grip frame in closer to my body.

I have exactly the opposite problem.
Since I quit actively farming in 2018, I have gained 15-20 pounds. Most of that around my waist. Two problems with that. The added weight makes it more difficult to walk with the cane and pushes the grip out away from my body which makes concealing it more difficult.

·
Premium Member
7,117 Posts
Welcome back Mike. Since you make your own holsters, it might take some time but you'll figure it out and be back to carrying all the time - soon, I hope.

Reactions: Mike1956

·
Premium Member
33,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Welcome back Mike. Since you make your own holsters, it might take some time but you'll figure it out and be back to carrying all the time - soon, I hope.
Thanks. I actually am still carrying full time, just with other makers' holsters. This Dara model that I have works great after some modifications. I also have a JB leftie for a regular .45 Shield. I now have working models upon which to draw from to make AIWB holsters for my other carry guns.

For whatever reason, the photo app here insists on flipping my added pics around. Here is my 45 Shield Performance Center model with the RMSc red dot:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Thanks. I actually am still carrying full time, just with other makers' holsters. This Dara model that I have works great after some modifications. I also have a JB leftie for a regular .45 Shield. I now have working models upon which to draw from to make AIWB holsters for my other carry guns.

For whatever reason, the photo app here insists on flipping my added pics around. Here is my 45 Shield Performance Center model with the RMSc red dot:
Mike, I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I simply cannot see how that is comfortable when bending, driving, sitting, etc. Aaack.
I'm glad it works for you, though.

·
Premium Member
33,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mike, I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I simply cannot see how that is comfortable when bending, driving, sitting, etc. Aaack.
I'm glad it works for you, though.
I cannot see how it is comfortable while doing all those things, either, but it is. I had to make some serious mods on this particular holster (see the holes where the belt loops used to attach?) to make it work, but having done all that, it works very well.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts