Defensive Carry banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
You're covered in the pistol department fairly well. The week spot IMO is long gun in popular calibers.

The AR platform allows easy transition to whatever your needs dictate.
I would suggest a basic AR15 in 556 to start with. Then maybe a hunting rifle In whatever platform you choose in a heavier caliber (308, 30-06, etc).

With the political climate and frequent "crisis" buying frenzies having options in popular calibers just makes sense to me.

just saw y your second post.
Adding a PCC in 357 or 40 might be another option to consider once you fill the gap in rifle caliber.
This was one of my thoughts. Pick up an AR in 556, and then build an AR pistol (I'd just put in the pins, and have a local smith actually put the thing together from the parts) in 40, since i reload for it. And honestly, I've been wanting one similar to the one Badbob has since I saw the picture of it

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I am i Kansas,, the biggest things we have here are elk. The bolt action 303 and lever action 32 Win Special will easily harvest meat out to 300 yards on deer, and out to 150 or so on elk. The 22 and the 32-20 will easily handle small game, with the 32-20 being enough to go up to the size of a large coyote.
You should be fine so long as you reload some of the off calibers or have a built up reserve of factory ammo. The problem I see is that the 303, 32 Win Special, and 32-20 aren't often readily available a lot of places. I guess what I'm trying to get across is that the less common calibers can be problematic without a reserve.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I guess what I'm trying to get across is that the less common calibers can be problematic without a reserve.
For those of you that gave me recommendations, I do truly appreciate it, and hope they continue. If I sounded like I was discounting your replies, I wasn't, and am very sorry if it sou did that way. What was happening was that I wasn't picking up on something specific, outlined in the above quote.

With this being spelled out for me, I now understand the recommendations that looked to duplicate what I already have, such as the lever in 357 or 30-30. I haven't made my decision just yet as to what I'm going to do here.

·
Registered
Various
15,552 Posts
If I could have only one weapon, it would be a .30-06 rifle. Every general store or bait and tackle shop in the boonies has ammo for them. You can get NATO surplus ammo for them. You can load them down to varmint or small game hunting. You can load them up for any critter in North America. My second choice of only one weapon would be a 12 gauge shotgun for the same reasons.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
@LimaCharlie i appreciate the reply. Is there a specific manufacturer or model you would recommend for a 30-06? Perhaps a weight range for the rifle? Ive seen 6.3-7.8 lb models. What about a Remington Woodsmaster model 742? Or perhaps I'd be better off with a bolt action?

·
Registered
Various
15,552 Posts
The Remington semi-auto and pump action rifles are not known for their accuracy. They are great for deer hunting out to about 200 yards. The bolt actions are more accurate. The heavier the rifle, the less recoil. Heavy rifles are great for tree stand hunting, but not great for stalking of game for distances. There are lots of great rifle manufacturers.

I tend to stay away from Savage rifles. They are great rifles. Something in the way they make their stocks makes the felt recoil worse for me for the same size and weight rifles.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
@LimaCharlie i appreciate the reply. Is there a specific manufacturer or model you would recommend for a 30-06? Perhaps a weight range for the rifle? Ive seen 6.3-7.8 lb models. What about a Remington Woodsmaster model 742? Or perhaps I'd be better off with a bolt action?
My uncle has two Remington's in 308, a 700 and a 760. The 700 is more accurate than the 760, but the 760 is faster for follow-up shots. The 760 is a little lighter and easier to carry.

You might want to look at the Howa 1500 bolt action if you decide to go that route. They build a solid rifle that won't break the bank. If you run across a used S&W bolt action, Howa built them.
My favorite varmint rifle was a heavy barrel Howa 1500 that was one of the first brand new rifles I bought. Always got comments on it because the barrel is marked Howa 1500, but the action and the stock have S&W markings.

If you prefer a lever action, a Savage 99 in 308 might be worth looking at. Not as accurate as most bolt actions, but good enough for most game in North America. Might be a bit out of your price range. The last ones I've seen were between $800 to $1200.
Sweet handling rifle and magazine fed too!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
I should ask, wifh the discussion of bolt action rifles, what kind of range am I looking at needing? 300, 500, 800 yards? Despite having the 303, 20 guageand 25-20, I haven't shot a bolt action in probably 32 years, give or take. And I haven't hunted for game for about that amount of time either. I can afford an M1A, if i need to. Considering the 10mm I was looking at was the TRP. I'd rather not spend that much if I can get away with it. If its something carried by Cabelas or Academy, so much the better, as i have $3-350 (maybe $400?) in appreciation points from work that I can use there to offset the cost. Not my favorite places for gun purchases, but using those points should help with costs, if need be.

Honestly, I'm a bit out of my element, looking at these, as well as the other options, which is why I'm asking for so much advice. I realize that the final decision is mine, however, the more input I can get, besides just reading reviews by gun writers, the better informed decision i can make on this. Thanks for the help so far.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
I should ask, wifh the discussion of bolt action rifles, what kind of range am I looking at needing? 300, 500, 800 yards? Despite having the 303, 20 guageand 25-20, I haven't shot a bolt action in probably 32 years, give or take. And I haven't hunted for game for about that amount of time either. I can afford an M1A, if i need to.
Only you can answer the question about what you need.

For me, a 1000 yard precision rifle would do no more than a quality 200 yard capable deer rifle. Even if I went up on the roof of the house I’d be hard pressed to even see over 100 yards, let alone shoot at something.

What problem do you envision solving, in your specific life and situation, with long range shooting? Hunting, defense, target shooting for pleasure? Realistic distance? Accuracy need at that distance? Velocity/penetration/energy need at that distance?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thats just it, I'm not aware of what I need. I didn't think I'd be in a position like this where I'm questioning what I have. I thought I was good, in my defensive posture, until all this fun stuff started up. The fact that it has been ongoing for several months, has put me into an interesting position. As such, im caught rather flat-footedso am needing to rectify this issue. I know i have handguns and ammo. There, I believe I'm good. I know i have plenty of shotgun shells. Where I'm lacking, is medium and longer range solutions. As far as accuracy, I don't think i need to be able to castrate a gnat at 500 yards, but i would assume, considering where i live, that close to moa out to 300-500 yards would be fairly economically accomplished. Maybe minute of deer vitals to 300? I don't know. I don't hunt at the moment. I want to get back into it. Don't know if I ever will get back to it. That's why I was thinking multipurpose for the rifle. At this pont I'm lost, to be honest.

·
Registered
Various
15,552 Posts
When I go to the LGS, the owner asks what my next gun will be. I always answer, "It will be a total surprise." I went in to look at an S&W revolver and came home with a used Ruger M-77 .338 WinMag rifle.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I should ask, wifh the discussion of bolt action rifles, what kind of range am I looking at needing? 300, 500, 800 yards? Despite having the 303, 20 guageand 25-20, I haven't shot a bolt action in probably 32 years, give or take. And I haven't hunted for game for about that amount of time either. I can afford an M1A, if i need to. Considering the 10mm I was looking at was the TRP. I'd rather not spend that much if I can get away with it. If its something carried by Cabelas or Academy, so much the better, as i have $3-350 (maybe $400?) in appreciation points from work that I can use there to offset the cost. Not my favorite places for gun purchases, but using those points should help with costs, if need be.

Honestly, I'm a bit out of my element, looking at these, as well as the other options, which is why I'm asking for so much advice. I realize that the final decision is mine, however, the more input I can get, besides just reading reviews by gun writers, the better informed decision i can make on this. Thanks for the help so far.
There are far more knowledgeable people here than I to answer your questions, but I'll give you my opinion.
The first thing is to decide on the primary role a rifle will fill. That will give you an idea of what distances to consider. That will also help with deciding on a caliber that will be appropriate for the job.

personally, I don't have much use for a 1000 yard tack driver. I've only shot that far once and had a really good coach who got me on target in 3 rounds. On my own, I limit myself to 300 yards or less if possible.
I lost most of my guns to a house fire a few years ago.
As I replaced my collection, I tried to fit each one to the role I expected it to play.
My first replacements were short to medium range general duty that I filled with two lever actions. A 30-30 and a 45 Colt, both 16" carbines. The 30-30 will handle pretty much any game in my area out to 150 yards or so. The 45 Colt is limited to shorter range, but can be loaded for everything from small game up to the low end of 45-70 ballistics with 300gr XTP @ 18-1900fps. The carbine length makes them easy to handle for both myself and my Daughter.
I added a 223 Handy Rifle for varmints paired with a quality 4-16x scope. Have taken coyote out to around 300 yards with it, but that is about the effective limit to a 55gr 223 bullet. Don't think I'd chance anything bigger than coyote with it that far out.
The last rifle I replaced was my AR. I went with a basic 16" rifle in 556 and fitted it with a 4x scope and backup irons. Eventually I plan to pick up a 450 Bushmaster upper for those times I might want a heavier short range caliber.
I've been thinking about adding an AR10 in 308 for those longer ranges that the 223 just doesn't have enough energy left to be effective.

That's my thought process. Everything I have currently is a working gun. I picked common calibers to help with ammunition supply and try to add ammunition to the inventory on a regular basis rather than rush to buy when the market is up.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Thats just it, I'm not aware of what I need. I didn't think I'd be in a position like this where I'm questioning what I have. I thought I was good, in my defensive posture, until all this fun stuff started up. The fact that it has been ongoing for several months, has put me into an interesting position. As such, im caught rather flat-footedso am needing to rectify this issue. I know i have handguns and ammo. There, I believe I'm good. I know i have plenty of shotgun shells. Where I'm lacking, is medium and longer range solutions. As far as accuracy, I don't think i need to be able to castrate a gnat at 500 yards, but i would assume, considering where i live, that close to moa out to 300-500 yards would be fairly economically accomplished. Maybe minute of deer vitals to 300? I don't know. I don't hunt at the moment. I want to get back into it. Don't know if I ever will get back to it. That's why I was thinking multipurpose for the rifle. At this pont I'm lost, to be honest.
Doing a periodic self-assessment is a good thing. If you're concerned about need for a medium to long range rifle, but aren't sure why or what for, I suggest first doing an area study and intel assessment of your immediate area. That will help inform what risks you may wish to try to mitigate not just inside your home, but also on your property and nearby terrain. A rifle may, or may not, fit into the larger overall risk mitigation strategy you choose to employ. There may be other mitigation measures in your case that are more cost effective or more effective than buying another gun, optics, and ammo.

I'm not affiliated with this guy, nor have I paid for any of his classes or services, but I think his outline of how to do an area assessment is a good starting point for a personal evaluation of our local communities. Recommend viewing this as a point of departure for your own self-assessment:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Good place to start, @graydude , thank you. I had a surprising insight late last night, brought on by reading the post from @TSKnight . Up until now, I had been looking at my long guns as tools. Which is the right way, except for one thing. I'd been looking at them through the eyes of my upbringing, as a farmer and a hunter from the 70s and 80s, not as who I am now, being retired military in a time of social unrest. As such, I'd look at for example the 32 and think i have 20 rounds for it, thats easily enough, if i need to hunt with it for meat. The same goes for the 303, and the rest of the rifles (not necessarily the 20 round part, but more like 1-2 boxes of ammo).

The fact of the matter is, in my reevaluation, I realized I was wholely unprepared for if social unrest comes knocking. A quick evaluation of the places I normally go, shows that a handgun and shotgun will do most of whats needed. Shots out to 400 or 500 yards? Not so much. 100 yard shots, maybe a few, if i need to use a get home bag with a get home gun. Odds of that are slim to none as well, however. In other words, there better be a darn good reason for me to be taking those shots at 100 yards.

I also spent some time last night looking at ammo availability and cost. 308, 30-06, and 5.56 all have very good availability, although the cost isn't making me happy. But, since I'm reloading now, I should be able to mitigate that some, if need be.

This leads me to believe my best options would be an AR-15 for at home, and if'n you'll think i should have a big game gun that uses more common ammo as well, i can pull that off.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts