Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I don't shoot indoors so I guess I don't know what I am missing. I shoot out in the woods by myself so no rules, no tables (unless I bring mine). Can run and shoot, anything you want. The one downside is blowing snow and/or 20 below zero. I will shoot down to 20 above but, any colder and I have to wear gloves which I hate.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I shoot at an outdoor range but the rain doesn't bother me. If it's raining I don't go:smile:

Being retired has its advantages. There is always tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
18,273 Posts
Since I was a kid, shooting for me has long been primarily a solitary activity enjoyed outside in the wide open spaces. I'm even not too keen on club ranges if they begin to get crowded. The very few instances where I've shot in an indoor range seemed pretty bleak by comparison with the freedom of shooting outdoors.

If I was restricted to only the range limitations, bad lighting, crowds, and constraints of the indoor range, not to mention the cost, I might put down shooting sports as a hobby and take up crochet.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
The courses go forward whether it's raining or not.
Hard to learn how to deal with adverse conditions and realistic scenarios when the sun is shining, the birds are singing and the bad guy is standing there twiddling his thumbs waiting to be dealt with, right?

·
Registered
887 Posts
We don't have any of that fancy ventilation and lighting here on the mountain. No fancy nothing. I do have the convenience of walking outside my door to my range. :smile:

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Since I was a kid, shooting for me has long been primarily a solitary activity enjoyed outside in the wide open spaces. I'm even not too keen on club ranges if they begin to get crowded. The very few instances where I've shot in an indoor range seemed pretty bleak by comparison with the freedom of shooting outdoors.

If I was restricted to only the range limitations, bad lighting, crowds, and constraints of the indoor range, not to mention the cost, I might put down shooting sports as a hobby and take up crochet.
Lord don't even get me started on club ranges. Between the membership process being like the selection process for a Hollywood hotspot to members acting all elite, I won't be doing those anymore.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Hard to learn how to deal with adverse conditions and realistic scenarios when the sun is shining, the birds are singing and the bad guy is standing there twiddling his thumbs waiting to be dealt with, right?
Exactly

·
Super Moderator
18,273 Posts
Lord don't even get me started on club ranges. Between the membership process being like the selection process for a Hollywood hotspot to members acting all elite, I won't be doing those anymore.
Or, you could be shooting on a range that formerly served as the city dump and was turned into the local law enforcement and club range after it outlived its usefulness as the dump (or the EPA compelled closure, whichever came first). The rifle range is laid out east to west which is wrong, however it's a narrow property with a hillside on the west end so that's the only way the range could be laid out. No friendly club meetings with after-meeting banter like old club of which I was a member in bygone times. It's close though and mostly unattended by shooters until right before deer season. Low annual fee, three minutes from our driveway, what's not to like?

It's 55 miles to the nearest indoor range from here. Our old family place is same distance in another direction and boundless shooting may be had there.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Due to the weather, most ranges in the area are indoors. The outdoor ones are either private club affairs, skeet only, or a county range across the river in WA which is overpriced and I stopped going there anyway due to almost being shot in the head a few years back.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I started looking for a outdoor range after I bought my first AR. The indoor range I used only allowed rifles in handgun calibers and you had to use their targets. Also they did not keep good maintenance on their equipment. It took me several months to find one. When I did I joined as a member. The membership got me a key to the range so I could go anytime I wanted within reason. ( No shooting after 6:00 pm or before 9:00 am.) I go in the morning before they open and it is like having my own private range. Now I shoot almost any targets I want,(cans,paper targets and so forth) and any guns I want,( rifles,handguns, shotguns etc.) I get free gun transfers and anything I order through them I pay what they pay. I use the range all I want with no charge for range time and all it cost is 350.00 a year.The only drawback is the weather but most of the time I will go at least once or twice a week.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
We don't have any of that fancy ventilation and lighting here on the mountain. No fancy nothing. I do have the convenience of walking outside my door to my range. :smile:
Same here with the backyard range, about the only thing I miss about an indoor range is being able to work low-light stuff by simply flipping a switch. This time of year I have to wait till 2100 to do any low-light work.

I also between yesterday and today spent 5hrs mowing and 1.5hrs spraying, which is something the indoor range guys aren't likely to be spending their weekend on....Did spend 2 hrs working drills on steel a few minutes ago though, so it balances out.

Chuck

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
I think the only things an indoor range are good for is 1) to be able to shoot when the weather is just excessively miserable to be outside, but you really want to shoot anyway and 2) if you live in a big city and it's a long distance to an outdoor range but you want a gunpowder fix and just don't have the time to make the drive.

I know that "if it ain't rainin' you ain't trainin'." I've certainly done my share of training in the rain, on multiple occasions. It certainly is worthwhile drawing from concealment when you are heavily encumbered by clothing. Have also trained on many cold days, too. Makes you really think about what you are doing.

Reactions: drift and Chuck R.

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
It's true that indoor ranges don't give one a lot of flexibility in how to shoot. Some are also quite poor in terms of lighting and air quality, but I suspect that's mostly the older ranges. I've visited one that was built recently, and it was actually quite pleasant.

Two things really annoy me about them:

1. More people go there, and thus the odds of shooting next to an idiot are higher.
2. The ones that have rifles and pistols on the same indoor range. I'd love for someone to explain to me the purpose of shooting a .308 with a 16" barrel and a muzzle brake at a target 20 yards away. On the plus side, if you can still hit with a pistol while someone's blazing away with that in the next lane, you're dealing with distraction well.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
I'm fortunate in that the range is within 5 minute of my home and since I was a charter member paying annual dues they let me use the private range in back where I can do anything I want (well, regarding drawing and firing). There is an outdoor range but it's half an hour away.

·
Registered
34,024 Posts
I prefer outdoors until about early July when the humidity and heat is unbearable. Then the indoor ranges are more useful but not preferable.

Reactions: OldChap and drift

·
Registered
519 Posts
After reading this thread, I can see the value of an outdoor range. Weather is a limiting factor but definitely worth it.

Reactions: drift

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
For me:
Indoor range is 1 mile from my house.
Outdoor spot I shoot at is 60 miles away.
Cost is the same for 1 person, $20 in either lane fee or gas. The more that go with me to outdoor spot the cheaper it gets.
Indoor is handgun caliber only, rifles in hg cal. is ok.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
I've never shot a firearm indoors. Those cinder block training houses don't really count. I'd bet those indoor ranges frown on tannerite. :image035:
@OldVet I prefer shooting in July when the temperatures get consistently above 70!

21 - 40 of 46 Posts