Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a shirt that says "Police" and a hat that says "Police"..he likes to wear it when he open carrys because no one gives him crap...is this impersonating a police officer? Im affraid he will get into trouble..

·
Registered
12 Posts
I really dont think the shirt and hat are considered a uniform, but it wouldn't take much for a leo/court to say he was. Really i think he is asking for trouble that way, because all it takes is a hot head po-po to get pissy about it and cause major issues for him.

·
Registered
797 Posts
My friend has a shirt that says "Police" and a hat that says "Police"..he likes to wear it when he open carrys because no one gives him crap...is this impersonating a police officer? Im affraid he will get into trouble..

Very silly on his part, asking for trouble, I thought you did not know about open carry.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
My personal view of someone wearing a police hat/shirt without a badge, cuffs, radio, etc is that they are just a stupid punk that needs an ass kicking.

Cops don't wear cop stuff when they are off the clock, unless it's to cop functions off duty. When I do demos and training with LE I see the occasional " Undercover cop working on a case" text over a case of beer shirt or "Homicide: Our day starts when your day ends" shirts. Other than that nothing.

If he gets into trouble let him. It might wake him up to the realities of being a dumb ass.

·
Registered
797 Posts
My personal view of someone wearing a police hat/shirt without a badge, cuffs, radio, etc is that they are just a stupid punk that needs an ass kicking.

Cops don't wear cop stuff when they are off the clock, unless it's to cop functions off duty. When I do demos and training with LE I see the occasional " Undercover cop working on a case" text over a case of beer shirt or "Homicide: Our day starts when your day ends" shirts. Other than that nothing.

If he gets into trouble let him. It might wake him up to the realities of being a dumb ass.
Tubby, pour your heart out tell us how you really feel, we are all friends here, let it go don't hold back man.

Great post thanks,

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Just after I first read the original post I was talking on the phone with a personal friend who happens to be a LEO. Here in Eastpointe, he would be arrested and charged is what Tom tells me.
My own common sense would say that's not the brightest thing to do.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Around here I see a lot of Police Academy Class # shirts, Torch Run Shirts, Thin Blue Line gear, etc. Also see some, but less, FOP gear. I nearly always know or strongly suspect that they are worn by legit LEOs.

Could be a regional thing.

OTOH -- I agree that a hat, vest, or jacket with "Police" is over the line and asking for trouble.

·
Registered
77 Posts
So his intent is to have the general public assume that he is a police officer so that "no one gives him crap." Ask him what would he do if a misdemeanor (non-violent) situation occurs and some by stander looks, points at him and yells: "Hey, police! Get that BG! He just took that guy's laptop!" What is he going to say then? Um, I'm not the police? :rofl:

In our department our entry and SWAT teams usually wear shirts and hats that have "POLICE" on them.

If he continues, he'll learn one way or the other.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Weaing clothing with the intent is to impersonate a police officer for personal purposes. That's no different than someone flashing a fake police badge for personal purposes. I would say that is impersonating a police officer and could articulate that in court. That's a Class IV Felony where I live.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very silly on his part, asking for trouble, I thought you did not know about open carry.

I didnt, untill this site..thats why Icalled my buddy that lives about 30 mins from here to ask if he had..thats when he told me he does it in the "police shirt and hat..

·
Registered
276 Posts
The best tee I ever saw was on the internet and said something like: "Bomb Squad.........If you see me running try to keep up". I'd love to have one, but like most here, I think it would probably get me arrested.

·
Registered
319 Posts
So he wears items labed "Police" which he intends for others to believe he is in fact police so they'll leave him alone.
Here's Indiana's statute:

IC 35-44-2-3
Impersonation of a public servant
Sec. 3. A person who falsely represents that the person is a public servant, with intent to mislead and induce another person to submit to false official authority or otherwise to act to the other person's detriment in reliance on the false representation, commits impersonation of a public servant, a Class A misdemeanor.
However, a person who falsely represents that the person is:
(1) a law enforcement officer; or
(2) an agent or employee of the department of state revenue, and collects any property from another person;
commits a Class D felony.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Oh yea, He is looking for trouble. I would look to find new friends. There is a BIG diffrence between Leo's doing training and taking a break to eat lunch at the local eatery and dressing up as a leo so you dont catch crap. So when your friend gets arrested are you going to go bail him out? Does he drive around in a Crown Vic? Does he hang out in the mall? Does he have a CCW badge? Friends with Grecko45?

·
Registered
408 Posts
The best tee I ever saw was on the internet and said something like: "Bomb Squad.........If you see me running try to keep up". I'd love to have one, but like most here, I think it would probably get me arrested.
I saw one in Atlanta a few years ago that said CDC on the front chest and "If you see me run, you better run faster" on the back.
I think shirts like that are like the Female Body Inspector shirts that you see a lot of kids and older "kids" wearing. Everyone pretty much recognizes it as a novelty shirt.

Wearing a shirt and hat that just say POLICE? Stupid.

·
Administrator
143,948 Posts
I'll try to answer the OPs question minus all emotion.

Just the act of wearing a hat and/or a shirt with the words "POLICE" or "SHERIFF" or "FBI" - would not be considered impersonation of an officer. But, he should go undercover. :biggrin2:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I'll try to answer the OPs question minus all emotion.

Just the act of wearing a hat and/or a shirt with the words "POLICE" or "SHERIFF" or "FBI" - would not be considered impersonation of an officer.
QKShooter,
While I agree that the simple wearing of the clothing would not be, most state laws dealing with impersonation specify "intent". If he wears the items whle open carrying and has stated to friends (ie - the OP) that it "keeps people from messing with him", I think most any halfway intelligent LEO could articulate that as "intent" and get a conviction. He is, most definitely, guilty of Jackassery in the First Degree; Aggravated Asshatery; and multiple counts of Idiocy with Intent to be Stupid.
Gonzo

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
It is not uncommon to see people wearing caps or shirts that say NYC Police or something similar. I think doing so is foolish, but happily it is almost always obvious that it is just a costume.

However, when combined with open carry, there is way too much chance for misunderstanding and subsequent prosecution for impersonation.

Frankly, I doubt the reasonableness of an individual who would dress like that.

Gonzo wrote: "He is, most definitely, guilty of Jackassery in the First Degree; Aggravated Asshatery; and multiple counts of Idiocy with Intent to be Stupid."

Gonzo, thanks for providing the words I couldn't think of. Spot on there.

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts

My personal favorite, worn by an LEO I know:

"Caution: This officer may be too intense for some viewers."

Matt

1 - 20 of 57 Posts