Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had basically decided that I was gonna buy a p3at but I finally got to shoot one. I was seriously disappointed to say the least. I know it's for very close range shooting but wow. I was shooting at a range of about 12-14 yards and unless I took about 8 hours to pull the incedibly heavy trigger I couldn't hit a damn thing. I was so inaccurate I couldn't even test repeat shots.

I'm sure that one can learn to be pretty accurate with them but wow.

One more question??? How is the trigger on a pf9 compared to the p3at?

·
Premium Member
3,019 Posts
The P3AT will be harder to shoot because of the longer trigger pull, short grip and follow up shots will be much harder to control. Check your grip and shorten up the shooting distance to 0 to 7 yards. I have one with a CT laser grip and is my daily carry backup gun at bad breath distances.

I also own and carry a PF9. The gun is easier to shoot because of the better trigger and longer grip making it much easier to shoot. I can get hits much easier at further distances.

Hope that helps. :bier:

·
Registered
15 Posts
As has been said, typical distance is 7 yards. I have an LCP and it is very accurate at 21 to 25 feet. If you stage the trigger(take it about half way, you'll get the feel on your gun) and then acquire your sight picture, your accuracy will improve.
The LCP (and P3AT) are not range guns, but I love mine. It's a great compromise of size, weight, caliber and firepower.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
One pull of the horrible trigger told me it was time to get rid of my new Ruger LCP.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I enjoy shoot my P3AT much more than my PF9

I started out shoot handgun again seriously about 2 years ago and was not accustomed to 1911 style triggers, therefore the Kel Tec triggers seems just fine to me.

Remember the long trigger is a safety factor, and what I do is:

1. Take up the slack in trigger.

2. Push the gun toward target with barrel elevated up.

3. Then as you lower the barrel until front sight lines up on target.

4. Fire

I really enjoy using 3 targets about 3to6 feet apart and getting up close say 6ft. or less from targets and do speed double taps(mostly point and shoot) kind of feel the blast from the shot on your face.

The P3AT works very well in this role, I believe this little gun was made for up close (smell their bad breath) and fast double taps.

The PF9 is slower in this role due to recoil and muzzle flip.

At 1 to 3 yards I don't see much difference between 380HP and 9mmHP double tapped.

IMO folks try to mix the roles of different firearms:

Small belly gun P3AT, LCP etc are for up close and personal speed shooting (get off me you dirt bag), although they can be very effective at reaching out and touching if practiced with.

Other firearms and calibers handle longer ranges much better than small belly guns.

YMMV

·
Registered
263 Posts
I haven't shot a Keltec yet that I thought gave me an advantage over a rock. I bought their 40 cal version and doubt I could hit you if I put it to your chest as I pulled the trigger. Without a doubt the worst gun I've ever owned and will forever because there probably isn't a second sucker on earth to buy it from the first sucker, me. But if you want it, PM me and you can get it for a great price.

S&W made a little Sigma 380 and 9mm a few years ago that was a much better pistol all the way around. That little 380 is the only 380 I will probably ever own. I just like calibers with more grunt to them than 380 and even feel undergunned with a 9mm. That should get me flamed!:danceban:

·
Registered
266 Posts
It took me a several weeks to be decent at 7 yards with my P3AT, but its my BUG. I plan to only resort to it if I've exhausted everything else. And the only time I carry it as my primary is when my dress can't accommodate my EDC and that is for a 3-5 hours at a time.
A blouse, skirt, nylons, and heels don't work with a waist holster but they do with a thigh holster or purse/diaper bag.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
One pull of the horrible trigger told me it was time to get rid of my new Ruger LCP.
That's really surprising... My new LCP has a smooth trigger pull. Of course it's long, but it's lighter than most DA wheel guns... I haven't got to shoot it yet, due to my surgery, but using snap caps it seems pretty controllable...

·
Registered
10,997 Posts
Practice - and the pinky extension helps. You're better off staging the trigger, or firing more quickly. Trying to be slow gives you the "shakes" with a long heavy trigger.

·
Registered
649 Posts
To me all the small 380's and 32's are gut and go. They are for getting an assillant that has gotten to close off you quickly.

·
Registered
471 Posts
installing the pinky xtension really makes alot of difference. I found the p3at to be suprisingly accurate, but that was after I installed the pinky xtension. the trigger just takes awhile to master

·
Registered
260 Posts
It's a great little pocket pistol. So many times it slips into the waistband of dress slacks with shirt tucked and no one is wiser. Great BUG also. And the gun IS capable of being shot accurately. Practice, practice, practice.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The Sig P238 is actually fun to shoot.... nice single action (short) trigger. I carry mine hammer up and safety on. Carry in my pocket.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Fernset
Take a look at the Taurus TCP, its the same dimensions and weight as the Kel-Tec P3AT and has a much better trigger and grip. The trigger is stamped, smooth, rounded, larger and doesn't rub a blister like the Kel-Tec. The trigger pull is predictable and breaks the same every round. Sights are fixed and snag free like all the mouse guns and with the long trigger pull has a tendency to shoot low left until you get used to the long trigger pull.

The TCP will be my new pocket pistol and the P3AT will be sold. TCP MSRP is $338 and includes life time warranty. Most INTERNET dealers have them for around $250. I almost forgot, they are made in the USA.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
It is, what it is. Sounds like your expectations were off the mark for "what it is". It's also a matter of aligning expectations with the real practical use we intend the gun to be used for.

At less than 7 yards, for point and shoot, it's a barely adequate gun but then again, anything you put into your pocket is going to be roughtly in that same category.

If you want true pocket carry then you are talking light weight and two finger grip for most folks and that means "challenging to shoot and shoot well"!

Now if you look at the other options:

Sig 380, well it's heavier which makes it feel better to shoot and it's single action only so the trigger is better but I personally don't want a manual thumb safety on a pocket gun for SD. First I don't like the idea of it coming off and all that's between me and an ND is a single action trigger in a good holster (if you're smart).

The new Kahr offering is expensive (quality is...) but it has a WONDERFUL DAO trigger that gives you a good combination of safety but a good trigger to. It also has excellent sights (the Sig does too!) and I like how it locks back after you fire the last round. I personally think that's a BIG deal because that's how all of my "big" pistols" work. Can't tell you how many times I've lost round count when firing my P3AT or my LCP and pulled down on an empty chamber becasue I'd already emptied the mag. Probably not a big deal in a real SD scenario because it'll likely be over before that mag is empty anyway, but still...

So think about what you're really getting the gun for and align the purpose with what it is and your expecations are likely to be met.

If you don't have to absolutely have a pocket gun, consider going to IWB or OWB carry and getting a larger gun that has the features you're looking for.

Problem is, I (for one) do have a need for a true pocket gun from time to time and there just aren't a lot of choices.

God Bless
Gideon

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I like my LCP just fine. Long DA trigger but smooth and easy enough to hit what you want within 10 yards. Shooting as fast as I can pull the trigger I can keep all 6 shots in the head zone , actually roughly 3-4 inch group.

If the KT is anything like it you should be able to also. I have the PF-9 also and find it a long pull but can hit what I aim at pretty good with it to.

Course this is JMO and your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
lets be realistic...i'm sure there are a few people who are very profficient with the p3at and lcp...but it is a very small, short barreled, tight sight radius with almost non-existant sights handgun...i believe expecting great accuracy at 12-15 yards is a little optimistic at best....this isnt a range gun by any means and to expect it to be a comfortable shooter with great accuracy is just a bit far reaching....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts