Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering where people carry their gun in the vehicle. Do you have a specific gun that you keep in your car and then another that you carry with you ?

Right now I keep a S&W 9mm in my trcuk under my center fold down console and keep the new Sig 229 at home for when I go out with the wife from home. Otherwise I carry the S&W for stuff when I am running errends for the wife on the way home.

What about everybody else?

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
I carry one of my 1911's at all times. In the trunk of my car is my Mossberg.

As Clint Smith said, "The only purpose for a handgun in a fight is to fight your way to the rifle or shotgun you should have had in the first place."

·
Administrator
143,809 Posts
Hi crookcatchr

I edited your thread title in order to make it more "user search friendly" ~ You'll get some very qualified answers to your questions on this forum. Stay Safe! :yup:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Actually almost all time carry piece is carry piece - always on me, same place.

I do tho as I cinch my seat belt pull it fwd a bit to 3 o'clock (belt slide OWB), which leaves it adequately accessible. On odd occasions, maybe sometimes if Mrs with me - I put SP-101 in center console or glove box.

I do have a Papoose tho which ''lives'' in its pouch under back seat - but that is not there so much for any SD as availability for small critters now and again.! 870 has been known to ''keep it company''.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I carry a 1911 but don't have another specific vehicle firearm. Years ago, I'd put a riot gun in the car or truck if I thought I was going somewhere "unsafe." These days, if I think a place is that dangerous, I just don't go. I'm not sure I have the skills or the health to fight my way to my vehicle to then get it open and get a bigger gun running.
At home - exactly what acparmed's quote says - we have riot guns and big rifles around because it's MY house and if I have a problem, I want the biggest solution I can have.

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
I wear my handgun, the S&W 12 ga. stays in the truck as a long gun for proper defense.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I keep my carry piece at the 1:30-2:00 position when I am out and about. In that position, I can easily draw from a seated position in my truck with the seatbelt on.

·
Registered
563 Posts
My 3" 1911 is always on my hip. I just don't trust the "security" of locking my Jeep enough to always keep something in it. Specially in the summer. A/C is broke, and it would "total" the value of the vehicle to get it fixed. So in the summer the windows are always down. The key switch is so worn out that it doesn't take the keys to start anymore. (That thing is so ugly, only a truly desperate person would try to steal it.) If someone did steal it, I'd be more troubled over loosing what was in it than loosing the vehicle. (Though I would miss that old truck.)

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
These guys make a nice vehicle rig that you mount under the dash by your leg.

I also don't carry a vehicle gun, I have no problem drawing out of my Max-Con V. I would however consider this option especially on a trip or something.

http://www.grassburr.com/custom-leather-products.ASP

Ti.

·
Registered
950 Posts
How do you guys do it. I would love to carry my 1911 at all times, but I fight it hard to even slide my holster far enough forward to grab my 38 while seated. It just seems to dig in. I think being able to do this provides a great advantage because you don't have to worry about taking it on and off so much unless you are going into places that forbid carry by law. Anybody got pics or further suggestions. I need my pistol on me at all times.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Blue - I have to admit much must depend on vehicle being considered.

I sometimes forget that in my Silverado - with seat well back and backrest tilted back a bit too - I am sitting in such a way that I can draw - even with center console close by.

OTOH - some cars I can imagine are real tricky - big seat bolsters sometimes and low seating position. My wife's Jeta I know would make my draw double difficult.

I think we have to individually work within our vehicle restrictions - and I know if I had not got the relative ease I have from being in pickup - I'd have some place to put gun while mobile - putting it back in rig on stopping and before getting out. I can tuck mine down between seat and console - that might be handy for some - others may be better off with an in-car holster fitted discretely where, again - they can place gun for trip duration.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice information all. Thanks.

I don't really see how you all carry all the time unless you are Law Enforcement or have a job that requires it. Me on the other had, I am SOL for carrying all the time. Most days the only time that I am armed is when I am in my truck and that is to and from work. But on the weekends, I am always armed.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I don't really see how you all carry all the time unless you are Law Enforcement or have a job that requires it.
catchr - in my own case it is down to a few helpful factors. First of which is PA carry is very flexible - we are essentially keeping away from fed property, school, and courthouse carry.

Add to that in my case, being home much of time, working (playing!) from office here, and when I do go out, it is rarely to a non-carry site and so - I can 16/7 almost exclusively.

I relish that - it suits my dedication to the whole concept of CCW.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I can carry all the time because it's fine at my job and, of course, no problem at home. I really do not go places where I can't carry unless some circumstance would demand it e.g. jury duty.
I carry a 3" 1911 in a Milt Sparks holster, either an EX or VM2 - or an Alessi PCH. All of these cant the gun where I can reach it even when seated in a vehicle. Yes, a couple of big vehicles, Ford and Dodge trucks, but also a newer style Ford Thunderbird - and I checked that I could reach the gun before I purchased the car. I also carry a little Kel-Tec, but I don't expect that I could get it out of my pocket when in that little Thunderbird....
I believe from my experience that when you take something like a 1911 in an IWB holster and first put it on, you'll notice it all the time. And, it sure may not be comfortable. But, day 2 it's a bit better, etc. After a year, in my case anyway, I truly don't notice it at all. It's just a feeling on my right side from the grip pushing in.
Sorry.. didn't mean to write a novel. Got rambling. Even put my dog to sleep.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My previous employeer would have had a fit if I carried while on the job. Local department store working in Loss Prevention. Yes I wanted to carry to help protect myself, but company policy was no Firearms. The did not like for us to have them in our cars while on company property, but they got over that real quick. Plus my boss was a family friend and she understood that I was not going to leave my gun at home.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
In addtion to my EDC, I keep a .357 in the center console and If I'm doing something "oudoors" (camping, hiking, etc.) I'll throw my 12-gauge in the trunk. My main reason for carrying an extra handgun is speed of deployment. I drive a Grand Prix GT with the "bucket" type seats. Trying to draw from an IWB is difficult to say the least. I've found that it's faster to go for the one in the console.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I carry a 3" 1911 also (IWB). again big ford truck so lil issues with drawing.
when i hafta secure it in the vehicle ("no guns" site), aside from spending the money for a lock box which i will eventually buy to install in it, i use a gun cable lock and secure it to the seat structure. then drop the key in my pocket. these cable locks are free from yer local PD. i believe its called "project gunsafe" that gives PD's all over the country these things free to hand out.
when i took my ccw class they had boxes of'em and told us to take all we wanted. so it took 5 or 6. put one in every vehicle i own and the extra keys in my toolbox at home. god forbid i lost the key while out i'd still have an extra one.
i don't trust any glovebox/console lock for securing an expensive weapon when i'm not there to oversee it.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Gun stays in holster. If I go to class (no carry) I leave in underneath the tray in my center console.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Pocket holster holds my P3AT 16x7. Depending on what I'm doing, I may add something larger, in a smartcarry rig.

At work, there's no official policy that I'm aware of, and I'm sure not going to bring the subject up. The owner knows I have a permit. He asked me once if I was carrying, I said 'unless someone tries to kill me, you'll never know'. He hasn't asked anymore.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts