Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Might try a hybrid holster at 3:00. I find them considerably more comfortable then standard kydex because leather is toughing you not plastic.

·
Registered
10,857 Posts
Thanks. I actually am still carrying full time, just with other makers' holsters. This Dara model that I have works great after some modifications. I also have a JB leftie for a regular .45 Shield. I now have working models upon which to draw from to make AIWB holsters for my other carry guns.

For whatever reason, the photo app here insists on flipping my added pics around. Here is my 45 Shield Performance Center model with the RMSc red dot:
Ouch! No, just...no. As a matter of fact, that would be the third degree of no.

Man, I can’t even look at that pic...

:eek:

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
IWB just doesn't work for me hard as I've tried with some fine holsters. Short periods here & there are manageable but I've settled on OWB 2:30-3:00 is my favorite sweet spot for all day comfort.
Good subject matter for discussion …...

·
Premium Member
33,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
This is something that I have started doing.

Its amazing how our bodies can change, ( good or bad) in just a few years time.

I have found that placing some hard foam at the end of a kydex holster works great for additional comfort, and to allow for the grip to tuck in tighter to the body.

This makes much more sense to me than trying to buy more holsters, or spend time and money for another gun.
That wedge makes all the difference for me. The JB came with one, which worked great right from giddyup. I added one to the Dara, which I am now wearing most days.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Explain the wedge, please.

<edit> I was looking at the Dara website -- it says they've now replaced the wedge with a claw. I've already tried the claw w/ AIWB. It doesn't make it any more comfortable.

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
Explain the wedge, please.

I was looking at the Dara website -- it says they've now replaced the wedge with a claw. I've already tried the claw w/ AIWB. It doesn't make it any more comfortable.
Two different features. One should not replace the other.

This pic is courtesy of JM Kydex

The wedge can serve two purposes. Comfort and pushing the muzzle end of the holster away from the body to better cant the gun toward the body on the vertical axis.

The claw and other devices help cant the gun along the horizontal axis.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
33,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I was going to ask if you have tried cross draw, but I see you have.
The holster doesn't ride comfortably at the 12:30 position. It doesn't affect the drawstroke much, if any by carrying it at 11:30.

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
131 Posts
Missed you Brother. Glad all is well.
B

BTW Im making that “trek” with my son at the end of the month. Hopefully you won’t see any of those photos of me. :smile: Again thanks.

·
Premium Member
33,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Missed you Brother. Glad all is well.
B

BTW Im making that “trek” with my son at the end of the month. Hopefully you won’t see any of those photos of me. :smile: Again thanks.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
7 Posts
hybrid holster= which kind is good? I am not a fan of leather, i know there is a synthetic that is padded and might be more comfortable to wear

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I understand the rubbing. I solved that problem by adding a chunk of leather to soften up the hard edge of the back of the slide.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
It’s kind of weird but my 1911 carried iwb in the MS SS is the most comfortable mode of carry for me these days.

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
hybrid holster= which kind is good? I am not a fan of leather, i know there is a synthetic that is padded and might be more comfortable to wear
I'm pretty much a hater of all things hybrid for lots or reasons, including comfort. There are too many other solid options available, IMO.

·
Premium Member
33,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Ouch! No, just...no. As a matter of fact, that would be the third degree of no.

Man, I can’t even look at that pic...

:eek:
Up until about ten pounds ago, I would have agreed with you completely. That said, this current rendition is the most comfortable IWB carry method I have ever experienced. Even when bicycling, it's comfortable and concealed. I never really had that with my previous IWB 3:00 setup, which after a few miles of pedaling, I definitely know it was there.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
It’s kind of weird but my 1911 carried iwb in the MS SS is the most comfortable mode of carry for me these days.
I find the commander carried just forward of the hip with my Galco summer comfort is very comfortable. Really makes no difference vs a polymer single stack 9mm.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts