Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's getting to be a problem with me every time I open my safe I can't pick out what I want to carry for the day. It's going to be worse when the warm weather starts. I have to pick out one pistol to carry consistenly as my designated carry gun. It seems that when I open my safe all my queens start dancing around yelling take me.

I can't carry my 657 .41 mag in a belt holster because my pants fall down and the shoulder holster seems to have shrunk over the years,so thats out.

My collection of Walthers are nice but the .380 caliber is a little small for the areas I travel, even carrying silvertips.

My .38 and 357's are old friends but don't carry enough loads.

So I have it narrowed down to a Sigma9ve loaded with Winchester 115 jhp, S&W 1911 or a Sig Sauer P220. all of them I shoot equally well and I'm going to carry in my belt. They all conceal very well and about the same.

Out of these three which one would you perfer to carry and why that one over the others.

·
Registered
767 Posts
My .38 and 357's are old friends but don't carry enough loads.

A pair of 5 shot j-frames should provide more than adequate firepower, I should think. And worn on the belt, strong and weak side, make a very balanced rig.

As to your question of the 3, I cant help but go with the 1911. Makes for an easier package to work around in an iwb holster.

Dan

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can understand why not to go with the Sigma, I had doubts about that one. But I kinda figured it as a toss up between the Sig and 1911. Any special reason you guys like the 1911 more over the Sig P220? I understand the trigger pull would be better once the safety is flicked off but I sort of thought that would be offset by not having to do that with the Sig.

·
Banned
693 Posts
After reading a recent story about a stoppage due to a broken extractor, I'm not betting on the Sigma.

(BTW, my friends and I refer to that model as 'The Smegma.' It's a poor Glock knock-off to get Smith into the poly-frame market. We do not tolerate knock-offs in the knife industry, so why applaud them in the firearms market?)

You can never go wrong with a 1911 based pistol. I would seek a lighter frame like the 1911sc or a Commander.

As I have stated, a combat firearm to me is just a fancy brick. I carry a Glock, and I dislike them.

Sounds contradictary, but I also detest spray cheese, frozen pizza, Chinese stilettos, sensing Betty behind me, polyester jeans, metric V-twins and inflatable women.

Stick with the original (and I'm looking for a Commander), or buy 'the brick.'

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Hah .... the eternal dilemma! I can/have/do carry -

BHP, SP-101, M28-2, M629-6, SIG 226, P97, P95, R9, Thunder, Mak, etc.

Clothing is my main decision factor really - and as the SIG now has pretty much fave place in the choices, I will be trying to keep it going thru summer. if it becomes impractical then SP will take over (again, per last year). The smaller pieces in fact are really only BUG, unless very pushed by special occasions dress - fortunately rare!

So - choice is pretty much full-size .... something...all time possible.

·
Administrator
143,576 Posts
Either your Smith1911 or the SIG220
Why ??? ~ Just because I'm right & you should carry either one of those two. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
QKShooter said:
Either your Smith1911 or the SIG220
Why ??? ~ Just because I'm right & you should carry either one of those two. :biggrin:
I'm with QKShooter. Either one of those two I would carry without any hesitation, but being a 1911 guy, I would carry the 1911. :smile:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Another vote for the 1911.

Of those that you listed, that is the only one I have and have experience with. I enjoy the 1911, it fits me, conceals well, carries nicely in my IWB holster, and is .45. All those elements together is what makes it get my vote.

·
Banned
19 Posts
Once you get a Kahr PM 9 and a Kydex front pants pocket rig, (velcro lets it work in any pocket) and some 100 gr CorBon PowRball loads, you will never bother with a belt rig again. At sub 6" OAL and sub 15 ozs, the PM9 is considerably easier to pocket than the J frame .38's, and it's more powerful, more controlable, holds 40% more ammo, lies flatter in your pocket, carries a spare magazine a lot easier, etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts