Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some strange reason, the RK Gun Show has been in Knoxville every other weekend for about the last three months. I don't know why. Don't get me wrong; I love the fact that they have them here, but it's always the same vendors with the same stuff. They must be doing well, though, to be doing it this much. I do, however, find most of the stuff there to be overpriced.

So how are the shows in your area? New and exciting or dull?

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
With you on that...but I am still going tomorrow.:image035: Just had a thought we ought to start a DC Knoxville meeting at the gun shows.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
it is the same thing just down the road from you. the gun shows are knife and beef jerky shows along with some over price guns. it is the rambo's that keeps them in business. also you can get some socks while you are at the show.

·
Registered
2 Posts
HEAR,HEAR ! Over Priced and SSDD in Ft. Lauderdale. Its so packed though it's hard to walk, much less look @ anything. What gets me is the gangbangers w/their GF's AND GF's KIDS ! Making an outing of it !

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
I find them dull, and have for the past 15yrs. Now and then you can find a bargain, but it's rare. I dislike the crowds, the attitudes of many, and the feeling that I'm being done a wonderful service by having such special items made available to me. Fact is, I'll seek out sources when I find a need for an item. Until then, it's just so much window shopping at inflated prices.

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
I quit going to gun shows years ago...never again.:hand1:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I went to my first and only a few months back. I was REALLY excited about going, but the show was kind of a letdown. Not what I expected. Not a great selection of what I personally was looking for, and very overpriced. But I did find a cool knife for Jr's collection, so that was a plus.

Yesterday I was told we need to set up a booth at the one here Valentine's weekend. Eep! So I guess I'll be doing the gun shows from the other side of the table now.

·
Registered
366 Posts
but it's always the same vendors with the same stuff. I do, however, find most of the stuff there to be overpriced
the price to get it one $9.00 the guns in there i could get cheaper at 3 local gun stores... and there were venders there that had nothing to do with guns.....
whats up with that.....

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
About the only thing worthwhile for me at the gun show anymore is the fact that Georgia Arms shows up with some good cheap range ammo. Fondling the stuff and getting some beef jerky is what takes up the rest of my time. Basically, not worth the price of admission/parking unless I need some GA ammo.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Depends on the size of the show for me and where it's located. In my experience further from a major city and a smaller show you can find some good deals and even better guys to wheel and deal with. The thing about the shows I've been to over the years is that table price and what you can offer and get it for are two very different things. But I grew up selling and going to smaller gun shows with my father so I guess that skews my perspective.

I've found a few shows that are annual that I enjoy going to that are from 50-150 tables. Anything much bigger than that and I feel like I'm in a flea market rather than a gun show. I also hate shows that don't restrict entry to gun related items, nothing more irritating to me to pay to get into a show and be picking through tables of stuff that I could get at Harbor Freight cheaper and have nothing to do with guns.

Luke

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
For some strange reason, the RK Gun Show has been in Knoxville every other weekend for about the last three months. I don't know why. Don't get me wrong; I love the fact that they have them here, but it's always the same vendors with the same stuff. They must be doing well, though, to be doing it this much. I do, however, find most of the stuff there to be overpriced.

im tired of them going from a place you could get a deal or 2 to a place for the MOST part that they think everything they got is worth a MINIMUM of $50-100 more than its actually worth. I normally dont even bother anymore.

·
Registered
116 Posts
When I go to a RK show although its under a different name now up in Fremont,Nebraska, The last one I went to a few yrs back had only 2 tables of guns and the rest flea-market items. I saw a friend of mine there that had a table and he told the show promoter that I was with him and didnt have to pay the ridculous prices to get in. Since then,I stopped going to all shows because you see the same thing time after time like you do at a gun store. I save my time and gas money for other things. richgp100z

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Despite hearing similar comments as I'm hearing here I went to one,...one. It was a joke. The local gun shops that charge too much were the main ones there selling guns and guess what, they were charging even more! Any gun that wasn't knew was a valuable collectors item! :rolleyes:

The only gun I saw that was even close to reasonable was a Keltec P3AT and I think the guy had 10 of them. Ammo was a joke and there were more knives for sale than anything. Most were cheaper "made in china" rust collectors. Any good knives were priced too high.

I don't want to be unkind but the whole atmosphere seemed off and not the best. It made me think that anti-gun folks would look at that and think we're a bunch of gun hugging hicks.

I know it was only one show but it really turned me off. I can buy guns far cheaper, even paying a transfer fee to have them shipped.

I don't plan on going to another one around my area but if I'm ever in a different part of the country I might try it. I guess I don't like what I call "opportunistic" selling.

Gideon

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
When I go to a RK show although its under a different name now up in Fremont,Nebraska, The last one I went to a few yrs back had only 2 tables of guns and the rest flea-market items. I saw a friend of mine there that had a table and he told the show promoter that I was with him and didnt have to pay the ridculous prices to get in. Since then,I stopped going to all shows because you see the same thing time after time like you do at a gun store. I save my time and gas money for other things. richgp100z
The real show is put on by the Fremont Gun club, only twice a year, it's a good show, the other show (RK) tries to ride the coat tails of the gun clubs following. The RK show is known as the 3-T's show---tee-shirt, trail mix, and tool show.

Z

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I am with all you, over priced or junk in our neighborhood. But I did get some good ammo buys prior to 2007. Since then I have not bought anything except $5.00 to get in. However me and my Dad like to go to see whats going on, and we are glad to see we still have the freedom and our rights to go see how things are in our neck or the woods. Not as good as it used to be, but we still try to help as much as we can N.R.A.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I usually only go for reloading supplies. easier for me to go out to the fair grounds and pay $9 to get in and get my dies and stuff from space coast than driving 120 miles round trip to their store or ordering from dillon online. that and primers..sadly $30 seems to be a decent deal for a 1000 now a days

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
the shows are no different here although its nice to be able to handle so many different guns in one place...

i have found that some dealers regardless of the prices marked are willing to make some very good deals and have purchased 2 glocks at well below what any local dealer would discount them to and well below internet pricing...

the dealers are still riding the gun buying frenzy and there are plenty of people so hungry for a gun that they will just plop down whats asked for one without questioning it at all...

if you are not afraid to do some negotiating there are some great deal to be had...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts