Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Indiana — Indiana Attorney General put out an Opinion stating that under Indiana Code, a city, county, or other political subdivision is prohibited from restricting the sale of firearms during an emergency declaration.
https://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/agopinions/INAGopinionCantStopFirearmsSalesDuringEmergency.pdf

Virginia - Effective July 1. Legislation has been signed that adds Stun Guns to weapons that those with a Valid Permit/License to Carry can carry them while on school property without unloading and securing it as long as they don’t exit the vehicle with it. This was been allowed for firearms previously. You can view the bill at
https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?201+ful+SB173ER+pdf

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is proposing changing the rules for carrying legal firearms on their property. Here is a little of what they want to change and there is more info at the link below.
Specifically, the proposed revision would remove the requirement that an individual obtain written permission before possessing a weapon on a Corps project, which is a requirement except when the possession occurs for certain authorized recreation purposes. In doing so, the revised regulation would permit an individual to possess a weapon and associated ammunition when the possession both complies with the Federal, state, and local law where the project is located, and the individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the weapon. This change would reduce the burden on the public by eliminating the requirement to obtain written permission before possessing a weapon, but it would not change the fact that individuals already may, at present, possess weapons on Corps projects if they receive appropriate permission.
https://www.regulations.gov/docket?D=COE-2018-0008

Handgunlaw.us — is assembling a list of Safe Storage/Access by Minors statute/s for each state. We are going to add this to the Airport Carry/Misc. Information Section on each states page. Handgunlaw.us would appreciate you looking at the PDF file at
https://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/Storage_Laws.pdf
and give us your feedback or any omissions/errors/etc that we have so far. Everyone should be aware that some Access to Minors or Prohibited persons can be easily overlooked in some situations. Some states, with hearing about Colorado the most, have cited people with a permit for having a firearm in a vehicle Glove box etc (perfectly legal) but that was within reach of a Minor or Prohibited person in the front seat. Handgunlaw.us recommends keeping the firearm out of prohibited persons reach in a vehicle at all times and not just where it can be illegal. We have looked at the different states statutes but sometimes these types of statutes are not found in the gun laws of the state but in other areas and overlooked. Thank you for any assistance you can give us in our search for more info on this subject. [email protected]

Handgunlaw.us - We have also added a half dozen Drills and five Standards to our listing of Handgun Drills and Standards in the last 6 months. They can be accessed with a link in the lower left column at www.handgunlaw.us There are also a couple links to other sites at the top of the Drills Document that go to other listings of Drills. If you are looking for Drills to practice or what Qualifications different groups us these two Documents will give you what you are looking for. I thought I had added the MAG 40/80 Qualification as I have attended both those classes by Massad Ayoob. That was back in the last century when it was called LFI. Bragging on myself now but I do have 2 one dollar bills signed by Mas. Those who have attended any of his classes will know what that means. I got those two bills shooting a S&W 3913/14 which has been my main carry gun for 30+ years. NEVER has there been a better CCW firearm made!! That should get some fiery feedback! LOL Everyone has their favorite firearm that is the better than anything else’s!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Gary, that's great news that the COE is reconsidering whether to allow concealed carry on their managed properties. That affects me personally near my home, so I really hope they reverse their rules.

Thanks for reporting this. I had not heard it.

Edit: I for sure will be sending them an email as a part of public comments.

·
Registered
33,980 Posts
I won't disagree that any 3rd Gen S&W is on the top of the list of best carry guns ever. My 6906 agrees.

Reactions: Nmuskier

·
Registered
488 Posts
Gary, that's great news that the COE is reconsidering whether to allow concealed carry on their managed properties. That affects me personally near my home, so I really hope they reverse their rules.

Thanks for reporting this. I had not heard it.

Edit: I for sure will be sending them an email as a part of public comments.
I want to not have to disarm at Jordan Lake either.

·
Premium Member
33,776 Posts
I won't disagree that any 3rd Gen S&W is on the top of the list of best carry guns ever. My 6906 agrees.
My 1006 is a bit of a load when in comes to concealed carry. Doable, but a load.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I thought I had added the MAG 40/80 Qualification as I have attended both those classes by Massad Ayoob. That was back in the last century when it was called LFI. Bragging on myself now but I do have 2 one dollar bills signed by Mas. Those who have attended any of his classes will know what that means. I got those two bills shooting a S&W 3913/14 which has been my main carry gun for 30+ years. NEVER has there been a better CCW firearm made!! That should get some fiery feedback! LOL Everyone has their favorite firearm that is the better than anything else’s!
Gary, I do know what that means, congratulations. Now its my turn to brag a little :yup: I have a $5 and $1 dollar bill. The $5 dollar bill was from the LFI class that I did, I used my duty gun a SIG P226. We both shot perfect scores and someone asked "how do you break a tie" Marty Hayes, FAS's founder and sponsor for the class suggested "measure the groups" - mine was a bit tighter so Mas graciously signed the $5 bill for me.

The $1 bill I got when I shot the qualification at an LFI class that I was working as a safety officer for him up in the NW.

My $5 bill form Mas and my "E" ticket from Col. Cooper are two of my most valued possessions from my firearms journey.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Orive 8,

Congrats on the $5 Bill and the E Ticket from Col. Cooper. You have every right to be very proud of your accomplishments!!!! I tried my best but couldn't stay with Mas. Best I did was 4th in my MAG40 class. Not sure where I finished in the MAG80 class as he didn't announce the top 5 or maybe he did and I didn't make is so wasn't interested!!!! LOL. Marty is a great guy. Sounds like him to come up with the way to break the tie. Never got to shoot with the Col. Also not that far from you. Just below Wheeling 40 miles. Drive thru Bridgeville all the time going to Butler PA where my wife of 41+ years is from.

For those who don't know what an E Ticket from the Col. Cooper is here is a cut and paste from The Gunsite Story: The certificates awarded upon course completion came in four varieties. Those who attended but did not perform well received a Certificate of Completion. The certificate for those who did okay was marked “Marksman” and a Marksman First Class or M1 certificate was presented to those who were especially good shots. The Expert certificate or “E-Ticket” was bestowed only to those who demonstrated the highest level of proficiency with a defensive handgun. Then and now, no one questions the validity of a Gunsite certificate.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Gary,
We will have to get together and do a little shooting and trade stories about our firearms training experiences after this crazy period gets done.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is one of the reasons they want the rule change. Not sure if it is Trump wanting to do away with some regs or that the District Commanders were getting so many requests that they didn't want to mess with it any more.

Individuals are required under the current regulation to submit a letter to the District Commander requesting approval to carry a weapon. If finalized, this proposal would remove that requirement. One of the benefits of this rule would thus be the savings associated with that removal. The Corps estimates these savings to be $2,340.

https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=COE-2018-0008-0001 Link to reasons for the change and what the changes will be.

·
Registered
33,980 Posts
Gary, your link for the Storage PDF file is coming up 404-not found, at least for me.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Orive 8
Would you send me an email at [email protected] so I can have an email address for you. Then I could contact you when this mess is over. Don't believe it will be awhile for me as I am in the wrong group to get out and about and will be the last one the Government will let out of their room!!!!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Thank you Gary about the CORPS proposed rule change. Sent the information on to John Monroe, VP of GeorgiaCarry.Org and he has already submitted comment. GCO sued them in 2014 and lost, then appealed and was awaiting ruling when CORPS agreed to let Georgians with WCL submit for letters of permission to be able to carry of COE lands.

This will be great if they change the law.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is proposing changing the rules for carrying legal firearms on their property. Here is a little of what they want to change and there is more info at the link below.
Specifically, the proposed revision would remove the requirement that an individual obtain written permission before possessing a weapon on a Corps project, which is a requirement except when the possession occurs for certain authorized recreation purposes. In doing so, the revised regulation would permit an individual to possess a weapon and associated ammunition when the possession both complies with the Federal, state, and local law where the project is located, and the individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the weapon. This change would reduce the burden on the public by eliminating the requirement to obtain written permission before possessing a weapon, but it would not change the fact that individuals already may, at present, possess weapons on Corps projects if they receive appropriate permission.
https://www.regulations.gov/docket?D=COE-2018-0008
There's just a few more days to make comment on this. There are over 3000 comments so far, mostly supportive. The more the merrier.

Reactions: graydude

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
There's just a few more days to make comment on this. There are over 3000 comments so far, mostly supportive. The more the merrier.
Wow - the number of comments is now over 8000. Looks like Firearm Policy Coalition launched a major commenting drive.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts