Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that this cannot be answered factually or that anyone here can tell the future, I'm actually just looking for experience from the 1994 AWB. I was 8 years old in 1994, I have no idea the ins and outs of how everything was legislated, so I am asking this question to people that have more experience...

If in fact the same, or similar ban happens again, WHAT happens with the "assault style weapons" that I already own? My ar15s, my 30 round p mags, ect...

I know nobody knows what will pass or what will not, I'm just curious of what happened before. Do I get to keep my things? Can I not take them to the range anymore? Am I good, I just can't buy new things? Are spare parts still OK for sale?

I'm just trying to wrap my head around what might happen.

Thank you in advance, look forward to people that may have owned an AR15 in 1993.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
I didn't own a AR back then But I stocked up on my 30 round mags for my M-1 carbine Which I still own . As I remember you could keep what you owned . Just make sure Mc Connell gets a ear full about no buckling to Obama and get on with life.

That 1994 stuff not going to fly this time. I wouldn't get to worried about it.

·
Registered
10,297 Posts
I remember what happened with magazines - anything already out there was "grandfathered in" and was legal to own and sell. So you could still find magazines over ten rounds, but they were very expensive due to scarcity. I remember finding mags for the Sigma I had at the time at gun shows; ten-rounders in production were about $20, the "out-of-print" 17 round mags were about $75.

Reactions: Aceoky and msgt/ret

·
Registered
388 Posts
With those weenies nothing is a sure thing. Put pressure on them. They've got to feel OUR heat! ��

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I suspect that the only way they are going to have a realistic chance to pass a new AWB will be to include a grandfather clause. I also believe that to the Dems, the prospect of winning back the Senate is more important than gun control. I think we will see alot of saber rattling but I don't think they will risk the hubbub over an AWB until such a time as they win back majority control. I think that "if" the Dems win majority control and also have a Dem President at the helm, its a done deal. If they do it, I expect that it will have NO sunset clause. If it happens, I think the political fight will not be over its existence but over grandfathering those guns currently in lawful possession.

·
Registered
935 Posts
The last time it was tried the ones in charge changed hands. The first one was with the Brits, the last one was the democrats, they lost power after that move. Time will tell, but I don't see it happening.

·
Registered
637 Posts
The 1989 ban in California required registration of Armalite and Colt AR-15's and AK47 type rifles. Also, you couldn't buy any more "hi-capacity" magazines. Bushmasters were still legal since the ban required naming the manufacturer.

My point? - Each ban is different so nobody can predict what will happen at this time.

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
There was an anti-gun op/ed in USA Today yesterday written by a retired Army officer. His recommendation (which I'm sure is de facto endorsed by USA Today and probably inspiredd by anti-gun groups) is no military-style rifles at all. Five round limit on all rifles and shotguns and an eight round limit on handguns. His logic is that the need to reload will give defenders a chance to jump the BG. He is also, or course, for UBCs. If you look at DC and MD, they have 10-round limits on everything. I think that's the direction they're going and I have to wonder how many more mass shootings it will take to pressure even a Republican Congress to do some sort of a ban.

I think it's ironic, and subtly racist, that inner city violence can claim thousands of lives every year, but that doesn't get the anti-gunners fired up like a mass shooting where there is a high white body count. Mass shooting are tradgedies, but statistically rare. Inner city violence is day-in and day-out.

I gotta say, the possibility of a ban is starting to influence my thinking on my future purchases. I don't want to put money into a gun that's going to be banned or registered.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
jmf, any new restriction on capacity will most surely be like the 94 awb, with a grandfather clause. The powers that be will be hard pressed to create criminals overnight who own higher capacity mags and firearms presently. You can't just ban 3-5 million privately owned rifles and thus make millions of criminals, overnight.

·
Banned
3,343 Posts
The internment of Japanese Americans in the United States during World War II was the forced relocation and incarceration in camps in the interior of the country of between 110,000 and 120,000 people of Japanese ancestry who had lived on the Pacific coast. Sixty-two percent of the internees were United States citizens
Not to dispute good buddy Az, but... :sad face:, :happy face:

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
jmf, any new restriction on capacity will most surely be like the 94 awb, with a grandfather clause. The powers that be will be hard pressed to create criminals overnight who own higher capacity mags and firearms presently. You can't just ban 3-5 million privately owned rifles and thus make millions of criminals, overnight.
I hope you're right, but they've done similar things in NY and CT. Most people didn't comply, so they did create a lot of alleged felons. And I feel that there are no bounds on what the Hildebeast might try. She has endorsed the Australian solution, for heaven's sake. The NRA says there are over 30,000 infringements to 2A across the country when the Constitution says there should not be any. I am no tin-foil hatter, but I guess I am just not as trusting as you of what the government is capable of.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I think it's ironic, and subtly racist, that inner city violence can claim thousands of lives every year, but that doesn't get the anti-gunners fired up like a mass shooting where there is a high white body count. Mass shooting are tradgedies, but statistically rare. Inner city violence is day-in and day-out.
Have you taken a look at the photos and names of the people killed in the Orlando night club? Very few were White. The vast majority were Hispanic names, many of the photos were of Black people.

The problems in the inner cities are much more complicated than just racism. Just because the TV says it is racism does not make it true.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
I hope you're right, but they've done similar things in NY and CT. Most people didn't comply, so they did create a lot of alleged felons. And I feel that there are no bounds on what the Hildebeast might try. She has endorsed the Australian solution, for heaven's sake. The NRA says there are over 30,000 infringements to 2A across the country when the Constitution says there should not be any. I am no tin-foil hatter, but I guess I am just not as trusting as you of what the government is capable of.
The dems couldn't get the awb passed without grandfathering and a sunset clause in 94. The tide is further in our favor than in 94. I consider past performance to be a rough indicator of what the dems CAN get passed, not what they want to make law.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
"One has not only a legal but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Reactions: nlyric and Phaedrus

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
Have you taken a look at the photos and names of the people killed in the Orlando night club? Very few were White. The vast majority were Hispanic names, many of the photos were of Black people.

The problems in the inner cities are much more complicated than just racism. Just because the TV says it is racism does not make it true.
I should have added "white, or in some protected demographic..." I have never heard the mainstream media say gun contol is racist. I say it is.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
The Bush-Clinton ban in the 90's only affected the sale of new mags to civilians. All of the ones you already had were fine. Plus mags marked for LE use were still sold to LE regardless of capacity. I got my CCW permit well before the ban came along and stocked up on mags for my BHP...I think I have 20 mags for it by now.

Of course this doesn't mean a future ban would work the same way. In the present climate I don't think any new bans will gain traction.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts