Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Banned
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally calmed down after an incident at the range yesterday.

scenario: I'm load testing at 100 yard and the range goes cold, So I get up go down range and start stapling new targets up and BANG! the round missed me by about 10 feet.

I instantly turned and ran full boar at the dude who's screaming "I'm sorry I didn't mean to" I get to him and grab him by his shirt with all intentions of beating his teeth out of his skull but there were children there and I didn't want to make it worse so my brain was right this time. I wanted to beat this dude to an inch of his life as he keeps screaming he didn't mean to. I turned to look at everyone on the range and said "this is why you open the action and leave your weapon alone when the range is cold. Luckily no one was hurt and a very valuable lesson is learned" the dude that fired at me on accident packed up and left right after that.

One dad was there told me that he wouldn't of handled it that way.

I still cant believe that happened

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
You certainly had a right to be PO'd, but you gotta control the anger. Verbals are fine but when you grabbed the guy the shirt events could have spiraled out of control. And *you* would have been the aggressor...But I understand how you could have been so angry - letting a round fly when you are down range is inexcusable.

I'm always wary when I'm at a range. I've been swept several times and it scares the bejeezus out of me, even if the lane dividers are ballistic glass. I usually ask for a lane with the wall on my right. That's one less person I need to watch out for. Most people are right handed so they tend turn left when manipulating the firearm...

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Guy was an idiot no question about it. No defense for what he did.

Just a thought. Running full bore up to and grabbing an armed person in a threatening manner who is obviously scared of you and has just done one idiotic thing might provoke that person to totally lose it and blow you away before you reached him????

Not saying that you shouldnt have been angry or incensed or any excuse for the goofball you charged. Just a little food for thought that a person badly frightened of you and a bit of an idiot anyway might have shot you out of fear???? Right or wrong?

A scared person is more dangerous with a gun than any BG youll meet up with. Right or not ehhh dead is dead.
Hope you never have this problem again. Shouldnt have this time.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
So I finally calmed down after an incident at the range yesterday.

scenario: I'm load testing at 100 yard and the range goes cold, So I get up go down range and start stapling new targets up and BANG! the round missed me by about 10 feet.

I instantly turned and ran full boar at the dude who's screaming "I'm sorry I didn't mean to" I get to him and grab him by his shirt with all intentions of beating his teeth out of his skull but there were children there and I didn't want to make it worse so my brain was right this time. I wanted to beat this dude to an inch of his life as he keeps screaming he didn't mean to. I turned to look at everyone on the range and said "this is why you open the action and leave your weapon alone when the range is cold. Luckily no one was hurt and a very valuable lesson is learned" the dude that fired at me on accident packed up and left right after that.

One dad was there told me that he wouldn't of handled it that way.

I still cant believe that happened
Re: First part in bold, that's assault and very nearly assault and battery. Just because you were angry doesn't give you the
right to do that to someone else. The stuff about children being around has nothing to do with anything. You either know how
and when to control your anger or you don't.

Second part in bold. The other dad is right.

What happened shouldn't have, but of course the guy didn't try to off you and you knew that much. Stuff happens.
You almost made it a lot worse for yourself than necessary. If you actually punched him out, you'd lose your
CHL etc., or worse.

No excuse on either side.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have left a range many times because I see people mishandling firearms, sweeping the whole range and just generally poor trigger discipline.

I had a friend who some friends and i introduced to shooting point a shotgun at my stomach in a joking manner. I smacked the shotgun out of his hand and lifted him off the ground by his throat and told him if he ever did it agin it would be the last thing he did.

Needless to say he took gun safety very seriously after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Re: First part in bold, that's assault and very nearly assault and battery. Just because you were angry doesn't give you the
right to do that to someone else. The stuff about children being around has nothing to do with anything. You either know how
and when to control your anger or you don't.

Second part in bold. The other dad is right.

What happened shouldn't have, but of course the guy didn't try to off you and you knew that much. Stuff happens.
You almost made it a lot worse for yourself than necessary. If you actually punched him out, you'd lose your
CHL etc., or worse.

No excuse on either side.
Well I'm pretty sure that discharging a firearm in the general direction of another human being is a much worse crime than assault.

You shoot a gun ten feet from a cop.. even at a range... and then youll be able to tell me how a body bag feels or your inmate number..

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
that is freaking scary, bro. Most importantly glad you are OK. God was looking out for you. As for the other guy...he will never forget it either and hopefully will take his gun/range safety/focus to the level all of our lives demand. It'll be a while before he's back at the range.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
Well I'm pretty sure that discharging a firearm in the general direction of another human being is a much worse crime than assault.

You shoot a gun ten feet from a cop.. even at a range... and then youll be able to tell me how a body bag feels or your inmate number..

Uh, one was an act of negligence with NO consequence. The other was a deliberate and intentional assault.
Big difference.

Now, had that bullet struck PIMKing there would be a whole other set of issues which could possibly include
murder 1 if a DA thought they guy used the range as a place to get away with offing someone. But, that's not
what happened.

·
Premium Member
3,841 Posts
You have every reason to be furious, God knows I would have been; but I agree that the moment you touched him it became assault and battery. Different states have different rules for defending the charge and IMHO you had cause, but you need to be careful. Personally, I would rather not leave such a decision to a jury.

This is the reason that I almost never use public ranges, especially if there are a lot of people I don't know present - there are too many people who just aren't careful enough.

·
Premium Member
3,841 Posts
Uh, one was an act of negligence with NO consequence. The other was a deliberate and intentional assault.
Big difference.

Now, had that bullet struck PIMKing there would be a whole other set of issues which could possibly include
murder 1 if a DA thought they guy used the range as a place to get away with offing someone. But, that's not
what happened.
It was certainly negligent in layman's terms, but legally you would have to prove harm to sue or press charges. I suppose you have psychological damage, but you would have a hard time making it stick.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I sometimes am nervous at ranges too, because there is simply so much firepower, in such close quarters, and you just never know how careful and responsible the people around you are at any given time. Glad you are ok, and no real harm was done.

You had the right to be PO'd (and that guy should have been ejected and not return) but you gotta keep your composure and take the high road when firearms are involved. You probably took it too far...

No mater what the circumstances, if I don't feel safe, respected, or otherwise comfortable at a range, I just pack up and go as quietly as I can.... Live to shoot another day, free of being shot, in jail, or otherwise on the edge of ugliness. Or probably most importantly, seen as a bad practicioner of our sport and right that has come under fire lately.

Not worth it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Big difference.

what happened.
Test that theory next time you see a cop. Shoot at the ground ten feet from him and tell me if he lets you go because it was 'negligence'.

Putting his hands on him may not have been the right choice but don't act like you would just blow it off if this had happened to you.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.