Defensive Carry banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any paperwork involved when aquiring a firearm by inheritance?

In specific, a fella dies in PA.(Where I presume that it is registered), and his daughter (Who lives in MD.) receives his handgun. What proceedures, if any, need to followed to make the firearm legal?

And while we're at it, how about a Class Three Weapon? I'm sure that there are regulations there.

Thanks for any/all responses.

~<:Sssssssssssnake/""

·
Registered
335 Posts
Checking online, I found this regarding Maryland.

Maryland does not regulate the sale of rifles or shotguns and no permit is required to purchase a rifle or shotgun.

Maryland does regulate the sale, transfer, rent and possession of regulated firearms, which consist of handguns and assault weapons. A person who is not a regulated firearms dealer may not sell, rent, transfer, or purchase any regulated firearm without going through a regulated firearms dealer. Alternatively, the prospective seller/transferor and prospective buyer/transferee may complete the transaction through a designated law enforcement agency.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
If you live in a different state, I'm sure a FFL will have to be involved. Regarding Class III, It has to specifically be mentioned in the decedents will by make model
and serial number. The heir will need ATF approval to take possession. The administrator of the estate retains possession until ATF gives approval and the returned forms will be received by him (administrator). The heir may then take possession. Fortunately a class III inheiretence is tax free.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
There is no registration in PA. Only a partial sales database kept by the state police that is supposed to be destroyed but isn't.

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
If you live in FL and the gun is in FL, just pick it up and take it home in FL...:yup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts