Defensive Carry banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Wow - the number of comments is now over 8000. Looks like Firearm Policy Coalition launched a major commenting drive.
That's awesome. I'm hoping the Corps decides to go the way of the National Park Service.

Just an FYI for anyone who might be directly affected by the current Corps prohibition... I was not aware that you could just ask for permission to carry on their properties. Back when this proposed rule change came out several weeks ago, I found this out. I wrote the District Commander for my area and requested permission to carry on Corps properties. About three weeks later, I got a letter in the mail granting me that permission. I can now carry at my local state park and a couple other places that affect me. I wish I had known that a couple years ago.

One of the places that affects me is a local county park that is along our Corps lake. The county forbids firearms there, but only because of the Corps restriction. Now when we go hiking there, I can carry, as the state's preemption law requires the county to allow me to carry in their parks.

Just something to consider if you have Corps properties near you that you use.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I believe that the rule change came about because it become better known that you could ask the district commander and get permission. I think they got flooded with requests and didn't want to mess with it anymore. It was an inconvenience to them! It was a huge inconvenience to us who wanted to protect ourselves and our families.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I believe that the rule change came about because it become better known that you could ask the district commander and get permission. I think they got flooded with requests and didn't want to mess with it anymore. It was an inconvenience to them! It was a huge inconvenience to us who wanted to protect ourselves and our families.
You're probably right. I sure wish I had known a couple years ago. I had been leaving my EDC home every time we go camping at our local state park. And that is a few times each year. I did not want to risk a felony. I didn't realize it was so simple to make that legal.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I am especially very thankful to see progress with the status of US Army Corps of Engineers land.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
The comment period ended Friday. They had a total of 8,375 comments. Now let's hope the comments were enough to persuade them to change their rules.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts