Defensive Carry banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Impressive mailbox, I didn't read about it, but I am curious, do you know how the mail person can open it, but no one else can?
It probably works like the multi-customer mailbox that we installed in a commercial building a couple of years back. The mail box comes with holes drilled for a post office provided lock as well as a fully installed lock and key for the customer. You install the mailbox and then call the post office and they send someone out to install one of their locks in the pre-drilled hole. I am not sure if they charge for that or not. That was above my pay grade. I would imagine that they do.

Here is a photo of the model mailbox we installed. As you can see each tenant has a key for their individual mailbox, but the keyhole above the label is for the lock that the post office installs, and for which only they have a key. It allows the mail carrier access to all the individual boxes. (the entire front of the box tilts out exposing the open tops of each mailbox).

mailbox_1.jpg

·
Super Moderator
12,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I know what would happen here if the Mail man saw all the electronics! It would start with black SUV's servailing and end with a bomb squad!
It really isn't much electronics - just a small box on the back door of the mailbox - I doubt the mail carrier would ever see it.

...There are almost as many laws concerning mailboxes as there are about guns! I would consult your mail people first! DR
That's the real issue. I've been meaning to find out about this before now and I will before I do anything.

·
Super Moderator
12,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #64

·
Registered
Various
15,510 Posts
Interesting, a bit pricy $171. What do you do about charging the batteries?
They are rechargeable in about an hour. They send me a message on my iPhone when they get low. Typically, they last about a month on a charge. I have them around the outside and inside of the house. Any movement is sent to my iPhone and my computer immediately including audio.

·
Super Moderator
12,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
They are rechargeable in about an hour. They send me a message on my iPhone when they get low. Typically, they last about a month on a charge. I have them around the outside and inside of the house. Any movement is sent to my iPhone and my computer immediately including audio.
I apologize for all the questions but I'm trying to decide if this would work for my situation. My mailbox is about 3 feet from the roadway, am I correct in thinking this would pick up every car that passes by ?

·
Super Moderator
12,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I really like what you've done around your house with these things! I'm unclear though, do you get both video and audio on your phone?

·
Registered
Various
15,510 Posts
I really like what you've done around your house with these things! I'm unclear though, do you get both video and audio on your phone?

HD video, night vision video, and audio to my iPhone. They are wireless to a hub which plugs into my wireless router. Both are made by Netgear. It is shocking to see a bat fly near the camera at night.

·
Registered
Various
15,510 Posts
I apologize for all the questions but I'm trying to decide if this would work for my situation. My mailbox is about 3 feet from the roadway, am I correct in thinking this would pick up every car that passes by ?
I aim the camera down near the driveway or it gets every vehicle and person walking anywhere on the cul-de-sac. Our mail person turns around right in front of our driveway.

·
Super Moderator
12,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
HD video, night vision video, and audio to my iPhone. They are wireless to a hub which plugs into my wireless router. Both are made by Netgear. It is shocking to see a bat fly near the camera at night.
Impressive! Hmmm, I already have a Netgear router...

·
Super Moderator
12,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I aim the camera down near the driveway or it gets every vehicle and person walking anywhere on the cul-de-sac. Our mail person turns around right in front of our driveway.
I figured there must be something to distinguish the carrier from other traffic. I can't do that - pretty much all cars would look alike.

·
Registered
33,911 Posts
Put a burner phone in your mailbox and have the postman text you, "You have mail!"

·
Registered
18 Posts
How about a low power fm tx with a pressure switch on the door and a rx with flashing light? I see a lot of components on Amazon.

Reactions: Tangle

·
Registered
Various
15,510 Posts
I figured there must be something to distinguish the carrier from other traffic. I can't do that - pretty much all cars would look alike.
I get the mail truck, UPS truck, FedEx truck and trash trucks because they follow the curbs. Most other vehicles turn around shorter in the cul-de-sac.

·
Super Moderator
12,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
How about a low power fm tx with a pressure switch on the door and a rx with flashing light? I see a lot of components on Amazon.
Similar idea to what I described in the OP. If you have a fm tx you have to have a fm rcvr. Not necessarily a problem but could be additional costs unless you could use an fm radio you already have.

There are several ways to detect the door being opened. In order to minimize wiring and switch intrusion, I've decided to use a photodiode that detects increased light when the front door is opened. I'll use a tilt switch for the rear door. It will be mounted directly to the printed circuit board and requires no external wiring. Since I replaced my rear door with a clear plexiglass door I can mount the entire unit on the rear door and have no switches to wire or mount to the mailbox.

Of course this is IF there are no Federal regulations prohibiting this and I suspect there are prohibitive regulations or it would have already been done.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Of course this is IF there are no Federal regulations prohibiting this and I suspect there are prohibitive regulations or it would have already been done.
You're probably right, I'd like to do something, my mailbox is about 100 yds. away.

·
Registered
438 Posts
This can be fixed with a little spring loaded flag on the mailbox door. My neighbor had one, it was a yellow ball on a spring. You put it under a catch on the mailbox door when you get your mail, the mail person leaves it up when it's delivered.

·
Super Moderator
12,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
This can be fixed with a little spring loaded flag on the mailbox door. My neighbor had one, it was a yellow ball on a spring. You put it under a catch on the mailbox door when you get your mail, the mail person leaves it up when it's delivered.
We used to have one of those and then we decided since everyone could see the flag, we were announcing to the world that we have mail in our box. We disabled the flag.

·
Super Moderator
12,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
My parents have some sort of alarm on there's. It rings in the house when the mail box is opened.
Sure would like to know more about that.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts