Defensive Carry banner

Incredible Shooting

2K views 25 replies 23 participants last post by  CaptGrizz 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Is humbling. I have a few 1/2-inch 5-shot groups fired at 100 yards from a heavy barrel .220 Swift and one that may be completely covered by the mouth of a .38 Special case. Wagner beat that at six times the distance!!!

Reactions: G-man* and OD*
#6 ·
I've got a number of decent 1/2-inch groupings at 100yds, too, as well as several 200yd 1in groupings. But I can't imagine what it'd take for me to do a 0.35" grouping at 600yds.

AccurateShooter (6mmBR) is a humbling site, to be sure. Lots of great info there, about all the various cartridges, rifles, loading formulas, techniques and stories about what it takes to shoot well. I'm rarely so silent as when I'm perusing just one little bit of all the stuff that's over there.

#10 ·
My personal best was with a Ruger 77 "sporter" with a regular barrel and meticulously put together hand loads using a Sierra 55 BTHP Match in 223. I was able to get 3/8 of an inch for a 5 shot group at a 100 yards.

However, that took me weeks of trial and error with my hand loads. I must have tried a hundred combinations with bullets, powders, weights, primers, and seating depths.

It was a lot of fun. But this guy Wagner is in a different class altogether.

#11 ·
Even on a perfect day with perfect shooting conditions, that's amazing. I'm a happy camper with under 1" with my Rem 700 and 788 at 100 yards.

#16 ·
Mr. Wagner just wasn't given a complete nervous system or something. Groups like that at that distance are just super-human!

I'd love to sit down with the gentleman and pick his brain over his bench rest techniques.

Reactions: OD*
#19 ·
My personal best was hitting four consecutive beer bottles sitting on an old washing machine at 77 yards - with open sights on a 4" Ruger MkII. :yup:

#25 ·
Third of an inch (dime-sized) group at 600yds for 5rds, eh?

I've done three-fourths of an inch 3-4rd groups, somewhat more than just occasionally, at 300yds. But, 600yds is rough (for me, at least). 1000yds, even worse. That pulse and breathing thing that occurs with most of us is a real booger at greater distances, something that no mere ultralight trigger's gonna fool. Ooof.

:yup: Impressive marksmanship. And, no doubt, on a sweet bolt-action.

#26 ·
I once built a gun in 300 WSM that shot at 3/8s of an inch at both 100 and 200 yards (it opened up a little beyond that) and I figured that was just buying the right parts fitting them well and a whole lot of luck. that kind of group at 600 yds is way beyond anything my skills could manage. Consider me humbled!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.