Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a PA permit, but am looking to get a part time armed security job in MD. Chances? None? Move back to NH and start over?
Just trying to get things in line for the future.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
The ONLY way to get a Md. permit (at least when I lived there) was to be a business owner and get the permit to protect your money while you carried it to the bank. That or KNOW someone. Good luck.

Reactions: Melvin

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ONLY way to get a Md. permit (at least when I lived there) was to be a business owner and get the permit to protect your money while you carried it to the bank. That or KNOW someone. Good luck.
Thanks. That what I figured .... but armed security guards get them somehow. I was hoping to get a part-time job with an armed courier. I know of at least one that exists, but I haven't asked them if numerous security clearances & permits in other stats would mean crap. I'm pretty sure they're worse than MA; but I was working white collar and lived in NH (Free State) then.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
I know a VA resident handgun instructor who got an MD permit because he was offering concealed carry courses in MD. I don't think he actually did many of them, but the fact that he did some got him an exception. He said it was not easy to do though.

·
Registered
821 Posts
The only way that I can see getting a part time job as an armed security guard is have that job BEFORE you apply for the permit. Until then, you can not say that you need one because of your job.

As already mentioned, reach out to the security company and see if they can help. If you do not already have a specific security company lined up, but are still in the early phases of looking for that job, bring them into the discussion as soon as you have a company that is showing interest in giving you a position.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
If you are one an employer's premises in Maryland, do you have to have a permit to carry open or concealed. Wouldn't the fact that it is private property be sufficient for an employee to carry there while at work? How does the state of Maryland view this?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
If you are one an employer's premises in Maryland, do you have to have a permit to carry open or concealed. Wouldn't the fact that it is private property be sufficient for an employee to carry there while at work? How does the state of Maryland view this?
Yes, but you MUST have permission from the employer. AND you can only carry on company property.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
An employee's premises; I can pretty much they would fire you if they found out. Too much liability, they say. In Reno, several fellow s/w engineers carried, but left the sidearm locked in their cars. Wasn't uncommon to see people with holsters & full mag pouches (guess you could throw them at somebody). In the 2 years that I was there, nobody ever said a thing about it.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
An employee's premises; I can pretty much they would fire you if they found out. Too much liability, they say. In Reno, several fellow s/w engineers carried, but left the sidearm locked in their cars. Wasn't uncommon to see people with holsters & full mag pouches (guess you could throw them at somebody). In the 2 years that I was there, nobody ever said a thing about it.
I think I should have been more clear in my post. I was talking about a small business, say a hardware store or a jewelry store or a gun shop, where the owner could dictate whatever policy he desired. If he had no problem with either himself or his employees carrying while at work, how does that work in Maryland if one or several of those people have no permit?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I should have been more clear in my post. I was talking about a small business, say a hardware store or a jewelry store or a gun shop, where the owner could dictate whatever policy he desired. If he had no problem with either himself or his employees carrying while at work, how does that work in Maryland if one or several of those people have no permit?
A small business, I'd say it's the owners choice. If you don't have a permit? tough luck I'd guess. Gun store you may qualify. Same for jewelry. Doubt most other would.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts