Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I noted in the vaccination thread I started, what's going on in India is likely underreported. Two people I know from India have told me it is far worse that what is being reported. One is sending PPE to his family. Another, in his 40's, has lost two friends to the disease. There are likely many thousands more that are dying and not being counted as covid deaths. I've checked out a number of Indian papers and the press does not seem as obsessed with the story as one would think the press would be for such an outbreak.

While there was a spike here, it was never as bad here due to our healthcare and relatively clean environment.

Another reason I'm glad to live the US.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
If India had 10 million deaths, it would only equal 1% of it's population.
And of course, China is pressing it's advantage in the disputed regions along their shared border.
What a coincidence.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Their population has to have a disproportionate number of people with underlying health conditions which will contribute to the death rate. Not only due to the rampant poverty, but due to the medieval hygiene practices. People openly squat on the side of the road to drop a deuce. Intestinal parasites have to be widespread and undiagnosed.
I once worked at a company which sent people over to India several times a year. 80% of the time, they’d come back with a stomach issue. One guy got it so bad it almost killed him.
This could wipe out a large part of the population, similar to how pandemics did centuries ago - which is where India is compared to the Western World.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Their population has to have a disproportionate number of people with underlying health conditions which will contribute to the death rate. Not only due to the rampant poverty, but due to the medieval hygiene practices. People openly squat on the side of the road to drop a deuce. Intestinal parasites have to be widespread and undiagnosed.
I once worked at a company which sent people over to India several times a year. 80% of the time, they’d come back with a stomach issue. One guy got it so bad it almost killed him.
This could wipe out a large part of the population, similar to how pandemics did centuries ago - which is where India is compared to the Western World.
Might wish they were still part of the British empire right about now...

·
Registered
949 Posts
What is going on in India is what happens when millions of people decide to disregard science and attend a religious Festival.

·
Registered
Pistoleer
692 Posts
India has practically always been in a pandemic with the health and environmental issues that has always been there. Not surprised that covid it wreaking havoc on them. I would NEVER travel to that country.

·
Administrator
144,206 Posts
I have been following India.
It is all pretty doggone bad.
People are buying their own Oxygen cylinders if they are able to find one. The hospitals (such as they are) have no Oxygen or PPE.
They are running out of wood for the hundreds of cremation fires which are burning night and day.
I'm sure one of their viral variants will be popping up here before too much longer.

·
Registered
42,137 Posts
I find it hard to believe dysentery and typhoid have not wiped India out.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Wasn't discussed. We were talking foreign. When this was brewing up last March or so, the CDC sent this person to the far east to do surveillance. So overseas seems to be their specialty.

And our number may be UNDER reported also. I know they were when it was hitting big last spring/summer.

Did that same person tell you to take 3 zeros off the right of any number in the U.S.?

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Wasn't discussed. We were talking foreign. When this was brewing up last March or so, the CDC sent this person to the far east to do surveillance. So overseas seems to be their specialty.

And our number may be UNDER reported also. I know they were when it was hitting big last spring/summer.
I do not believe that our cases and deaths have been under reported at all.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts