Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Return to Makin Island iPod Version - YouTube

Makin Island

A true story about 19 marines killed on an island (defending against the Japanese). They had to retreat, so they askedthe islanders to please bury them for us. Years later, they checked and found a man who had been a teenager during the war and remembered where they were buried. The marines sent a C130 and an honor guard to the island and found all 19 marines who had been buried with their helmets on, their rifles in their hands, in perfect condition. The islanders had really done a wonderful job.

As they were loading the bodies, a voice from out of nowhere started singing "The Marine Hymn"..........which gave everyone goose bumps. Turns out, the voice was from the man who spoke no English but remembered a song the Marines taught him when they landed.

Very touching. They got all 19 and their photos are at the end. This of course was WW2!

IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THIS - THIS HAS THOSE GESTURES FOR WHICH THERE ARE NO WORDS.

This is amazing. Please, take the time to watch.

Return to Makin Island iPod Version - YouTube

·
Super Moderator
18,531 Posts
Very touching, thanks for posting.

·
Super Moderator
22,322 Posts
Thanks, well worth watching.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
It gives one pause...or at least it does for me. Every time I complain about something(like a bad tooth on a holiday weekend), I have something like this to reflect on, keep myself in check, and realize in the grand scheme of things I have NOTHING to complain about and everything to give thanks for.

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
Thanks Patti. Somber reminder.

RIP and Semper Fi.

Course afterwards I had to watch the Silent Drill Team as well, and some cadences .....

·
Registered
922 Posts
Wonderful thread. I find it fitting that they buried the Marines with rifles in hand.

·
Super Moderator
50,611 Posts
A great post!:yup::hand9:

It seems to be getting a bit misty in here...

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Great way to kick off the Memorial Day weekend. Thanks for posting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts