Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a new belt from Hanks Clothing a couple weeks ago and have been wearing it with my MaxTuck. The issue I'm running into is I believe I am in between holes as far as sizing goes. One hole is makes it slightly too loose, while the next is slightly too tight. The obvious answer is to make a new hole, but given that this belt is a good, stiff belt, I want to do it correctly. So, what is the correct way to put a new hole into a good leather belt?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
You don't need a new hole. Just eat a double cheeseburger, fries, a shake and chase it down with an apple pie. Problem solved.

·
Banned
2,725 Posts
Get the bigger size unless very serious abt losing weight.....

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
Either eat more, or eat less. :danceban:

Most of the very thick belts have the holes drilled into them. It is unlikely you will find a leather punch that will work on 1/4" thick leather.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Sorry. I couldn't help myself.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
You can find a leather punch to put holes in thick leather. They do still make harness for horses that have to have holes in it.
In pinch you can take a regular nail, heat it, drive it thru one side then heat and drive back thru from the other side.

Or drill it with a drill. Or take it to a tack shop and let them punch the hole in it. Lota ways to put a hole in thick leather.:smile:

·
Registered
936 Posts
I used a small drill bit and a board to drill into so the bit went all the way thru... measure twice, drill once...

Reactions: Phaedrus and 65108

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Seriously...it's was a good motivator for me on my gun belt. Lose the weight...you won't be sorry in the least bit. Plus putting in an extra hole in via drill or ice pick or hole punch is gonna look goofy on a perfectly good belt especially after you either lose the weight or gain it with that cheeseburger diet (that post above was funny...I don't care who you are!).

·
Registered
936 Posts
if you're carrying in the waist it may be a perfeict fit, could also buy a bigger gun and holster

Reactions: commonground

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had no idea there was a leather place so close. I'll definitely give them a look.

As for losing weight, I have a little bit to lose, but not much. I'm 6'1" 190lbs. right now, but used to be 230. I've worked extremely hard to get where I am now, and am really happy with the way I look now. Like I said, I've got a little more to lose, but that last little bit is always the toughest.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
Dayumm! I'll go with Option B, please!:danceban:

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Whatever you choose to do on this belt, consider on all future belts the idea of having an extra hole made and the holes made closer together. Some makers offer this as an option. Helps avoid the issue in the first place.

Example: The Belt Man, 1.5" bull hide, with options for 5-hole 1" spacing or 7-hole 3/4" spacing. I've had three of these and wouldn't do it any other way (the closer spacing).

·
Registered
249 Posts
Seriously ... if you don't have a "good" hole punch take your belt to
a shoe repair shop. The cobbler will put a hole where it needs to be
for a few bucks.

Reactions: Lotus222

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had no idea there was a leather place so close. I'll definitely give them a look.

As for losing weight, I have a little bit to lose, but not much. I'm 6'1" 190lbs. right now, but used to be 230. I've worked extremely hard to get where I am now, and am really happy with the way I look now. Like I said, I've got a little more to lose, but that last little bit is always the toughest.
There's your motivation, walk/run that extra mile today

1 - 20 of 39 Posts